Hi! I have never used an FX Loop and I'm curious of how it works together with a delay pedal.

Normally I'd have the delay pedal at the end of my pedal chain. When I use the hold mode (in order to do both rhythm and lead at the same time) it works great when I have the amp in clean mode. But if I put on the amp's distortion it distorts everything (including the clean guitar that is being looped). Would this not happen if I put the delay pedal in an fx loop? Would I then be able to have both a clean and a distorted sound coming out from the amp or is that impossible?

Thanks!
I usually put my looper in the FX loop for this exact purpose - clean rhythm, distorted lead guitar.
So yes, it is possible.

You may want to set up your distortion channel a little differently to keep it sounding the same, though. If the poweramp section isn't driven the same amount, the sound from the looper may differ from what you recorded.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Last edited by PsiGuy60 at Dec 8, 2013,
Quote by Zerath
Normally I'd have the delay pedal at the end of my pedal chain. When I use the hold mode (in order to do both rhythm and lead at the same time) it works great when I have the amp in clean mode. But if I put on the amp's distortion it distorts everything (including the clean guitar that is being looped).

the delay pedal is repeating everything into a distorted amp, so this is what happens

Quote by Zerath
Would this not happen if I put the delay pedal in an fx loop? Would I then be able to have both a clean and a distorted sound coming out from the amp or is that impossible

you are correct, this would place the delay after the distorted amp so then you could make a clean tone loop and solo over it with a distorted tone without the amp distorting both signals.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Yep.

Your distortion comes either from your pedals or a section of your pre, and the FX loop is placed after both so you should be alright.

If your distortion comes from the power amp instead, there's basically no way of doing this.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
an effects loop is a signal path BETWEEN your preamp and your power amp.

most tonal changes and gain changes (an amps crunch channel) are coming from the preamp. the power amp is mostly there to make that signal louder, and push the sound to the speakers. it is what is delivering 40 watts in a 40 watt amp for example.

so with a lot of time based effects or effects that require to be last in teh chain, it is good to put them in the loop because the loop becomes AFTER everything.

As you stated, you can run a delay in from of the amp, but when you click on the dirty channel of teh amp, then you are DISTORTING your DELAY because the amp comes AFTER.

HOWEVER, with a delay in the loop, the preamp gives the distortion and then goes into the loop, so you are DELAYING the distortion. most people find this the correct way.

this also means that when you put an effect in the loop, 100% of your tone will pass through that effect because preamp>loop>power amp. so, this can have negative consequences if you have really poor quality effects sucking tone.

i have more effects in the loop than not. tremolo, reverb, delay, clean boost are all either time based effects, or the boost i want 100% clean pure volume, so it will not push the preamp into distortion, it will simply add a stronger signal to the lower amp.

i will not buy an amp without an effects loop. probably ever. thats just me.

things to consider in the loop:

- any effect that changes the time of the signal such as a delay, reverb, or tremolo.
- clean boosts
- LOOPERS (because the looper signal needs to be 100% unchanged, clean representation of what you are looping)
- EQ pedals can be used everywhere, but for an overall EQ change, put em in loop
etc.

things NOT in the loop:
generally most overdrives (because you want to push the preamp tubes)
distortions / fuzzes
generally most people run Wahs in front of the amp
tuners (needs the closest signal to the guitar as possible)
compressors (generally close to the guitar in the chain)
a clean boost if you want the boost to push the tubes

most things that impart a crunch or "gain / distortion" to the tone go in front
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Last edited by ikey_ at Dec 8, 2013,