hello I was wondering if anyone knows why when I hook up my direct out on my guitar amp to my mixer tape in or preamp in it just buzzes and I dont hear anything from my speakers that are powered by the power amp. But if I just use headphones conneced to my mixer I hear it just fine?
Last edited by Hardinger94 at Dec 5, 2013,
Quote by Hardinger94
hello I was wondering if anyone knows why when I hook up my direct out on my guitar amp to my mixer tape in or preamp in it just buzzes and I dont hear anything from my speakers that are powered by the power amp. But if I just use headphones conneced to my mixer I hear it just fine?

could be user error or it could be a malfunctioning output. it could also possibly need a preamp, but most direct outs are already line level.

what amp are you using?
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
well my guitar amp is line 6 mkii 40 watt and my power amp is gemsound 1300 the sound im getting is the same sound you get when you touch the end of your guitar cable when its plugged into the guitar amp but not the guitar. Also if i just use a mic in the mixer it works fine no buzz
Last edited by Hardinger94 at Dec 5, 2013,
Quote by Hardinger94
well my guitar amp is line 6 mkii 40 watt and my power amp is gemsound 1300 the sound im getting is the same sound you get when you touch the end of your guitar cable when its plugged into the guitar amp but not the guitar. Also if i just use a mic in the mixer it works fine no buzz

well, doesn't look like much room for user error. it's got an XLR out, that should just plug right into a regular XLR on the mixer.

have you tried it with and without the ground lift on? that shouldn't really make the mixer get no signal either way, but i am just going through some trouble shooting.

there is also a 'performance mode' and a 'studio mode' out. don't know how you'd switch between them (i see no switch on the back of the amp) but i'd try it in both modes to see if just one of them is giving you a problem.

i'd also try using the 'preamp out' instead of the direct out just to see if you can get a signal from that. it'll help isolate the direct out as the problem.

if you get no signal from the direct out in all the modes and can still pass a signal from the effects loop to the mixer than i'd bet it's a hardware problem on the direct out.

-ae
If you can hear it from the mixers headphone out then the problem is in the mixer. Either your mixer is broken or you aren't selecting the correct routing for the signal. Time to read the mixer manual.

Can you hear anything else connected to the mixer (on the power amp, not the headphones)?
Last edited by fly135 at Dec 6, 2013,
Quote by Hardinger94
But if I just use headphones conneced to my mixer I hear it just fine?

i never even saw this part. fly is right, if you can hear it out the headphones using the mixer then the amp's output shouldn't be the problem.

-ae
I can use a mic on the mixer to the power amp and sounds find same with ipod. Ive had this sound/problem happen before with a receiver the same buzz when having it go to input, so im pretty sure the mixer is fine. and i tried the ground lift switch before on my amp and it made no difference.
well, that is a pretty serious mystery then. if you can hear it over the headphone outs on the mixer then you should be able to hear it through the mains, especially if you can get mics and ipods to play through the same channel.

-ae
yeh i dont get it. it doesnt matter what i plug it into on the mixer the speakers attached to the power amp just buzz and no sound...?
Quote by Hardinger94
yeh i dont get it. it doesnt matter what i plug it into on the mixer the speakers attached to the power amp just buzz and no sound...?

this is getting to the point where i'd have to be there in person to troubleshoot the problem, i am not even sure what kinda mixer you are using or what cables you are using to connect all these devices.

-ae
behringer mixer 1202fx main out of mixer going to rca in on power amp this is the cable used to connect them--- Live Wire RCA-1/4" Dual Patch Cable 4 Meters
4 Meters Hosa. Then just XLR on guitar amp to anything on mixer also preamp out on guitar amp does the same sound.
Its not the mixer i just bipassed it and went directly to the power amp from the direct out and still the same thing, I remember when i was using the receiver a week ago the same buzz
thing would happen when i went to the IN rcas on it so i used the 2 mic inputs that were 1/4 inputs and it worked fine... Also i can plug the direct out into a small stereo with 2 speakers and it works fine
Last edited by Hardinger94 at Dec 6, 2013,
Guys i just figured it out it was just a really bad ground loop. plugged it into the same receptacle as my headphones and little stereo and works good now

too bad we couldn't be more helpful

-ae