Hey guys..

i bought my first electric guitar last week...
now i need an amp and a processor...

but i dont even have the slightest hint/idea about any of'em...
dont know what kind of amp to buy...what is suitable for what and all..
and have used only one processor..it was the Zoom 505ii..connected it to my 2.1 speakers to listen to the sound...thats it..

so ...please help... what kind of amp or processor should i buy..?
what should i look for when buiyng these...??
You should post some more info in what you like to play, budget, and location. I used to use a digitech rp500 which is pretty decent for the price. It comes with a lot of amp/cabinet models from fender amps all the way to peavey high gain amps. It comes with a boatload of effects like harmonizers, delays, chorus, rotary/vibratos, tremolos. It also includes a wide variety of distortion and overdrive pedals. I actually used the tube screamer od with my real peavey jsx in a pro recording and it sounding pretty balls out. You could swap a used one for around $100 to $150. Here is a cover I did a while back with the digitech rp500 plugged straight into the pc.
http://youtu.be/GlnjEJ_1cbs
Marty Friedman+Jason Becker=Cacophony
Last edited by megaluisdeth at Dec 7, 2013,
what guitar did you get?

what's your budget?

what type(s) of music will you be playing?

you don't necessarily need a separate processor, most modelling amps (which are normally a good idea for a beginner) have some built-in fx already.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by megaluisdeth
You should post some more info in what you like to play, budget, and location. I used to use a digitech rp500 which is pretty decent for the price. It comes with a lot of amp/cabinet models from fender amps all the way to peavey high gain amps. It comes with a boatload of effects like harmonizers, delays, chorus, rotary/vibratos, tremolos. It also includes a wide variety of distortion and overdrive pedals. I actually used the tube screamer od with my real peavey jsx in a pro recording and it sounding pretty balls out. You could swap a used one for around $100 to $150. Here is a cover I did a while back with the digitech rp500 plugged straight into the pc.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GlnjEJ_1cbs&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DGlnjEJ_1cbs

well...the rp500 is waaayyyy beyond my budget...
my budget is max. 5000 INR...and comparing the rupee with dollar rate..it comes around 80$...

like these ones..

Digitech RP-55

Zoom G1XN

zoom 505ii

i know they are the basic and low end models..but still...have no other option..
Last edited by akaikisaki at Dec 7, 2013,
Quote by Dave_Mc
what guitar did you get?

Schecter Omen Ex 6

what's your budget?

80$...
its 5000 indian rupees

what type(s) of music will you be playing?

rock and metal...
nice

what's your budget for the amp? or is that $80/5000 Rupees for both?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

what's your budget for the amp? or is that $80/5000 Rupees for both?

no..not 80$ for both...

its 80$ for the amp
and another 80 for processor...

another noob question...

can i just connect a processor to desktop speakers...and use them for practising??
like 2.1 speakers...5.1 speakers..etc..??

or will they just get short circuited due to overload??
I'm not sure, actually You can often run headphones off a processor, but Also just because it might work doesn't necessarily mean it'd sound any good, either

But with $180 you could likely get an amp which'd have some fx already in it. if you don't need tons of volume and it's just for practising, the vox mini3 and the roland microcube are both pretty nice.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

`But with $180 you could likely get an amp which'd have some fx already in it. if you don't need tons of volume and it's just for practising, the vox mini3 and the roland microcube are both pretty nice.

ohh...thanx...

and could you please tell what should i look for in an amp while buying.....like the technical things...about tubes and solid state (i know nothing abt them)...15w..20w..??? how would you buy an amp...?? what would you consider while buying one..??
Quote by akaikisaki
ohh...thanx...

and could you please tell what should i look for in an amp while buying.....like the technical things...about tubes and solid state (i know nothing abt them)...15w..20w..??? how would you buy an amp...?? what would you consider while buying one..??

Sound quality is always the most important thing.

What will you be using your amp for? Is it just for practicing at home?
^ sound quality, suitability (different amps do different types of tones better), being under budget, reliability, how it sounds at the volume level you normally play at.

for around your budget and assuming it's just for practice (i.e. you don't need too loud volumes), you could do a lot worse than a vox mini3 or roland microcube, as i said above.

I wouldn't worry about tubes yet. the only tube amps available at your price range will be low wattage vintage-voiced amps which won't really work for the rock and metal tones you want.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Try to get a peavey vypyr then. I got me one used 75 watt version for $120 online. It comes also with a bunch of amp models and effects. Try buying used dude, it will get you quality stuff at low prices. I haven't bought new gear in a long time. Just got to be patient and keep a lookout for great used stuff. Get a peavey vypyr 30 watt or 75 watt if you can. The tone is pretty amazing for a modeling amp, wAy better than the line 6 spider series. Here is a video of me playing the 1st solo from Cynic's How Could I? proving how good the harmonizer effect is. I got it for $120 with the Sanpera footswitch included! This amp does metal very well.
http://youtu.be/sP3xLnWseLE
Marty Friedman+Jason Becker=Cacophony
Last edited by megaluisdeth at Dec 7, 2013,
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ sound quality, suitability (different amps do different types of tones better), being under budget, reliability, how it sounds at the volume level you normally play at.

for around your budget and assuming it's just for practice (i.e. you don't need too loud volumes), you could do a lot worse than a vox mini3 or roland microcube, as i said above.

I wouldn't worry about tubes yet. the only tube amps available at your price range will be low wattage vintage-voiced amps which won't really work for the rock and metal tones you want.

okay...thnx...
will look out for those amps...
Quote by akaikisaki
ohh...thanx...

Yeah, spend all the money on a modeling amp. A modeling amp is basically a multi FX pedal built into an amp. They usually have all the same features as multi FX pedals have.

The watts don't matter if you only play at home. The only thing that matters is if you like the sound at the volume you want to play and it has the features you need (enough variety).
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by megaluisdeth
Try to get a peavey vypyr then. I got me one used 75 watt version for $120 online. It comes also with a bunch of amp models and effects. Try buying used dude, it will get you quality stuff at low prices. I haven't bought new gear in a long time. Just got to be patient and keep a lookout for great used stuff. Get a peavey vypyr 30 watt or 75 watt if you can. The tone is pretty amazing for a modeling amp, wAy better than the line 6 spider series. Here is a video of me playing the 1st solo from Cynic's How Could I? proving how good the harmonizer effect is. I got it for $120 with the Sanpera footswitch included! This amp does metal very well.

okay...
i will keep an eye out for the used vypyr series...
are marshall and stranger good too??
Quote by MaggaraMarine
Yeah, spend all the money on a modeling amp. A modeling amp is basically a multi FX pedal built into an amp. They usually have all the same features as multi FX pedals have..

thnx...
is Fender Mustang 20W 1x8 Guitar Combo Amp good??
Quote by akaikisaki
thnx...
is Fender Mustang 20W 1x8 Guitar Combo Amp good??

it has a decent rep, i think, but i haven't tried it.

marshall doesn't do modelling amps and its MG series is a bit crap.

never heard of stranger. that's not normally a good sign. while you often pay more for the biggest names like marshall and there are cheaper, better options available, those cheaper, better options still normally come from well-regarded brands (like peavey, roland etc.). Off-brand knock offs often are very poor.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?