Okay so I'm playing guitar for around 5 years now. I suppose I'm at a decent level but I'm stuck and have no idea how to get better.

I have a general knowledge of theory and have my technique down pretty okay. I can play fingerstyle with no issues and alternate pick, although playing with a pick is always a bit of a hassle. I never dedicated too much time to it.

I know a bunch of scales and stuff but don't know how or where to use them.

Is there any syllabus or something similar I can follow as a guide? I am a self-taught guitarist, so anything will help.

All help is appreciated.
Find your guitar heroes, learn some of there techniques for inspiration then apply that knowledge to get out of your rut. Also if playing with a pick is "a bit of hassle" then get your alternate picking down. After 5 years of playing all I have to say what has taken you so long to pick up the pick! Get at er'
Quote by mielieHobo
Okay so I'm playing guitar for around 5 years now. I suppose I'm at a decent level but I'm stuck and have no idea how to get better.

I have a general knowledge of theory and have my technique down pretty okay. I can play fingerstyle with no issues and alternate pick, although playing with a pick is always a bit of a hassle. I never dedicated too much time to it.

I know a bunch of scales and stuff but don't know how or where to use them.

Is there any syllabus or something similar I can follow as a guide? I am a self-taught guitarist, so anything will help.

All help is appreciated.

There are always ways to get better, you just have to look a bit deeper as you learn more!

You've already done this a bit; you say that playing with a pick is a bit of a hassle, so right there you have found something to work on. Just play very slowly, analyzing as much of what you're doing as you can. Accuracy and being aware of many details are the important things here, so this REALLY needs to be done slowly! You should be able to figure out certain flaws in your picking, and work on fixing them.

As for theory, I would recommend checking out the Musician Talk board on this site. That is the place to ask theory questions here. There is lots you can learn there from just browsing as well.

Hope that helps!
Quote by Jesus
Gaza Strip- home. At least it was before I fucked ereythang up...
PLAY MUSIC.

Listen to your music collection and pick a bunch of songs you want to be able to play, then go learn them.

Write your own material.

Anything, just play music; stop thinking about techniques and what you 'have to do to progress' and start learning how to make the kinds of sounds you like to hear.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I've been having the same problem. Thank you for this thread. It really helped me some.
I am me, in a more literal sense.
Quote by legendaryrock
Find your guitar heroes, learn some of there techniques for inspiration then apply that knowledge to get out of your rut.

I really really really don't recommend doing this, unless your guitar heroes are Guthrie Govan and Paul Gilbert. Alot of great players have flat out awful technique - just because it works for them, doesn't mean it works for you. If you want to learn from other players, learn from the names I mentioned above..

And to be a little more OT:

What do you want to play?
If you can answer that question, go from there..
baab
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
PLAY MUSIC.

Listen to your music collection and pick a bunch of songs you want to be able to play, then go learn them.

Write your own material.

Anything, just play music; stop thinking about techniques and what you 'have to do to progress' and start learning how to make the kinds of sounds you like to hear.

Hands down the best advice.

You picked up guitar to play music, not to practice techniques and exercises. Learn the music that you love and develop from that. You will have much more fun that way and your playing will naturally develop and sound better. A saying i like is "As you practice, you play", if you practice exercises your playing will sound like exercises, if you practice music your playing will sound like music.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
When i feel like i'm in a rut musically i usually play in a genre in which i'm really uncomfortable in, this usually forces me to make progress quickly. For example, if you play a lot of lead guitar, take a break from it and learn a bit of classical or expand your chord knowledge.

One book that always gives me ideas of things to practice is a book called "The Advancing Guitarist" by Mick Goodrick. My old guitar teacher recommended this to me when I was in college and it has been one of the best recommendations that has ever been given to me.