Seems like the perfect amps still debating between the 210 or the 410. Has everything I need, two master volumes for solos, inboard verb lots of tones and gain on tap where I could throw all the dirt pedals away. I was honestly debating between this and a 5153. So what's every bodies consensus? I really would like to hear for people who have owned the amp, not classic marshall fanboys or forum banshees that believe everything they read.

How's the reliability? Do they cut through the mix in a live setting? Record well? Take pedals? Etc etc. mainly gonna use this as my gigging workhorse so all aspects of its live use would be appreciated. Thanks.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100 Silver anniversary edi.
Marshall JCM900 4100
Line 6 flextone 2 head
Marshall 1960b Cabinet
Carvin G412 Cabinet

1976 Gibson Les Paul Goldtop Deluxe
1989 Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender MIJ Strat
Fender MIM Strat
A splawn quickrod is worth the look.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Try one if you can.

IMO the JVM is an ultimate example of a piece of gear looking great on paper. It's feature set to price ratio is phenominal. Really really amazing feature set. BUT... it sounds extremely average. It suffers greatly from "jack of all trades" syndrome. It touches on everything, but can't do anything very well.

The 5150 III sounds pretty great, but is also pretty lacking in features. I think that trade off is something that simply exists until you break $3500+ territory, where you can get something like a Diezel VH4, which actually does what the JVM tries to do at half the cost but can't (because it's half the cost).

Notable mention goes to Mesa Road King II. It has a great feature set too, and sounds phenomenal (though it does take an extremely long time to dial in). The main problem with the RK2 is that it is very sorely missing MIDI.... the Marks are too for that matter. Hopefully Mesa gets on that for Marks and Road Kings. They desperately need it considering the other features they have going on.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
My own personal experience with the 410 JVM was similar to Offworld's: it's versatile, but it doesn't excel at any particular setting. I guess the clean and crunch channels are the best, but I was sorely disappointed by the orange and red settings.

Try to go with a EVH, an old Soldano, or maybe even an Egnater Vengeance. My buddy has the Egnater, and it's one heck of an amp.
I thought about a JVM and Vintage Modern but bought a Randall RM100 instead. It was a good decision.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
The JVM is a mediocre amp, the JVM410JS is a nice amp, but quite expensive.

I second the Splawn suggestion if you want a great Marshallish tone or the JCM2000 DSL50/100

The 5150III is a better sounding amp than the JVM210/410 so that is an easy answer there
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Hmm. Appreciate the comments. I actually thought there'd be a lot more love for the Jvm here. :P well as you can see in my signature I already have a Dsl. I have played all of those amps you guys have suggested except for the quickrod. I actually really like the sound of the Jvm tbh. I guess the feedback I wanted was just more about how they held up live I going back to my Op. Thanks again.
Marshall JCM900 4100
Line 6 flextone 2 head
Marshall 1960b Cabinet
Carvin G412 Cabinet

Fender MIJ Strat
Fender MIM Strat
Quote by Cathbard
I thought about a JVM and Vintage Modern but bought a Randall RM100 instead. It was a good decision.

What modules do you have? Did you happen to do a NAD for the Randall? I'd like to read your take on them.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by Cathbard

Those RMs look f'n awesome. RM50 with an Angel and Voxyface module, I'd be in heaven.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
There are a shit ton of YouTube videos with JVM owners bitching about noise that the repair shops can't fix after multiple visits.

The one I played sounded decent enough, albeit the tone is not for me. I was hoping for a little more, it was missing that extra 10-20%. Maybe with more time to dial in or TS up front it would have put it over the top. It was my friends amp and I only played it for 15 minutes which is not nearly enough time to get near having it dialed in.

If you are going to buy- which sounds like you are since you do like the sound get the 410. Just play it before you pick up so you can make sure it isn't a noisey one.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
The RM series from Randall is awesome for versatility (IIRC there is a rack version with 12 sockets, which is kinda overkill).

I'd suggest the ENGL Retro 50/100. A bit more expensive, but worth it.
.311 cents

I pretty much echo what Robb is saying.

The JVM divides people into Love and Hate groups.

If you played the amp and you like it then everyone else can be damned.

I've played the 210 and 410 heads 5 or 6 times now at loud volumes and I just can't find anything about it that I like. The OD2 channel on Green is kind of nice but for the amount of features and tones this thing is supposed to have it just doesn't do it for me. Conversely, you can walk up to Class 5 or a Peavey Classic 30 and bang out a good tone without even trying.

The amp is super flexible and Midi capable so that's a plus. I'm sure in the UK it is a much better deal. The built in reverb is nice for sure. Nice cleans. Maybe with more time I could come to like it more. Unfortunately, the overdrive tones for me seem contrived and somewhat fake.

If you want more JVM love go to the marshallforums or rig-talk.com

JCM 800? Awesome. You get what you get.
DSL? Awesome. You get what you get.
Plexi? Awesome. You get what you get.
Class 5? Awesome. You get what you get.
JVM? Meh. You gotta work hard to get a tone and then it is not awesome. IMO

In my quest I found the Splawn Quick Rod and the EVH 5150 III to be much better amps. Maybe not quite as flexible but tonally much better. I bought the Quick Rod.
Quote by lucky1978
What modules do you have? Did you happen to do a NAD for the Randall? I'd like to read your take on them.

Atm I just have a Tweed and an SL+. I intend to get this module as soon as I get the money. I'll probably get a Mesa Mark module eventually too.

Here's the NAD.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1621877
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
The JVM was the most dissapointing Marshall amp I've ever played. I honestly had really high hopes for that amp, and I've heard some great clips before, and after, trying one, but I just couldnt dig it. The 5150 III, however, I was super impressed with on first try. Wasn't nearly as wow'd with the 50w head when I tried it, but I'd still probably take it over a JVM. Interestingly enough, lots of guys on the Sneap forum swear by their JVMs, I on the other hand, had a very strong distaste for it when I played though one

I would like to give one another chance, though. The 210 seems to go super cheap used. I've been tempted several times to take the plunge after hearing some clips on the Sneap forum, but I've still yet to get over that first impression.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I've had my JVM 410h since 2008. I love all the tones I can get out of it! It's been gigged well over 200 times and still running like a champ. I haven't even re-tubed it yet. So yeah I may be a bit biased, but go try one out for yourself if you can!
Quote by gurg06
I've had my JVM 410h since 2008. I love all the tones I can get out of it! It's been gigged well over 200 times and still running like a champ. I haven't even re-tubed it yet. So yeah I may be a bit biased, but go try one out for yourself if you can!
Running like a champ? So only 3 tubes work?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
it almost seems like you're looking for approval for you to do what you want and get the amp. You seem to want to do as we say.

You like it is what matters. Not us.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I know a guy with a 401 and he says it's not the greatest for a Marshall but it suits him because his bands play so many styles and it covers it all. "Once all the other instruments fire up, the deficiencies get buried." He seems pretty happy with it. I told him to get a Randall RM100, then he'll have it all.
"Too expensive," he said.

If you are in the US where Randalls sell cheap used that's what I'd recommend. Of course though, then you'll have never ending module GAS. But hey, what's music if not a bottomless pit to throw money into?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
yeah was gonna say the same ^^
Live Rig:
Peavey VK (power amp)
R&R Amps SL/LD (preamp)
EB Volume
Zoom G3
Morpheus Dive bomber
Dunlop 95Q
Guitar-any in my stable
5150 Cab (V30/Sheffield X-pat)
All the focus on this thread is on the 100w heads, I've got a 205H and I absolutely love it; forgive my extreme naivety regarding amps, but a lot of people seem to be having most problems with the high gain channels of the amp; with the 50w head won't the signal break up at a lower volume? Wouldn't you have to really crank the 100w heads to get the signal to break up?
My feeling is that with a proper PA system a 50w half stack is all you'd need for gigging

Again, I apologize for my laughable amp knowledge, and I'll happily be educated
^Not everyone wants lots of power amp saturation, but yes - Not really any instances when I'd prefer a 100w amp to a 50w one.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by gurg06

Whether your biased towards the amps tone is irrelevant because so far your the only person that's given me the answer I'm looking for in a sense. I like the tone of the Jvm that is why I'm considering buying it. I just want to hear from other jvm users about how the amp holds up on stage and cuts through the mix etc.

Most of the responses I'm reading are just people who tried the amp and didn't like it forever reason. While I appreciate the time it took for them to write that bias that's not what I'm looking for. Again thank you kindly dollies.

I won't lie though it's been incredibly hard choosing one thing out of all the options. For me it really is between the jvm 5153 and vengeance. I guess it might come down to impulse but right now it's telling me JVM :P
Marshall JCM900 4100
Line 6 flextone 2 head
Marshall 1960b Cabinet
Carvin G412 Cabinet

Fender MIJ Strat
Fender MIM Strat
Quote by TheCalvinator
Whether your biased towards the amps tone is irrelevant because so far your the only person that's given me the answer I'm looking for in a sense. I like the tone of the Jvm that is why I'm considering buying it. I just want to hear from other jvm users about how the amp holds up on stage and cuts through the mix etc.

Most of the responses I'm reading are just people who tried the amp and didn't like it forever reason. While I appreciate the time it took for them to write that bias that's not what I'm looking for. Again thank you kindly dollies.

I won't lie though it's been incredibly hard choosing one thing out of all the options. For me it really is between the jvm 5153 and vengeance. I guess it might come down to impulse but right now it's telling me JVM :P

So, you're just looking for someone to validate your decision of buying it, then? Your message did ask for a comparison to the EVH, which most people in this thread would probably agree is a better amp, so yes, you asked for opinions.

Anyway, who cares, if you like it - buy it. We can't force you to spend your money in one way or the other and if you don't want to hear opinions against the JVM, then I don't understand the purpose of your thread.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Musician's Friend stupid deal of the day is a JVM410H for $1599, thought I'd let the OP know

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/stupid/
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by Flux'D
Musician's Friend stupid deal of the day is a JVM410H for $1599, thought I'd let the OP know

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/stupid/

~Luke~ already posted it at the top of the page
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by TheCalvinator

You asked our opinion on the JVM, the JVM is not worth the money at all.

You don't like those opinions of ours, so what do you want from us.

The 5150 III is a much better amp than the JVM no matter what you want to here this is the common thought of everyone here.

$2000 for an impulse buy? that is about stupid
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by TheCalvinator
I was honestly debating between this and a 5153. So what's every bodies consensus? I really would like to hear for people who have owned the amp, not classic marshall fanboys or forum banshees that believe everything they read.

5153 is better. That's my consensus.

I am a Marshall fanboy for all intensive purposes. I am not a forum banshee as I've played these amps extensively and have formed my own opinion. I've also played the Vengeance. I really like the cleans and the dirt on that amp but it is a bit dark. If I were to get a JVM it would def be the 205. That said, there is not much difference tonally or headroom wise in a 50 and a 100 watt amp. My amp (Splawn) has a half power switch so I can toggle back and forth. I like 50 watts better because I can't hear the difference and I'd rather save on power tubes.

I don't gig but I'm sure the JVM cuts through the mix fine, takes pedals extremely well and is about average quality wise. There. A Splawn for example will be made better no question with better component to boot. I'm betting the JVM has similar build quality as the 5153 and Vengeance.

There are probably 20 other amps in addition to the ones discussed so far that I personally would rather have. However, it doesn't seem like you are real interested in hearing that so go buy a 410 and rock your socks off.

Most of us here recognize it is a love/hate amp and we stated it as such. Like I said if you want more penis stroking comments about how great the JVM is then go ask about it on www.rig-talk.com or www.marshallforum.com

In summary, I feel like we gave you honest advice. It is your choice on what to do with it.

Cathbard - you mean 410 not 401 right
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Dec 10, 2013,
Quote by MatrixClaw
~Luke~ already posted it at the top of the page
Ah, damn. Beat me to it, he did
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]