Page 1 of 6
For the majority of human life there has been no electronic music - but in a time when we are becoming increasingly detached from the natural, where you can make music on your phone with no training, where music is global, instantaneous and borderless I ask you:

When will all music be free of live played physical instruments? When will musicians come together to relinquish ourselves of these relics that bind us not only in timbre and pitch but culturally as well? When will humans realize one common goal, as one people, to explore sound as sound?

My brothers, I ask you
Quote by Malchius
Well done Will, looks like a thread to watch.

Thank you comrade
On March 5, 2078 at 4:27pm.
I have it much earlier
I heard that once upon a time, Will liked bands that play actual instruments.

And I honestly really can't trust anyone to lead the electronic revolution that has at one time in their life slept with the enemy.
Quote by whywefight

And I honestly really can't trust anyone to lead the electronic revolution that has at one time in their life slept with the enemy.

SCANDAL!
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by whywefight

As I hope we all do, I learned from my mistakes
Quote by ehbacon
cause you don't sing or play an instrument.

Well that's just lies
Quote by ehbacon
cause you don't sing or play an instrument.

I can do both. I don't employ either technique in the music I make though. Even if I didn't I'd still very much be a musician.
If electronic music producers can create any sound they want, why do they keep making wub-wubs and washing machine noises? Checkmate, atheists.
Because they mash up the rave
Electronic music has been around for decades. It's big, but it's not the biggest and won't be for the simple reason that most people like to see people preforming, like music with lyrics, and are more impressed with instrumentalism and musicality than just compositional technique alone.
Quote by macashmack
Electronic music has been around for decades. It's big, but it's not the biggest and won't be for the simple reason that most people like to see people preforming, like music with lyrics, and are more impressed with instrumentalism and musicality than just compositional technique alone.

DJ's definitely don't play in every club every night. And people definitely don't like seeing DJ's.
what instrument can you play?
I learned to play many
hopefully nevar

dat orchestra

dat live sense of ensemble

dat ass

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
In my experiences using DAWs I found that knowing an instrument and basic theory go a long way.

That's my pointless contribution
Quote by Xiaoxi
hopefully nevar

dat orchestra

dat live sense of ensemble

dat ass

I have to say I do love a good Orchestra live, much more than bands. However, on this whole "ooh people like to see musicians playing" and stuff - it seems to me a needless segregation at a gig. That there are 'these people' and they're the ones making the music and then there's 'these' people that are listening to the music. I'm sure we've all been to gigs where it has seemed that this boundary has been removed and been all the better for it. Electronic performance and DJing in not needing a stage, not requiring any particularly outlandish equipment or any separation from fans removes this segragation. Where the DJ is near enough in the crowd, there is no real 'performer' just someone who's picking the tunes and then enjoying them with you. I personally think that that complete lack of boundaries is more important to people than seeing someone playing a guitar solo

what instruments can you play?
I don't see why it's important
Last edited by willT08 at Dec 7, 2013,
I see computer music merging with orchestra and other stuff and that becoming big because it would sound awesome and shit.
Natural sounds still seem to be a point of interest for a lot of people and I doubt that will end up going away completely.
Well I just mean more that a lot of music sound awesome because there's the human element in it. They're not tied a grid. They don't need to worry about quantizing. I mean yes, you can (and I do) closely recreate that in a DAW. But it doesn't beat the real thang.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I just think playing guitar is the most fun out of all the stuff I've learned how to do, music or not. I do want to incorporate electronic elements into some stuff, but I haven't looked into any products or programs yet

I do love me some electronic music tho. I just wish i could actively remember artist/song names
Quote by macashmack
I see computer music merging with orchestra and other stuff and that becoming big because it would sound awesome and shit.

Lots of film scoring already do that.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by ehbacon
yeah but what instruments do you play?

I'm a musician regardless of whether I play instruments or not