Hey guys,

I purchased a Crate 4X12 cab a few weeks ago and I've been working out the details so I can take advantage of its stereo capabilities. The reason I want to try running just one half of the cab is that I have an Eminence Governor and Swamp Thang on one side and Celestion G12S-50s on the other (it came loaded with those). Up until now, I haven't been able to isolate the sides with the existing wiring -- it just played all 4 speakers now matter where I set it. They are all 16ohm speakers for what it's worth.

Today I followed this Youtube video to try to get it setup for stereo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSLBgk1IVT0

When I got that done (my jackplate looks exactly like the one in the video), I set my cab to 8ohm stereo and my 6505+'s impedence selector to 8ohms, then plugged into the "right" socket on the cab. It played out of the Celestion side only. So then I plugged into the left socket and it was ALL 4 speakers again. I immediately turned off.

So I thought, maybe I'll just swap sides with the wiring and see if I get the side I want. That apparently worked. Now I can hear just the Eminence speakers. The weird thing is I can't just plug into the other jack and hear the opposite side. I didn't play for very long, because I'm paranoid I've done something wrong.

Does this sound okay? I'm assuming it's not okay to hear all 4 speakers unless I change the cab selector to 16ohm mono and also my amp to 16ohm mono? I just don't want to damage anything...

Thanks for any advice. Admittedly, I don't understand impedance and wiring very well.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Last edited by KailM at Dec 7, 2013,
I don't think your wiring is right. In stereo mode you should be able to use each half individually. Plug in to the left side, left speakers work, right side and right speakers work assuming you hooked up the left jack to the left speaker and the right jack to the right speakers.
I haven't watched the video yet either though. I'm not familiar with the Crate cabinet. Does it have a circuit board on the jacks/Ω selector?
Do you have a picture of your wiring?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by Griffin Effects
I don't think your wiring is right. In stereo mode you should be able to use each half individually. Plug in to the left side, left speakers work, right side and right speakers work assuming you hooked up the left jack to the left speaker and the right jack to the right speakers.
I haven't watched the video yet either though. I'm not familiar with the Crate cabinet. Does it have a circuit board on the jacks/Ω selector?

Yes, there is a small circuit board that the wire plug goes into. The wires all go into a plug, which is then plugged into the circuit board. I'll try to get pics tomorrow.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
^^Mine is not like that. On each side, the positive terminal of the top speaker is connected to the negative terminal of the speaker below.

The negative terminals of the top speakers are directed to the plug. The positive terminals of the bottom speakers are also run directly into the plug.

I guess I'm not as concerned that I can hear both sides independently -- I really just wanted to hear the Eminence side by itself so I can decide if I want to match it on the other side.

My biggest concern is that when I'm hearing just those two speakers wired that way (as listed above), that I have the correct settings on my amp and cabinet. Am I correct to say that I've got them wired in series?

Basically, are my 16 ohm speakers showing the amp 8ohms of resistance when run in stereo? Or is the amp seeing 32 ohms?
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Sounds like you are running them in series so that would be 32Ω. If you have a multimeter you can always check the Ω reading at the jack.
Okay. First time poster. Thought this was relevant here-

I have a 200 Watt Valvestate Bi-Chorus Marshall Amp.

It has a Clean Channel, a Distortion Channel, then a Chorus effect that can apply to both.
The distortion works fine but the clean channel out of nowhere is silent (if i turn it up all the way i can hardly hear it, but something is there)
...It has nothing to do with the pedal or bad cable or volume, I have looked at all the simple solutions, trust me.

So, in conclusion:
Clean + No Chorus = No Sound
Clean + Chorus = No Sound
Distortion + No Chorus = Perfectly Normal
Distortion + Chorus = Perfectly Normal

so it isn't a problem with the speakers? I think.
Last edited by Matt_Hughes614 at Dec 8, 2013,
Quote by Matt_Hughes614
Okay. First time poster. Thought this was relevant here-

I have a 200 Watt Valvestate Bi-Chorus Marshall Amp.

It has a Clean Channel, a Distortion Channel, then a Chorus effect that can apply to both.
The distortion works fine but the clean channel out of nowhere is silent (if i turn it up all the way i can hardly hear it, but something is there)
...It has nothing to do with the pedal or bad cable or volume, I have looked at all the simple solutions, trust me.

So, in conclusion:
Clean + No Chorus = No Sound
Clean + Chorus = No Sound
Distortion + No Chorus = Perfectly Normal
Distortion + Chorus = Perfectly Normal

so it isn't a problem with the speakers? I think.

How could it be a problem with the speakers if they work with the Distortion channel? The problem isn't the speakers if they work for one channel and not the other. Most likely there is something wrong with your amp. You should take it to someone who knows what they are doing and have it looked at. It could be just about anything in there that can cause a channel to stop working.