i have a jcm 800 but its too loud to get it cranked even with my band. would somebody please explain to me how I could use...say...the load function on a thd hotplate to amp slave...

I have an old wem dominator 17w non master volume amp. could I go from jcm 800 to thd on load then into the input of the wem? even though the jcm 800 is 50w and the wem is 17w?

bit confused tbh
I don't know about that working. Have you looked at the Bad Cat Unleashed attenuator? it basically attenuates the signal then reamps it from 1 to 100 watts depending on how loud you want.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
^^ Listen to Rob. You should probably be looking at an attenuator.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
^the THD hotplate is an attenuator

Quote by anderson80
i have a jcm 800 but its too loud to get it cranked even with my band. would somebody please explain to me how I could use...say...the load function on a thd hotplate to amp slave...

I have an old wem dominator 17w non master volume amp. could I go from jcm 800 to thd on load then into the input of the wem? even though the jcm 800 is 50w and the wem is 17w?

bit confused tbh

amp slaving was usually used to actually increase volume. the idea was that older amps would have a special 'slave out' (similar to todays 'line out') that would be run to a dedicated 'slave power amp' that had no real preamp. you could then use both power amps and run more cabinets and be louder.

if you want to 'slave' jcm800 then you would be using both the WEM and the marshall's power amps. it seems you just wanna bypass the jcm800's power section right? so then you'd be just using your hotplate as a load box and it wouldn't be going to a cabinet? that is what i am assuming for this post either way.

you would just simply plug the speaker out of the jcm into the THD hotplate (make sure you are using the correct impedance for the hotplate) and then set the front knob to 'load'. then run a cord from the 'line out' output on the back of the hotplate to the input on the WEM and use the line level knob to control the volume going to the wem. make sure the set the volume low enough so it doesn't distort the preamp of the wem.

ideally you'd use a slave amp with an effects loop, that way you could bypass the preamp altogether by using the amp's FX return.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Dec 6, 2013,
thanks guys. yeah looks like ill do some experimenting. the bad cat looks great on youtube also.