So I've been playing guitar for about 8 years now and I guess I'd consider myself an "advanced" player. I know a decent amount of music theory and I'm pretty technically proficient but I don't really know where to go from here. I've been stuck in a rut with my playing. Just playing the same old songs that I know or I work on things I can't realistically complete and shelf them (i.e The sweeping section of Dream Theater - Constant Motion's solo). So I ask, how do I progress from here? Where should my attention be to get better than I am?
Write. But do it away from the guitar; write things and then figure out how to play them, you write better and have to learn harder stuff in my experience.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Start singing everything that you play, your aural and improvisational skills will skyrocket.

And start learning things written for other instruments on the guitar.

There's more than enough music out there for a lifetime; to deny oneself a bit of musical knowledge because it is not "guitaristic" is almost absurd.
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
Quote by PRSLover17
Where do I write?

Put your guitar down.

Think of some music you would like to hear.

Learn to play that.

Alternatively: if you can play something else, then write on that instrument and transfer it to guitar.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Dec 7, 2013,
stop learning other songs !!! like if you have to force it dont learn it, this is not how you will improve as a musician! sure learning songs has its place but you cant be a guitarist who only cover songs man. learn to improvise using your favorite scale try to come up with a riff or lick using these notes. hope this help rock on !! this is how i keep moving forward
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Write. But do it away from the guitar; write things and then figure out how to play them, you write better and have to learn harder stuff in my experience.

+1

Wouldn't hurt to expand your listening to some new musicians, you could potentially find something that's a little bit more difficult than what you can play now, but you can sit down and write that music right now.

I would use a composition software like Guitar Pro 6 to write with, that way you can have it play it back to you as you write it. Very helpful.