Page 5 of 31
lessons from race practice
-life gain on hit + reave was a good idea
-hit level 11 before cavern of anger so you aren't trying to farm up the xp for your cold ring in the middle of exploding death tentacles
-flameblast is seriously strong

my duelist and thrash's templar just needs like a freezing pulse/aurabitch to complete the way2stronk threesome

SHEd: freezing pulse (and no other elemental) scion that rushes elemental equilibrium then runs into the aura stuff would work perfect.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Last edited by SteveHouse at Mar 27, 2014,
Quote by SteveHouse
lessons from race practice
-life gain on hit + reave was a good idea
-hit level 11 before cavern of anger so you aren't trying to farm up the xp for your cold ring in the middle of exploding death tentacles
-flameblast is seriously strong

my duelist and thrash's templar just needs like a freezing pulse/aurabitch to complete the way2stronk threesome

SHEd: freezing pulse (and no other elemental) scion that rushes elemental equilibrium then runs into the aura stuff would work perfect.

so i did math and i think i wouldve been close to 18, i miscalculated crash times and such.

your being slightly underleveled for merv and farming the wrong zone hurts otherwise i couldve gotten near 20 possibly
we got really poor rng from coves is what the problem was. just birds and vulnerability crabs. a second ledge run might fix that problem.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

you also farmed some mobs while i was hopping to town to actually pick up quest gems C:

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

if one o you guys messages me on steam next time you play, I may be up for it, though I'd probably just have to start a new character and I never got very far anyway but i can play meatshield for all i care
I really need to start investing in crafting a casting staff. The sheer levels of ridiculousness you can get if you invest enough into it combined with it syncing up with a kaoms is just insane.

You can get 108% spell damage, 22% cast speed, +1 to level of gem, +2 to fire/cold, 95% increased crit chance, 35% increased crit multiplier with 18% implicit block if you do a maelstrom

you can have a level 28 freezing pulse. i googled it and the numbers legitimately do not exist for how powerful that would be (+3, empower +1 from vaal = 28 = gg)

wands suck because you can't get a 6 link which means you can't really take advantage of the filthy + to level rolls.

someone want to lend me 100 exalts or so?
Stuff came up, sorry. Means i am free literally all weekend to race though. Sorry, not everyone in my life had quite the loose ㄊㄜㄐㄨ
i rip'd in sins 3 to a magical desyncing oneshot from a trash mob. there was minor rip rage. things were already going very poorly though. RNGesus was not on my side, used my rusted sword all the way to coves, farming zones were full of rare mobs, just stupid. my duelist isnt fast enough at the lower levels anyway. not until he hits around 20, and i was solo so i didn't have solid damage to carry me.

descent champions at midnight, then tomorrow's races i'll probably try a different build. something ranged. maybe just good ol freezing pulse. for memories

apparently that is midnight mountain

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Last edited by SteveHouse at Mar 28, 2014,
do you normally rip to brutus? like, he's so easy, i don't understand

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

ah. race desync is a bitch. you got rekt that second time like i did in sins 3

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

So I just found one of these:

The extra rares roll is spectacularly shitty but oh well.

For whatever reason I seem to be able to sustain myself on 69+ maps as long as I'm doing them alone. I'm guessing it has to do with the IIQ gem linked to incinerate. You're gonna need to get more IIQ I think.
12 additional rare two handed maces

thats the most hilariously specific thing

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

one of my unique weapons in the first chest, adam, had lightning resist. i took it because fvck the pagan god. 2h swords seem to work well w/ST so everything came together i just went really cautiously bc i have bullshit ripped in low levels of DC too many times.

now that you know what you're looking at you can make better item choices along the way. probably wise to stack eva for the brute.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

The 3rd ripping to Brutus I'm referring to is a slightly different Brutus on the Descent races (which you really need to try because it is incredibly fun).

Fair enough with the maces, but I'd value a wands roll more than a maces one just because then I feel like I have a chance at improving my class. There's a long way to go from finding a good rare mace to actually turning it into something usable on my character, unless it's a ridiculously good mace which is quite frankly not very likely.

I'm not sure when we'll run it. Maybe try 75/76 maps or something first to see if we can handle the increased damage and life that the map has.

The guy that came up with my build made a bunch of changes to the gems and those changes have to happen to effect the colours of my beautiful Aurseizes so it'll take me a while for me to fix the issue. Probably just gonna dump the Aurseizes if I can find 20 IIR gloves with better resists/life. His changes are pretty smart and make me much stronger against heavy hitting physical packs so maybe I'll sort that out before we do the map.
Last edited by CaptainRon at Mar 29, 2014,
Brutus + summon skeletons + soul devourer + like 80% attack speed + racing-level desync = The Brute

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

a good two handed mace can be sold to improve your character

gonna race most of sat/sun if you boys are game

give me one of your quantity gems to run in my fire trap tbh if its an issue. and that map is supposedly very hard, its piety mobs
i'll miss the totem party today and might be a bit late to fixed seed but after that i'm catching everything i can in NA timezone this weekend. it's all solo though. in fact theres no party races while im awake for a long time.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by SteveHouse
i'll miss the totem party today and might be a bit late to fixed seed but after that i'm catching everything i can in NA timezone this weekend. it's all solo though. in fact theres no party races while im awake for a long time.

moral support <333
ancestral is like the map roll that makes totems spawn everywhere? fracturing many totems flashbacks =[[[
yes correct ancestral = totems

the only totems you should really be annoyed with are regen/crit/Vaal, and the only ones you should be actually afraid of are the detonate dead one and the one that uses lightning warp. it's like a shitty version of the bullshit lightning totem in DC.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by SteveHouse
yes correct ancestral = totems

the only totems you should really be annoyed with are regen/crit/Vaal, and the only ones you should be actually afraid of are the detonate dead one and the one that uses lightning warp. it's like a shitty version of the bullshit lightning totem in DC.

diamond totems are the worst sry
diamond totems are a nuisance if you have a ranged attack. at worst. (we will speak nothing of the diamond totem next to the cold totem in that one corrupted zone that instafroze you because that was just bullshit.)

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by SteveHouse
diamond totems are a nuisance if you have a ranged attack. at worst. (we will speak nothing of the diamond totem next to the cold totem in that one corrupted zone that instafroze you because that was just bullshit.)

thats what im referring to with diamond totems sucking lol, it happened again on the fracture map where the diamond totems fractured and i got freezefked
corrupting blood mechanics
The Nemesis modifier Corrupting Blood works differently than normal bleeding. It still deals physical damage[1] over time and can be removed with a Staunching flask, but characters receive one charge when they hit a Corrupting Blood rare monster, up to twenty charges. Damage is based on...?

you have to kite the shit out of corrupting blood mobs or use traps/poisonarrow type aoe.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

reep

slept through the DC this afternoon feels bad man. now its proving impossible to find any videos of recent races for act 2 learnings

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

BIG BORING POST ABOUT RACING WARNING

i found useful things for all of us in this

#2: Don’t bitch about it, Play the Lag: This is one of the toughest, but at least more familiar, rules. Don’t “wait” for the game to catch up to you. This takes several forms. The most normal for me is that if I know 2-3 hits will kill a majority of a pack I fire twice and move the hell on. Half the time I’m almost off screen and then 5 mobs fall dead behind me. You have to trust your game sense more than the screen. Other people get through the lag so if you’re dying to descync it’s because you’re dying and can’t handle it, not because you’re a special laggy snowflake. Some tips to help avoid that:

•Learn what desync looks like: Running through tight corridors, hitting a chest and no reaction… obvious ones. There are more subtle indications though. If I’m using fire trap and the trap lands wildly far away (or explodes off the graphic) I’m descyned. Casting curses that fail to hit seemingly targeted mobs is a good one. Mobs dying off of where you’re using your primary damage skill (for example, behind me while I’m ground slamming). /OOS immediately once you sense a desync.

• Hit potions early: I’m listing it under compensating for lag because it can be fatal to “wait” until you see damage to apply a potion. The primary issue here is staying at high life early in a fight against a pack, and not getting in to critical territory until most mobs are almost dead. I default to simply assuming I will need potions in many fights. You DO NOT want to run out of mana at a critical juncture. The main issue here is that compared to the main game you’re going to be fighting up levels and with much weaker equipment. Of course this doesn’t apply to famine races (more on this later).

•Open chest, keep moving: If a chest seems within reach, it’s worth opening. Don’t go out of your way but if you run by it anyways, click it but keep moving . Chances are the drop will be awful, but chests and etc. often drop currency and sometimes decent items (heck I got a limbsplit and a wurm’s molt from chests)

•Don’t correct for lag unless it is absolutely critical: For example, try to open a chest, pick up an item, whatever. But if you’ve already bypassed it, don’t go back. Except for flask drops that you need, currency that’s relevant, and obvious upgrades to your current equipment, it’s just not worth.

In narrow passages kill monster packs or you will desync/get stuck. If it looks like it might cut you off, just save yourself the trouble and kill them instead of finding out you got desynced 5 seconds later and rubberbanding.

#9: LEDGE AT LEVEL 4: This should set up your mentality for the early levels in terms of killing mobs. You want to hit ledge around Level 4. MAYBE level 5 if you get insanely lucky on pack size in submerged passage. Level 4 is the lowest level that gives you full experience at ledge.

that actually really confused me because I didn't know there was a mechanic that prevented you from getting full experience. there's a google doc in wiki/Experience that basically looks like this follows an easy rule: if you're 4 levels under the monster level, you are fine. this is why rushing to western forest slowed me down so much yesterday. that's a level 21 zone and I was hitting it at level 14. That's 22.74% XP. Ew. you don't even get proper xp out of Blackwood at 14. that's also why i got so much out of Ledge: i hit 4 in submerged so I was 100% all the way at ledge.
#14 You can move while screens are open: If you’re stopped while ID’ing items, stopped while choosing passives, stopped while swapping gems, gear, whatever, you’re wrong. You can move and do a majority of things in the game, the most notable being passive allocation, which I will do in combat if necessary.

#15 If you stop to farm before your terminal location, you lost: "Old" race strategy involved farming ledge to level 8 or 9, farming at certain locations, whatever. it is ALWAYS preferable to move on rather than stay and farm until you are sure you no longer want to progress.

Skip this shithole. Find the coast and run it until you hit the Coves. There is nothing good here. You will get frozen, charged, shocked, vulnerability cursed, and all manner of bad things if you hang out. If you get lucky, take an opportunity if you hit a blue pack of the spectral corsairs all alone for some XP, but mostly just run and pray you don’t lag yourself in to the middle of a pack and get alpha’d in to oblivion.

sometimes that isn't even good enough and you grab a vulnerability curse as you runrunrun and a move speed rhoa charges and one shots you. still mad.

[spoiler="on ways to run Act 2[/spoiler"]
There’s a number of ways to proceed through A2:

•If I’m very underlevelled and undergeared, I run Riverways->Blackwood WP (WP to town) -> Chamber of Sins -> Weaver -> Forest -> Kraityn. The Blackwood WP means you’ll never “backtrack” and have to run an area twice. (since your furthest point of advance is the WP, and you can come right back to it).

•if I have at least one topaz ring already, a lot of ID scrolls, or very good DPS, I buy the remaining topaz I need, and kill enough in the Old Fields and Crossroads to get 15 or near it, and hit CoS immediately.

•Other people run the Weaver first. Personally with my build I find this difficult since the 1.0 buff to the Weaver fight. I feel like it’s fairly dangerous compared to the CoS given good lightning resists. (Granted Fidelatis is still dangerous).

When you are looking for Vaal Ruins – There is a break in the path on one side (random) with two broken statue/stone pile looking things. Following this outwards you see a very faint pattern of rocks (a very ancient overgrown road) that leads to the vaal ruins.

there's a similar break in the road to find Alira at Western. That's what I was going to show you when we were doing that party practice run, thrash.

Another area with a path to follow. Find the stream (usually NE of the exist, sometimes NW, but usually fairly obvious). Your first clue will be the steep hill/waterfall and WP. Continue to follow the stream, you’ll see either the entrance to Oak’s compound, a wagon near the entrance, or the fence. In any case, you should have no trouble locating it by following the primary stream from the WP....If you’re lucky, Wetlands will spawn large packs of Oak’s Adherents, which are easy EXP in mass melee packs. If you’re unlucky you’ll get a haste aura rare venom snake with a blue pack of snakes along with it and cry.

He's got some strange things to say about certain classes, and since things have been rebalanced a lot since November there's a lot that's outdated or that I disagree with, but, the general advice in here is solid.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

id rather level at 3 or 4 in ledge than waste my time leveling on shittier packs if i dont have to. whats better, taking forever to get to 4 in bad zones or leveling 3->4 in ledge?