Hello everyone,

With Christmas just about to be here, I decided to get a new guitar for Christmas. I'd say my skill level is beginner-intermediate and the current guitar I'm using is a cheap electric guitar which is restricting me on things I'm able to play. My price limit is $250 and I've narrowed down what I want to two guitars.

The ESP EC-50, http://www.guitarcenter.com/ESP-EC-50-Electric-Guitar-516672-i1371273.gc

Or the Epiphone Les Paul 100, http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Les-Paul-100-Electric-Guitar-100112670-i1150096.gc

I have been playing guitar for only about 7 months and don't know too much about guitar manufactures and such. The style of music I play varies on an almost daily basis. One day I may be playing metal stuff and the next day be playing some old rock or blues.

I read the threads about choosing a guitar and followed them through but I can't decide which guitar is better of the two. Therefor, I decided to ask on here what you all think? Which one is better and which one would you choose/recommend?
Last edited by Skat3rat at Dec 6, 2013,
I'm currently using this cheap starter kit; http://www.amazon.com/Electric-Guitar-Package-Includes-Instructional/dp/B000WY3HPO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1386351610&sr=8-2&keywords=sx+guitar Amp and Guitar.

I did forget to mention that if things go through, I'll be joining my friends' band and will be performing on stage within several months. I wouldn't be playing in front of tons of people but probably around 50-100.
You're going to need a different amp, then. A guitar upgrade is a good idea too but you're not going to be able to play a gig with that tiny little amp.
A new amp isn't a worry. My friend(the lead guitarist) will be able to provide me with a good enough amp. I just need a better guitar.
Last edited by Skat3rat at Dec 6, 2013,
I'd go for the EC, I actually prefer my Eclipse to my Les Paul
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
The ESP and the LP you have are in very different price ranges, though. Their quality doesn't translate directly to these entry level models.
50 series LTD's are garbage. Buy something used, for 250 you can actually get something decent.
Quote by Roc8995
The ESP and the LP you have are in very different price ranges, though. Their quality doesn't translate directly to these entry level models.

the 'very' different price of $30 might be the flat basswood body on the ESP

and the arched (maple veneered) mahogany body on the Epi

I was replying to the post above mine. Talking about the rather significant difference between the guitars that RCA1186 has and the ones being discussed, i.e. a Gibson Studio and an EC-1000T vs the LP100 and the EC50.

My point was that those two guitars are so different than the two mentioned in the first post that it didn't mean much to compare them.