Hi guys, I just joined today.

I am looking for someone who can help me maintain my motivation to continue my guitar practice consistently. I would say that I am about Intermediate level. I can play most of the basic open chords, power chords and barre chords. I also know some major, pentatonic and chromatic scales.

Right now my goal is to condition my pinky to stay close to my ring finger and move independently of it, so that when I play a melody, the pinky finger will be able to fret a note fast enough. My second goal is to maintain a straight wrist while playing notes and chords.

So...I don't know if this is the right place to look, but I hope some of you will be interested.
Last edited by Rimuel at Dec 6, 2013,
It's cool that you're serious about learning and improving.
I'll move this thread to the Guitar Techniques forum for you.

Heres a post I wrote two years ago;
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27863443&postcount=13
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by Rimuel
Right now my goal is to condition my pinky to stay close to my ring finger and move independently of it, so that when I play a melody, the pinky finger will be able to fret a note fast enough.

I don't have time to hold you accountable for your sins but I will say this: do not force your fingers to stay close to the fretboard, or indeed anywhere. That's counter-productive; it can all too easily introduce a tonne of tension in to your hand.

What you need to aim for is as much relaxation as you possibly can; the idea is that once you're done using a finger to fret you don't lift it away or anything, you simply stop fretting. If you can manage that you'll find that your fingers stay close to the frets anyway. The problem with that is that it's not something you can just learn and that's it; you have to practice it very carefully and over the course of a long time, years, your playing becomes more like that when you're playing normally.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I sent you a friend request. I'm always looking for other people to add and communicate with on here. But I prefer players more my level because I just feel like its easier to converse. Feel free to message me about anything.
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
Thanks Hydra.

@Zaphod:

Hmmm, thanks for the advice. I won't "force" my fingers, but I'll still correct the placement with as little tension as possible.

@FallenOath:

Thanks for the invite
Last edited by Rimuel at Dec 7, 2013,