So guys, I've been a passive member on these forums for a few days now, and I've noticed that you guys seem to favor a good tube amp over any other major change someone could do to improve their sound.

And I'm here to tell you that is NOT the case! Here is a link to a cover i recorded earlier in the year, and I want you guys to know that I DON'T have a tube amp.

https://soundcloud.com/umar-nasir-4/almost-easy-no-vocals

Any guesses on what amp this is? If I can get a tone like this from solid state, then it proves that good tone comes from knowledgeable eq-ing, knowing your amp well, and most of all, your FINGERS! Cheers!
Last edited by umarnasir335 at Dec 8, 2013,
I see no cover with 'amazing tone'...
Quote by Spaztikko
Imagine the part of the ballsack where occasionally old poo sticks to the pubes and hardens, and you then have to pull out, but as an amp. That's an MG.

Greatest quote of all time?

I think so...
Ola Englund can make a toaster sound good in his recordings. Lets here it live with no tweaks...
That's very true, but we all know Ola is a viking god bestowed upon the human race to melt faces and play metal.

The sound is pretty much the same live, as i used NO ADDITIONAL EQ in my DAW software. All tone is directly from the amp, and the lead tone just has more treble, gain, and a delay pedal borrowed from a friend.
Well, I'm not a fan of your rhythm tone. It sounds kind of boxy to me. I'm not saying it's due to your amp being a solid state amp, I'm just not a fan of the tone.

Also, lots of people here like some solid state amps like Roland JC120. But many solid state amps made today are practice amps - they aren't even meant to be good. Tube amps on the other hand are more high end amps - they are designed for professional musicians because the amp manufactures know that most people want tube amps. If they made solid state amps, no matter how good they sounded like, people just wouldn't buy them because they don't have tubes in them. That's why today we have all these things that have "tube" or "valve" in their name - for example Valvetronix. There's a single 12ax7 tube in the power amp which most likely has no effect to the tone. But people think the amp sounds good because it has a tube in it. Same with all these "tube overdrive/delay/reverb/tremolo" Blackstar pedals. It's just a marketing gimmick. And then there's the Kustom bass amp that has a clearly visible tube - I think it even has a led light to make it "look better". Again - just a marketing gimmick.

But yeah, recorded sound =/= real life sound. You can get good recorded sounds with almost anything because of producing. And even without producing it still sounds different from real life tone (it's also about the "feel" of playing through an amp - different amps feel different). RATM recorded one of their song with a solid state practice amp and it sounded no different to their other recordings which I believe were recorded with JCM800.

And I guess the amp you are using is a Marshall MG, even though IMO it didn't sound like one.

Oh, and I agree with you, TS. I think almost anything can be made sound at least decent if you know how to use your gear.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Dec 8, 2013,
Thanks Maggara, your insight is certainly appreciated.

I guess I'll reveal my rig: Peavey Transtube Supreme 100w head run through a 4x12 Randall Cab

I guess I'll post some clips later of a more live setting to show you guys that the rig sounds pretty much the same live
It's not a bad tone at all, but it felt a bit a bit too rough to me.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
no offense dude but I didn't find the tone to be amazing at all. serviceable metal tone but didn't knock my socks off. a tube amp doesn't automatically give you the tone of the gods as obviously eqing etc comes into play as well. having said that a tube amp more often than not gives you the tools for good tone without having to kill yourself trying. I record with a POD which is digital and much easier but it can't match the tones I get with one of my tube amps exactly either.
The words I think you are looking for are harsh and brittle.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
The sound is not horrible, but it is not great either. Like has been said a recording is one thing but live is a whole different ballgame.
Peavey makes some decent SS amps the XXL is a decent amp and so is the Bandit but the JSX is tube and sounds better than both. Your turn
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Not really I guess it also depends on the tone you are looking for. Amp simulators sounds amazing for example though I don't know if thats fair as they simulate a lot of tube amps. With that said, some solid states sound amazing. I have yet to hear a single tube amp with a better clean channel than the Evans amps. I do web work for evans, but in all honesty and for reals, no tube amp can get such warm yet so transparentclean. A reason why the jazz players love them for example.

So long story short...no you don't need a tube ap. It just happen to be the case that the majority of SS amps are inferior to tube amps, but there are some high end SS amps like the Evans which leave tube amps sounding like toys.
Quote by nyandres
Not really I guess it also depends on the tone you are looking for. Amp simulators sounds amazing for example though I don't know if thats fair as they simulate a lot of tube amps. With that said, some solid states sound amazing. I have yet to hear a single tube amp with a better clean channel than the Evans amps. I do web work for evans, but in all honesty and for reals, no tube amp can get such warm yet so transparentclean. A reason why the jazz players love them for example.

So long story short...no you don't need a tube ap. It just happen to be the case that the majority of SS amps are inferior to tube amps, but there are some high end SS amps like the Evans which leave tube amps sounding like toys.

Or Pritchard amps, some of the best SS amps ever made
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Dec 8, 2013,
Quote by nyandres

I was with you til that last statement. since you already admitted to working for the Evans people that statement carries little weight and sounds more like advertising to me. yes some jazz styles sound best with a pristine SS amp but by the same token that clean won't sound as good for blues. it's also the dirtier tones that more often than not the SS amps come up short on.
not bad playing at all, and i really thought the chugga chugga riffing was better. i personally thought the lead tone in the beginning was very ice picky harsh. are your mids scooped?
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Not to disappoint.

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I see yours Cath and I raise you 1
Attachments:
041.jpg
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
People only dislike solid state because the only solid state amps they heard were cheap practice amps. Same for modeling amps - people say they all sound digital when all they've heard is a Line 6 Spider, but they immediately go into denial when they hear a well-set-up Vetta.

Yes, there are really good solid state amps. There are also really shitty tube amps. But the fact remains that most solid state amps people will come into contact with are practice amps, and most tube amps people will see are professional quality.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
yeah, this is not a mystery to anyone who doesn't make tone judgements strictly off what UG consensus is.

solid state amps can sound great too... though TS's clip wasn't a good example of a good sounding SS amp tone.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
I just listened to it with headphones, TBH the tone sounds lifeless and lacks warmth.

Quote by nyandres

Evans amps leaving tube amps sounding like toys is a bit of an overstatement don't you think?
You're addressing an argument that doesn't exist. Tube amps get suggested often because the majority of great amps out there are tube amps. I don't think I've ever actually seen the argument "you cannot sound good with a SS amp" put forth seriously.

Anyway, we get these threads every once in a while and they've never convinced anyone of anything, because you're using a single weak data point to try to refute an imaginary argument. Just play what you like and enjoy it, don't read so much into what you think people are saying or implying about your gear.