I am new to the guitar, been playing a few months, so this may be a dumb question but figured I would ask. My current guitar is a Schector Damien solo elite which has a 42mm nut width. When I got my guitar I specifically went with a guitar with a nut width that was on the higher end because I have large fingers (size 13-14 ring, and my fingers have a .5"-.75" diamter).

Now that I have learned some chords, developed a little more flexibility it has me wondering if I would not be better suited with a slightly smaller width. The reason I say this is because when I am doing a power chord, G or C as an example, I can get in position very easily but I find that my fingers are so round that it is very difficult to keep my pinky from muting the D. I have noticed that with my large fingers I can usually hit the B & G with my ring finger but on occasion I dont get the full note. My thought is that if I had a nut width that was slightly thinner it would be much easier for me to simply use 1 finger for both notes instead of crunching 2 fingers in the same fret. The only problem is that I realize there is a ton of chords, notes, etc that I dont know about yet so I dont know if this would create a bad habit later on that will get in the way of my progression.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Possibly.

I realise this is no help, but it's one of those things that some players like, and some dislike.

I find a narrower nut width is easier to fret two adjacent strings at the same fret with the one finger, yeah. Say a vintage spec fender is probably slightly narrower than 42mm, 41.5 maybe (1 5/8"). Narrower can feel more cramped for lead playing/bends, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?