The tone I'm looking for is a Parkway Drive/August Burns Red high gain style with the really tight lower end:

Some examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=5Uar1akQEBc&t=568

and this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4rvMrmX0sI&t=141

As the title states, I have a 6505+ 112 Combo and the only pedal I own is a Boss NS-2, I know these bands both use a tubescreamer either Maxon OD808 or Ibanez TS9 other pedals include EQ (Boss Equalizer - GE7) and a Maxon Compressor. I'm leaving out chorus, reverb etc. because I don't think that has anything to do with this...but again I've never tried them out so I don't know.

How do I need to set this up for that kind of tone? - My EQ right now is pretty decent with just the amp and the NS-2 but the low end is still a bit too muddy to sound right on those sort of chuggy rhythms; I watched a video with Adam D showing the difference in tone with the OD808 on and off, and it clears up the tone so much:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=q8lep6_RYuk&t=78

So I'd say the tubescreamer is key, the thing is...I tried out a TS9 for a little bit in a shop, and all I could get it to do in the short time I tested it was muddy it up even worse (through a 6505 head) but I had no idea how to EQ it and limited time to do so... So I'm keen to give it another shot.

Thanks in advance
Well the important thing with the tube screamer is that you set up right. The gain has to be all the way on 0, completely counter-clockwise. Then you set the volume at 10, completely clockwise. Set the tone to taste. Is that what you did?
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
^ After doing that, you should also turn down the gain on your amp, cause tubescreamer will add gain.
Follow the previous advice for the tube screamer.

An EQ pedal is always handy to have around. A good EQ pedal, really lets you fine tune things. If you're pretty satisfied with your tone, but feel its lacking some clarity in your low end, an EQ could likely easily solve this problem.

I recommend the MXR 10-band, but I hear that the boss 7-band is a pretty good pedal as well.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Quote by tas38
Well the important thing with the tube screamer is that you set up right. The gain has to be all the way on 0, completely counter-clockwise. Then you set the volume at 10, completely clockwise. Set the tone to taste. Is that what you did?

+1

Quote by JackovSlayer
^ After doing that, you should also turn down the gain on your amp, cause tubescreamer will add gain.

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
That may be where I was getting a little confused, the TS adds gain even when gain is set to 0?

I think I actually set the gain on the amp way down and tried to 'boost' the gain with the TS9 so what you're saying is even with the gain on the amp turned down the pedal should still be on 0 gain? How does the EQ interact with the amps EQ? - Am I going to need to change them both around or does the pedal EQ just complement the tone already dialed in to the amp?
Turning the gain down on the TS means that the pedal won't produce any distortion. Turning the level up makes the signal reaching your amp is louder. Because the signal is louder more of the sound wave gets clipped. Essentially louder=more distortion. This allows you to turn the gain knob down and get a tighter sound. Part of the added tightness comes from the TS cutting low end. Even using a perfectly transparent boost makes it tighter too. I honestly don't know why though. The gain knob is just a volume pot into the first gain stage. Sorry for not being more clear, someone else will help I'm sure.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
Update: Just got back from trying out an EQ, Compressor and Tubescreamer - The tone is almost exactly what I want it to be for PWD with the EQ and Tubescreamer, bought the EQ, Waiting for them to get the TS9 back in stock so I can try it out before I commit to a purchase (I used one of the lesser known ones; (Red Llama TS - Based on the 808 apparently). Still sounded really good though, It just gets rid of all that low end hum that follows palm mutes so that you can actually hear all the notes clearly without the mess, AND without sacrificing any gain to do so.

Will update again with settings soon, for those in a similar predicament.

Quote by Viscerus
Update: Just got back from trying out an EQ, Compressor and Tubescreamer - The tone is almost exactly what I want it to be for PWD with the EQ and Tubescreamer, bought the EQ, Waiting for them to get the TS9 back in stock so I can try it out before I commit to a purchase (I used one of the lesser known ones; (Red Llama TS - Based on the 808 apparently). Still sounded really good though, It just gets rid of all that low end hum that follows palm mutes so that you can actually hear all the notes clearly without the mess, AND without sacrificing any gain to do so.

Will update again with settings soon, for those in a similar predicament.

You don't necessarily need to get a TS9, you could look at other cheaper alternatives, that people seem pretty impressed by. There's the Bad Monkey, and the Hardwire CM-2 which run for about £50 max. An added bonus using these is that you get a bass pot on it as well.
got a Bad Monkey myself to tighten my 6505+ 112, does the job nicely..now looking to grab myself an EQ.
^+1
I use a Bad Monkey and a GFS Greenie Classic.

The Greenie Classic is great, it has a TS9/TS808 and another slightly modified selection . So 3 TS type pedals in one for $50 new. I'd only buy a Ibanez/Maxon if it was used and for a really good price
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by ambler3
You don't necessarily need to get a TS9, you could look at other cheaper alternatives, that people seem pretty impressed by. There's the Bad Monkey, and the Hardwire CM-2 which run for about £50 max. An added bonus using these is that you get a bass pot on it as well.
got a Bad Monkey myself to tighten my 6505+ 112, does the job nicely..now looking to grab myself an EQ.

That's right.
Quote by ambler3
You don't necessarily need to get a TS9, you could look at other cheaper alternatives, that people seem pretty impressed by. There's the Bad Monkey, and the Hardwire CM-2 which run for about £50 max.

Boss GE-7 is a pretty nice EQ if you want it for something similar to what I do, so +1 for that.

I'm more inclined to get either an OD808 or a TS9 simply because I know these bands use them for the tone I'm trying to get, I figure there's got to be a reason for that.

But like I said, I played through a 'Way Huge Red Llama'
(This one: http://img.audiofanzine.com/image.php?lang=en&identifier=id&size=normal&module=product&product_id=141946)
And it sounded very good with the EQ, so I'm only holding off on that because I want to hear the TS9 for myself, no stores anywhere around me stock the maxon 808's so if I were to order one it would be without hearing it in person.

The OD will be the most expensive pedal I own so just trying to be thorough.

PS: I'm in Australia so the going price for TS9 and 808's is roughly $170-240AUD, the Red Llama was $150AUD I'm not sure how that compares to international prices but the Hardwire CM-2 for example is about $150 new and I've seen a couple for $90 used. I don't really want to go used so the difference between 150 and 180 isn't worth getting an 'inferior' product.

edit: the Digitech Bad Monkey is on Ebay for $59AUD (New ones) So I might also give that a go because while $30 may not be worth the compromise 160 probably is
Last edited by Viscerus at Dec 7, 2013,
i have the 6505+ head and the settings i use whenever playing ABR:

OD channel:

PRE: 4
LOW: 5
MID: 6
HIGH: 5.5
PRE: 5.5
RES: 5

ibanez TS:

drive: 1/3
tone: 1/2
level: 1/2

that works for me :]
Quote by Viscerus
Boss GE-7 is a pretty nice EQ if you want it for something similar to what I do, so +1 for that.

I'm more inclined to get either an OD808 or a TS9 simply because I know these bands use them for the tone I'm trying to get, I figure there's got to be a reason for that.

But like I said, I played through a 'Way Huge Red Llama'
(This one: http://img.audiofanzine.com/image.php?lang=en&identifier=id&size=normal&module=product&product_id=141946)
And it sounded very good with the EQ, so I'm only holding off on that because I want to hear the TS9 for myself, no stores anywhere around me stock the maxon 808's so if I were to order one it would be without hearing it in person.

The OD will be the most expensive pedal I own so just trying to be thorough.

PS: I'm in Australia so the going price for TS9 and 808's is roughly $170-240AUD, the Red Llama was $150AUD I'm not sure how that compares to international prices but the Hardwire CM-2 for example is about $150 new and I've seen a couple for $90 used. I don't really want to go used so the difference between 150 and 180 isn't worth getting an 'inferior' product.

edit: the Digitech Bad Monkey is on Ebay for $59AUD (New ones) So I might also give that a go because while $30 may not be worth the compromise 160 probably is

I think i'm set on finding a Dano Fish & chips EQ. But i'm not too sure about the GE-7, heard it's a little noisy from what some people say.
Quote by Viscerus
That may be where I was getting a little confused, the TS adds gain even when gain is set to 0?

I think I actually set the gain on the amp way down and tried to 'boost' the gain with the TS9 so what you're saying is even with the gain on the amp turned down the pedal should still be on 0 gain? How does the EQ interact with the amps EQ? - Am I going to need to change them both around or does the pedal EQ just complement the tone already dialed in to the amp?

It adds volume boost, which is normally what you want. That drives the first preamp stage in the amp a lot harder, making it distort.

to clarify, when we say to turn the amp gain down, we only mean a little. If you normally run the amp's gain at 5, for example, with the tubescreamer you might want to turn it down to 3 or 4. Not down to 0.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?