Zildjian or Sabian?

And Why?

Meinl...? or another off brand...pshhhh....

Which cymbals do you play and which are you basically saving up for aka (pay way too much money for metal that hangs on other metal)

GO!
Originally posted by J_Dizzle
THAAAANK YOU GoodCharloteSux is god
just the fact that Zildjian has been around since the Ottoman Empire is awesome.
Someone is wrong on the internet. Only you can help.

Originally Posted by Tulkas
Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
I own about 7 Zildjian cymbals (4 A Custom series, and 3 A series): 2 rides, a set of hi-hats, a splash, a fast crash, and 2 crash rides. I also have 2 meinls (the cheap ass ones): a ride (which i've drilled 5 medium diameter holes in) and a crash.

Every manufacturer makes at least a couple of cymbals that i like, but on the whole.... i just prefer the sound and the response of Zildjians. There's just something about that hiss.
zildjian. sabians are decent, but a nice zildjian really makes your kit pop. K series are my favorites. Save up for them
-Andrew H
band: syncopated groove punch
I own all 3 of those brands and don't believe that any is superior in any way. I do prefer certain cymals from each brand over the other, but to say that one is flat out better than another is just plain stupid.

My cymbals include:

13.25" Zildjian K Custom Hybrid Hi-Hats
17" Zildjian A Custom Crash
16" Zildjian A Custom Crash
18" Sabian HHX China
14" Sabian AAX China
20" Meinl Byzance Traditional Ride

If I had to do it all over again, I would probably buy a full set of Zildjian Ks, just because I really enjoy that dark tone... but I also don't have enough experience with Sabian's H line to say that I prefer them over the Ks. FWIW, Sabian's Vault line of crashes sound nearly identical to my A Customs, and the AAX are very close, too. I had a 15" HHX Evolution Crash a while back that I thought sounded pretty good... but I've come to the conclusion that I just can't do anything lower than 16" (aside from my little china).

My original ride was an A Custom and I wasn't happy with it, I had a 19" Avedis from the 70s, but it was too washy for me, the Meinl is great - Though I wouldn't mind a Sabian Raw Bell Dry Ride. My large china I neither love nor hate. I've gone through probably 15 different chinas, and the HHX is merely the one I can tolerate the most. Don't get me wrong - Sounds AWESOME on recordings, but man, that thing is annoying as hell live

My hats are simply the best sounding brighter hi-hats I've heard (and one look at the price of those things, and you'd certainly hope they sounded amazing... ). Tons of stick definition without being annoyingly clanky. I'm leaning more towards dark tones now, so the regular K would suit me better, I think, but I'm sure I'll miss these hats if I changed, they are my babies Meinl is a brand I haven't tried much of, but their Byzance series really intrigues me. I'd love to play more, but not many stores around here seem to stock them.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Ok, looks like I'm going to have to break the UG drummer mould here and say that I only own Sabian cymbals at the moment.

In use (In a 3-piece kit):
14" HHX Stage Hats
20" AAX-Plosion Crash

In cymbal bag (for use in 1-up 2-down kit):
8" AAX Splash
18" AAX-Plosion Fast Crash
19" AAX-Treme China
21" HH Raw Bell Dry Ride

(all bought used)

I think the main reason for this is that the kit at my friend's house (his brother's) was made up of Zildjian A customs, and they didn't sound particularly impressive for the price he paid for them (I remember the foot chick on the hats being really clanky, and the ride being super pingy and sounding like a bin lid when played around the edges, not worth £600-£800 to me)

Because of this, when I looked to upgrade my started cymbals I deliberately avoided Zildjians, and so I guess the next well-marketed company was Sabian. I first took a change on the 21" HH ride, buying used from eBay, loved it, so have had no reason to go back.

I do love the AAX-Plosion crashes, they're light enough to be played with hands (if you want to), and give a good fast crash. The 20" is also heavy/ large enough to be used as a ride with brushes/dowel rods, or when played close to the bell with sticks.

The china is awesomely brutal, but sadly is a bit much for what I play so I may sell it soon.

The only thing I'd really change is to swap to bigger hats (15" or maybe make some custom 16"s out of crashes), and ride (up to 22" or 24"), but I have no reason to be unhappy with what I have.

Something for me to investigate in the future would be some darker cymbals, either sticking with Sabian (e.g. Legacy line) or maybe looking at Zildjian Ks or Meinl Byzance. However this will be a long way off since I'm poor
Last edited by Lordyboy at Dec 6, 2013,
I play all Sabians as well, but that is basically because I am OCD and I like my cymbals to match. I am of the opinion that the AAXplosions are the best crash cymbals made, and I have played just about every brand available. I am not a fan of Turkish cymbals, they seem a little dark and slow to me. I am really a fan of Meinl cymbals, and may one day switch completely to them. They just need to make a crash that compares to the AAXplosion so I can have a matching set.
Quote by leo4sf
I play all Sabians as well, but that is basically because I am OCD and I like my cymbals to match. I am of the opinion that the AAXplosions are the best crash cymbals made, and I have played just about every brand available. I am not a fan of Turkish cymbals, they seem a little dark and slow to me. I am really a fan of Meinl cymbals, and may one day switch completely to them. They just need to make a crash that compares to the AAXplosion so I can have a matching set.

Huh?

Meinl cymbals are made in Turkey by Murat Diril, former Instanbul cymbal maker.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Huh?

Meinl cymbals are made in Turkey by Murat Diril, former Instanbul cymbal maker.

I actually think Murat stopped making the blanks for Meinl and Paiste when he started his own company. Either way, you are correct that Meinls are made in Turkey, but they bare very little resemblance to Istambul, Murat, Diril, Soultone, TRX, or any of the other "turkish" cymbals.
Paiste! I have a couple 2002s and some discontinued Innovations and I love them.
Depends, on the metal and on the shape and on the hammering and all that shit.

Most of my cymbals are old as ****, but still:
20" Meinl Laser raid, must B20, sounds nice and full.
20" Meinl Meteor raid, which I personally filled with holes because it's brass and I got it for €11 on ebay so I said **** it, and now it has become my main raid.
18" Zildjan bell-less ride, and the model name is worn off. Jazzy as ****.
16" Meinl Laser crash. I think the laser series was the higher end line when 30 or so years ago Meinl was still a low end manufacturer.
14" paiste 302 hi-hats because **** buying new cymbals.
10" broken UFIP brillant crash. Brillant indeed.

I tend to like B12 more than other stuff and I think Sabian and Zildjian don't even make B12 cymbals, so Meinl and UFIP for me.
Also, I developed this kinda hate for Zildjan when I started playing and I wasn't really an expert and I've seen Green Day's drummer was endorsed by them while browsing cymbals of them :P
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I have all Sabian cymbals except for a Zildjian splash. I like to buy Sabian partially because they're made in Canada, also because I like their sound and they feel a bit denser/durable, but that will change with different models and grades of cymbals. I can't stress enough, TRY a cymbal before you buy it, know what sound you're going to be paying for and make sure it's what you want.
Last.fm So you can make fun of my taste in music
Youtube So you can make fun of my videos
I have Sabians and they are excellent. I also played Zildjians for many years and haven't a bad thing to say about them. The most important thing to remember about both cymbal companies is that they use the same metal mixture, since the brother who started Sabian was part owner of Zildjian and left the company over a disagreement as I recall.

What you get is different variations on the same cymbals. You don't have to go entirely with one brand either. Buy what applies best to what you are doing and don't be foolishly brand loyal. I have an inverted Wuhan that I use as my trash, just for its specific sound that you can't get from anyone else. Paiste makes a good high-ring cymbal if you can use that for certain things.

Unless you're getting sponsor money, don't be blindly brand loyal. If it sounds good for you buy it.
I definitely like Sabians the best, especially the chinas, though I do have a 20" zildjian A custom crash, 13" K custom hats, and a 10" A splash, and a 22" paiste dark metal ride. I love the ride, but the crash isn't really what I'm looking for, and the hats don't quite do it for me either. I love all my Sabians though, and all the ones I've ever heard, so I've got to go with them.
I'm with the majority on here that both companies have their advantages, and I generally judge each cymbal individually. I definitely tend to lean towards Zildjian, but until somebody offers an endorsement deal (lol!), I'm going with what sounds good.

That being said, if you like Zildjian K's, I would highly recommend Dream Cymbals. Their bliss line is fantastic and much cheaper than the big name companies. I have one of their rides and absolutely love it to death.
Remember, Sabian was started when two Zildjian brothers had a falling out. Also, I've been playing for 20+ years, and I still can't tell what brand/series cymbals are being used in a recording.... Just close your eyes and start hitting cymbals in the store, buy the one the sounds good to you. Mostly A Custom guy here, but I use Wuhan and Zildjian pitch black chinas, simply because they sounded like what I wanted. Here's a pic.

I love all 5 (sold a couple) of my Carvin X-100b's.
I personally prefer Sabian cymbals; but i have Zildjian on my kit hahaha!

I feel that Sabian are more 'professional'- maybe better for recording and playing gigs when you're doing alright as a band. I'd say that Zildjian are probably more affordable (ranges such as the ZBTs and ZHTs) and are more for intermediate/beginner drummers or for general practise.

Obviously this is my own opinion, but I just feel that Sabian cymbals are better, I love the HHX range and the AAX range
Thinking about switching over to either Zildjian K, Meinl Byzance or Istanbul Agop right now... Decided I'm tired of the bright cymbal sound... need me some more dark cymbals!
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
I have a mix of Sabian and Zildjian and it depends on what session/gig/band I'm playing with.
But **** it, here's my list. My current setup first, and then all my other cymbals after.

13" Sabian HHX Manhattan Jazz hi hats
17" Zildjian A medium-thin crash
20" Zildjian K custom Dark Ride
16" Murat Diril aggressive china (Professionally repaired and o-zoned)
20" UFIP crash (Not sure on model, but it's an oldie from the 60's I believe)

Now on to the rest of my collection:

Zildjian
13" Zildjian K/Z combo hi hats
14" Zildjian A New Beats
14" Zildjian K custom dark hats
15" Zildjian Pitch Black Mastersounds (Very, VERY good for heavy rock/metal)

14" A custom crash
15" K dark thin crash
16" K dark medium thin crash
17" K custom hybrid crash
17" K dark thin crash
17" K custom dark crash
18" Pitch black crash
18" K dark thin crash
18" Constantinople crash

18" K custom flat top ride
20" K jazz ride
20" K custom dark ride (Yes, I have two)
22" Constantinople hi bell ride
21" A Rock ride

Sabian
13" HHX Groove hats
14" HHX evolution hats
14" HH fusion hats

2x 16" HHX evolution crash
16" AAX studio crash
16" AAX stage crash
17" HHX evolution crash
18" AAX studio crash
18" HHX evolution crash
18" HHX ozone crash
19" Holy China

20" HHX evo ride
20" AAX stage ride
21" HH raw bell ride
22" HHX manhattan jazz ride

And then I have the odd Paiste 2002 crash/ride kicking around somewhere.

And for the love of God it's pronounced Pie-Stee!

Anywho, it's a matter of personal preference but each line has it's good and bad from every manufacturer, give them a try first!

I used to use Stagg DH cymbals (The newer ones) and in a blind test with that and some of my K's, some friends of mine couldn't tell which was which. So always be open to trying new stuff.
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra
They let black people on Fox now?

They also let white people into the KFC and the NBA now.
Quote by Swinefluis
I personally prefer Sabian cymbals; but i have Zildjian on my kit hahaha!

I feel that Sabian are more 'professional'- maybe better for recording and playing gigs when you're doing alright as a band. I'd say that Zildjian are probably more affordable (ranges such as the ZBTs and ZHTs) and are more for intermediate/beginner drummers or for general practise.

Obviously this is my own opinion, but I just feel that Sabian cymbals are better, I love the HHX range and the AAX range

Zildjian and Sabian cymbals are made from identical bronze alloys, using nearly identical mechanized manufacturing processes. They are also identically overpriced. Given the choice between Sabian and Zildjians, I go Zildjian because I find that Sabians on the whole are a little too thick. That being said, I would say you get more pluck for you buck from a company like Istanbul, Bosphorus, or Crescent because they're handmade and run about the same price as a machine made Zildjian or Sabian. Of course, there are even companies out of Asia and South America these days like Dream and Strondo that give the two big North American manufacturers a run for their money.
Quote by Niiko
I have a mix of Sabian and Zildjian and it depends on what session/gig/band I'm playing with.
But **** it, here's my list. My current setup first, and then all my other cymbals after.

13" Sabian HHX Manhattan Jazz hi hats
17" Zildjian A medium-thin crash
20" Zildjian K custom Dark Ride
16" Murat Diril aggressive china (Professionally repaired and o-zoned)
20" UFIP crash (Not sure on model, but it's an oldie from the 60's I believe)

Now on to the rest of my collection:

Zildjian
13" Zildjian K/Z combo hi hats
14" Zildjian A New Beats
14" Zildjian K custom dark hats
15" Zildjian Pitch Black Mastersounds (Very, VERY good for heavy rock/metal)

14" A custom crash
15" K dark thin crash
16" K dark medium thin crash
17" K custom hybrid crash
17" K dark thin crash
17" K custom dark crash
18" Pitch black crash
18" K dark thin crash
18" Constantinople crash

18" K custom flat top ride
20" K jazz ride
20" K custom dark ride (Yes, I have two)
22" Constantinople hi bell ride
21" A Rock ride

Sabian
13" HHX Groove hats
14" HHX evolution hats
14" HH fusion hats

2x 16" HHX evolution crash
16" AAX studio crash
16" AAX stage crash
17" HHX evolution crash
18" AAX studio crash
18" HHX evolution crash
18" HHX ozone crash
19" Holy China

20" HHX evo ride
20" AAX stage ride
21" HH raw bell ride
22" HHX manhattan jazz ride

And then I have the odd Paiste 2002 crash/ride kicking around somewhere.

And for the love of God it's pronounced Pie-Stee!

Anywho, it's a matter of personal preference but each line has it's good and bad from every manufacturer, give them a try first!

I used to use Stagg DH cymbals (The newer ones) and in a blind test with that and some of my K's, some friends of mine couldn't tell which was which. So always be open to trying new stuff.

Holy ****, that's quite the collection!

Wanna trade me some of those Ks?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Holy ****, that's quite the collection!

Wanna trade me some of those Ks?

Haha you wish!
I didn't even realize that it's a pretty lengthy list.

But if it makes you feel any better, here's a picture of my one off Aggressive china

https://soundcloud.com/cymbalmagic/diril-16-aggressive-china

Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra

I bet that thing is trashy!!! Looks awesome as well!! I think I can sneak one of them past my wife
I love all 5 (sold a couple) of my Carvin X-100b's.
Oh it is, there's a soundcloud clip just above the picture if you want to hear it
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra

Sounds pretty cool.

Think I'm gonna try and go for the Meinl Byzance Flat China this time. It seems to have the short decay and lower pitch I want, that isn't going to completely overtake everything else in volume. If that doesn't work, I'll probably go without a China. Sick and tired of their loudness and harshness, but I love the trashy tone. Oh wellz.

REALLY like the Dream cymbals you have on your Soundcloud, definitely something to look into, too. They're fairly inexpensive, last I saw. That K Constantinople sounds great, too - as do the Staggs, suprisingly!
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Sounds pretty cool.

Think I'm gonna try and go for the Meinl Byzance Flat China this time. It seems to have the short decay and lower pitch I want, that isn't going to completely overtake everything else in volume. If that doesn't work, I'll probably go without a China. Sick and tired of their loudness and harshness, but I love the trashy tone. Oh wellz.

REALLY like the Dream cymbals you have on your Soundcloud, definitely something to look into, too. They're fairly inexpensive, last I saw. That K Constantinople sounds great, too - as do the Staggs, suprisingly!

Have you tried just stacking cymbals? I use to stacl an 8" splash under an 18" efx crash to get a trashy sound

And that's not my soundcloud by the way, it belongs to a friend of mine who professionally repairs and modifies cymbals. He was the guy that did my china for me!

The newer staggs from the past couple of years are amazing cymbals. They got a bad rep for their earlier stuff but now they'e got a really good line. A friend of mine has a DH ride that sounds very very close to my k custom dark rides and for a 3rd of the cost. Don't knock them til you try them!
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra

Quote by Niiko
Have you tried just stacking cymbals? I use to stacl an 8" splash under an 18" efx crash to get a trashy sound

I have a few times and it just produced a really dead sound, wasn't too huge on it. Maybe I need lighter cymbals?

How do you like those 14" K Custom Dark Hats? I was just offered a pair in trade for my 13.25" K Custom Hybrids and they seem interesting. Mainly worried that they won't have enough sizzle when closed, like my Hybrids do... most hats sound like a small click and that's it...
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
I have a few times and it just produced a really dead sound, wasn't too huge on it. Maybe I need lighter cymbals?

How do you like those 14" K Custom Dark Hats? I was just offered a pair in trade for my 13.25" K Custom Hybrids and they seem interesting. Mainly worried that they won't have enough sizzle when closed, like my Hybrids do... most hats sound like a small click and that's it...

Yeah, it's why I prefer mastersound style hi hats or the Zildjian Quick Beats because of the sizzle and the chick. But they're really good hats, wouldn't recommend them for the heavier styles of rock/metal but very good sounding hats all round.
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra

^yeah, got to try them the other day, sound cool open but it must be the mastersound hammering that does it for me, cause i tried like 20 pairs of hats and none could touch the hybrids when closed.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Well...

I've kind gone on a cymbal-buying/trading spree lately to find the perfect set for me. Here's what I currently own...

22" UFiP Class Light Ride
22" Zildjian K Light Ride
22" Zildjian A Ride (1960's)
20" Meinl Byzance Traditional Heavy Ride
20" Paiste Sound Formula Dry Ride
20" Paiste 404 Medium Crash

20" Paiste Traditionals Flat Light Ride
20" Paiste 2000 Sound Reflector Mellow China
19" Sabian HH Viennese Crash
18" Sabian AA Crash / Ride
18" Zildjian A Crash (70s)
18" Zildjian Armand Thin Crash

18" Paiste Signature Heavy China
16" Zildjian Armand Thin Crash
16" Sabian Artisan Crash

16" Sabian AAX Stage Crash
16" Paiste 404 Crash
14" Sabian HH Bright Hats
14" Paiste 404 Heavy Hats
14" Sabian APX Crash

14" Sabian AAX Mini Chinese
13" Zildjian Z Custom Dyno Beat bottom hat
12" Saluda Mist Splash

I also have a 24 and 20" Paiste Giant Beat Multis on the way

Everything that's bolded is what I plan to keep for now. I'll likely end up selling the Armands - I'm not really using the 16, but I wanna try it with the 404 16" as a pair of hi-hats, and I really like the 18", but I think I like the 70's A just a bit more. It's a bit darker and has more low end.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
I also have a 24 and 20" Paiste Giant Beat Multis on the way

Must....hide...green eyes. Too much stuff there Matrix, send some to me maybe?

I think I've finally found a set of cymbals I'm fully happy with (all Sabian):

15" HHX-Celerator Hats
20" AAX-Plosion Crash
8" AAX Splash (not shown)
22" HHX Legacy Heavy Ride
19" AAX-Treme China

...but now I want MORE. Wouldn't mind sets of Zildjian Ks (Light Hats and Ride, Dark Crashes), Meinl Byzance Brilliant, Paiste 602 Modern Essentials etc etc... maybe before I die I'll get hold of them
Quote by Lordyboy
Must....hide...green eyes. Too much stuff there Matrix, send some to me maybe?

I think I've finally found a set of cymbals I'm fully happy with (all Sabian):

15" HHX-Celerator Hats
20" AAX-Plosion Crash
8" AAX Splash (not shown)
22" HHX Legacy Heavy Ride
19" AAX-Treme China

...but now I want MORE. Wouldn't mind sets of Zildjian Ks (Light Hats and Ride, Dark Crashes), Meinl Byzance Brilliant, Paiste 602 Modern Essentials etc etc... maybe before I die I'll get hold of them

That's a nice setup you have there! I'd really like to pick up one of those Legacy Rides at some point. For a while, my entire setup was Sabian, except for my ride, and the Legacy was one of the rides I was looking to replace it... but then I got some other cymbals I liked and replaced a few of the Sabians and gave up on my idea of having a complete set How do you like those HHX-Celerator hats? I've never tried 15s and didn't even realize they made those in that size! I'm using some of my 16s as hi-hats right now, but they're too low-pitched and don't have enough definition for me... I'm thinking 15s would be a happy medium. I think if I like the Giant Beats, I'll pick up the 15" hats to go with them and make a set out of em.

I'm gonna play around a bit more with my 60's 22" Zildjian A and the two Armands this week. I feel like they'd match very well together (I'd hope so... given the Armands are Zildjian's attempt to recreate the 60's A :p, though I'm still not sure that's really the sound for me... but I have this thing where I'd like to have at least one matching set - and a pair of 60s New Beats doesn't cost too much...

Don't get me wrong, that 22" is a cool cymbal, but I don't think I'd want to use it as my only ride in a setup and I don't really want to take up any more real-estate on my kit with another large cymbal its size. If I had more space, I'd keep it as a trashy sounding crash - sounds really cool for that - but it's a bit too light for a main ride for me and the bell is terrible, at least when you compare it to my Paiste Sound Formula's, which will tear your head off.

My main setup currently consists of:

20" Paiste 404 Crash
18" Zildjian A Crash
16" Sabian Artisan Crash
14" Sabian 404 Heavy Hats

I really wanna mix the K Light Ride in there somewhere, but again... it takes up a lot of space when I have the 20" Paiste up and I don't think I'd feel comfortable replacing the SF ride with it.

Maybe I just need a bigger room and more stands....
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
That's a nice setup you have there! I'd really like to pick up one of those Legacy Rides at some point.

Hehe thanks, I really can recommend the Legacy line, I took a punt on this one used (I used to have a 21" HH Raw Bell but it was never quite what I wanted, too pingy and not dark or washy enough) and was really impressed with it. It takes some getting used to how dark it is, the crash is a little clangy if you just play it on its own but sounds good live and records well, and the clangy-ness disappears if you're any distance away.

To say its the heaviest of the 3 Legacy models, it is really versatile and I'd recommend it. I'm thinking about getting the 20" to use as a crash-ride on a 3-piece setup (with just hats and a crash/ride), since the 22" lacks a little of the attack you'd want from a pure crash cymbal

Quote by MatrixClaw
How do you like those HHX-Celerator hats? I've never tried 15s and didn't even realize they made those in that size!

I really like them, not so articulate closed (but doesn't really matter since I work mainly in quarter note patterns), but they're awesome when you open them up. Again, I got them used, but I think you can get them new in places but Sabian doesn't list them on their website and I think they've been out of production for a while.

Quote by MatrixClaw
I really wanna mix the K Light Ride in there somewhere, but again... it takes up a lot of space when I have the 20" Paiste up and I don't think I'd feel comfortable replacing the SF ride with it.

It depends on what you're setup is in terms of toms, if you have your main ride where mine is you could maybe put it where the china is on my kit, since then it'd be in a good place to use at the end of a fill, and also accessible to ride on
Quote by Lordyboy
Hehe thanks, I really can recommend the Legacy line, I took a punt on this one used (I used to have a 21" HH Raw Bell but it was never quite what I wanted, too pingy and not dark or washy enough) and was really impressed with it. It takes some getting used to how dark it is, the crash is a little clangy if you just play it on its own but sounds good live and records well, and the clangy-ness disappears if you're any distance away.

To say its the heaviest of the 3 Legacy models, it is really versatile and I'd recommend it. I'm thinking about getting the 20" to use as a crash-ride on a 3-piece setup (with just hats and a crash/ride), since the 22" lacks a little of the attack you'd want from a pure crash cymbal

Any idea on the weight? I used to be big into heavy rides, but I crash on my ride a lot now and I've really been getting into lighter ones now. My only issue is I like a drier ping. So far, seems fairly impossible to have something that does both very well; but I've been leaning more towards a washy sound lately, as long as the bell still sounds killer. I think out of the Legacies, I was mainly looking at the 21". The bell still sounds great in the clips and if it's really that dark, then it's definitely one I'll have to try!

Quote by Lordyboy
I really like them, not so articulate closed (but doesn't really matter since I work mainly in quarter note patterns), but they're awesome when you open them up. Again, I got them used, but I think you can get them new in places but Sabian doesn't list them on their website and I think they've been out of production for a while.

That's what I'm mostly afraid of - that larger cymbals won't be articulate enough for me. It's not that I play a lot of quick stuff up top, but I do like to break up slower hi-hat beats with some 16 notes here and there and that's where the 16" pairings are falling short for me. I think if I had a heavier crash for the bottom, it'd be better - I dunno

I've definitely got my eyes set on some 15" Giant Beats right now. Assuming I dig the 24" and 20" multis, I think those will be next on my list to pick up. Sold my 18" Paiste Signature Heavy China today, so I've got a little extra cash floating around (then again, I also bought a Paiste 505 China this morning, too... I think I have a problem ).

Quote by Lordyboy
It depends on what you're setup is in terms of toms, if you have your main ride where mine is you could maybe put it where the china is on my kit, since then it'd be in a good place to use at the end of a fill, and also accessible to ride on

Mine are set up very similar to yours, but I have a 14" and 16" floor tom, with my 12" rack tom mounted on the bass drum. My cymbals are basically in the same positions as yours, except my 16" crash is above your 18" and more between your ride and the 18".

I really want to use the 22" as a left-side ride, but I can't think of a place to put it that would be ergonomic and still fit in the space I have... I still have to find room for the 20" Paiste Mellow China that'll be here Thursday. My current setup is (from left to right):

14" Paiste 404 Heavy Hats
20" Paiste 404 Medium Crash
16" Sabian Artisan Crash
18" Zildjian A Crash

So the 20" Mellow China will probably go somewhere close to center, cause I'm not really sure where else it'll fit ( ) and the 22" K Light Ride will have to go somewhere on the left, if I can even make it work at all.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Got the Paiste 2000 Mellow China last night. FINALLY! A china cymbal that isn't insanely loud!

It's not quite as dark and trash as I was hoping for, but I kind of assumed that with the B8 alloy. Either way, it'll be infinitely more useful than anything I've had in the past that was just so insanely loud and overpowering that it drowned out everything else. Should mix well with the Giant Beats!

So excite
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com