simple question, but a local guy wants to trade a Fender Mark hoppus bass, for just a regular mim jazz bass.

i got a mim jazz bass, both basses are in good condition, etc.

the mark hoppus bass has seymour duncan pickups....only one split pickup though. and only a tone nob.
i love a good tone, but i dont wanna change the stock pickups on my mim, because i'll probably sell it and buy something different in a couple of months.

the mark hoppus bass probably also has a higher resale value.

however, for the time being i dont wanna get stuck with a bass that only does pop punk.

thoughts? what would you do
I would say that if you could try playing it before doing a trade, I would before deciding. See if the sound could be changed to work for you with your gear, and then decide whether you want to or not. (at least this is what I would do)
I am me, in a more literal sense.
Quote by Zawlacki
I would say that if you could try playing it before doing a trade, I would before deciding. See if the sound could be changed to work for you with your gear, and then decide whether you want to or not. (at least this is what I would do)

i mean thats sort of the problem. i just started on bass; im still playing through a guitar amp.
when it comes to guitar i know a lot about different guitars, amps, pickups, and getting the tone i want.

i think my ears are still getting used to bass, and i have no idea what to look for. i like a warm thick bass tone....not really sure how to get it.

either way, i appreciate any advice. i want to hear opinions.
Quote by davem27
i mean thats sort of the problem. i just started on bass; im still playing through a guitar amp.
when it comes to guitar i know a lot about different guitars, amps, pickups, and getting the tone i want.

i think my ears are still getting used to bass, and i have no idea what to look for. i like a warm thick bass tone....not really sure how to get it.

either way, i appreciate any advice. i want to hear opinions.

Well, you probably want a bass amp to start with haha. Playing a bass guitar through a guitar amp can damage the amp/speaker in a bunch of different ways.
(signature removed, please choose another)
I put the same seymour duncan pickups in a squier p bass and couldnt recommend them enough. I play in a heavier hardcore band and they work perfectly. Super full and punchy. Half the time I pick it over my MIM jazz deluxe
If your playing through a guitar amp then why do you think the Mark Hoppus bass would make you stuck playing punk pop? Its not like the bass knows what style its playing, and your sound is gonna be way more limited by the amp than your bass.

And by only a tone knob do you mean it doesn't have a volume knob? Because that sounds inconvenient.
Quote by Trowzaa
what specs is your pc? like how much ram?

Quote by Hydra150
[IMG]http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large-5/three-rams-steve-mckinzie.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by eGraham
3 ram, nice

The Mark Hoppus signature bass has a single volume knob; not a tone knob. The jazz is probably a slightly more versatile bass, and you'd have to live with the connection between the Mark Hoppus bass and Mark Hoppus, but if that's not an issue for you then it comes down to whether you prefer the sound of a precision or a jazz. The Mark Hoppus is slightly more expensive new, but potentially a bit harder to sell on again because it's a little more "niche" than a standard jazz bass, which is as cookie cutter as you can get.
Spare a Cow
Eat a Vegan
I've played several different squire and fender jazz basses and my friends Mark Hoppus P bass. I'm not a huge fan of Hoppus and I don't really like the idea of signature basses and being connected to that artist, but his P bass is very nice.

The neck is comfortable, I think its a different profile to the usual P basses, and it has a very good thick tone (like most P basses). I wouldn't say its that different to a regular P bass to warrent the extra price but I'm not a P Bass expert. I'm not sure of the resale value either but still a very good bass.
You said you want a warm thick tone and that is the standard default P bass sound, so a P bass is probably what your after, not that you can't get that tone on a Jazz without a little EQing.

If it was me, I would keep the Jazz for now, get a bass amp and learn how to EQ and how bass works. Soloing the neck pick up on the jazz (turning the middle knob down) will get you a similar (not the same) sort of tone, as the pickup is in a similar place as the P bass.
Alternativley turning the tone control down (the bottom knob) will round off the sound.

I've put flats on my Jazz and EQed a drop off in bass at 40hz and below, a boost at 250hz for thump and a boost at 1.6khz for clarity. Love the sound, deep thump but clear and defined. You can get a good tone out of most all gear if you know what your doing, if you don't then you will never be happy.

Bass amp I would say is your priority, bass is never the same through anything else, but you can't go wrong with a P bass.
Last edited by JKing138 at Dec 6, 2013,