Page 1 of 5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSG6V0DrcuU

I know it's dated last year, and there may have already been a thread on it, but I'm not sure what to think.

I've always been a Sciencey person, and I don't know whether or not to trust this guy.

What's your views, guys??

Secondary question: What do you personally think happens after we die?
Harry Potter is DEAD! Ehhhhh heh heeehhhh!!!
-Voldemort
After you die you go to heaven if you are good and hell if you are bad. Obviously.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
1 hour documentary to demonstrate a "scientific" proof seems quite redundant and amateurish. Also, even assuming that it's true, if you have no conscious memories and you were an entirely different person- why does it even matter?
Quote by angusfan16
I hope i come back as a black man next time

with a bigger schlong
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
This image never gets old:

But reincarnation threads kinda do.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

Quote by ChucklesMginty
So that you know in this life that when you die it's not the end, pretty big deal methinks.

I think that's what he's saying. If you have no memories and an entirely new personality, what real sense is there in saying that you've actually survived at all?

Even if reincarnation were true, given that I have no memory or awareness of any of my past lives, it's besides the point. If my "soul" had come to this body from another in the past it could've been Hitler, it could've been Jesus, it wouldn't make any difference.

Even if we have a soul that passes to another body, if there's no psychological continuity at all then essentially, yeah it is still the end.
Quote by MadClownDisease
I think that's what he's saying. If you have no memories and an entirely new personality, what real sense is there in saying that you've actually survived at all?

Even if reincarnation were true, given that I have no memory or awareness of any of my past lives, it's besides the point. If my "soul" had come to this body from another in the past it could've been Hitler, it could've been Jesus, it wouldn't make any difference.

Even if we have a soul that passes to another body, if there's no psychological continuity at all then essentially, yeah it is still the end.

I think it's just the comfort that we get to come back and have a second chance or what not.
Sail upon the open skies
Quote by angusfan16
I think it's just the comfort that we get to come back and have a second chance or what not.

It's not really a second chance, considering the circumstances in your future lives will be completely different from your own. Imagine playing a video game but instead of restarting the level when you die- you have to leave, someone kicks you off your place and starts playing a different game altogether. There is no true continuity here, I know why the traditional reincarnation might be comforting to some people, but I fail to see how this version of it will comfort anyone but a delusional person.
Quote by EchoStrings
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSG6V0DrcuU

I know it's dated last year, and there may have already been a thread on it, but I'm not sure what to think.

I've always been a Sciencey person, and I don't know whether or not to trust this guy.

What's your views, guys??

Youtube isn't a scholarly source. Tell the fat guy to publish it in a scientific journal or STFU.
tl;dw there's a 10 minute version in the recommendations.

^ people don't like to think of the death as the end. No one wants to end. So some people find comfort in stuff like reincarnation etc. Also, people find it fun to believe.

TS, you say you're a sciencey guy so you're familiar with the scientific method ? For an experiment to be proven, results must be repeatable under the same circumstances.

It does seem weird, but don't any of you guys think it's kind of fishy for a guy to prove "reincarnation" in a country(India) where most people are Hindus who believe in reincarnation.

As far as personal opinion goes, I was born a Catholic and I believe in Heaven.
The burden is always on people to provide proof for their argument, not for others to prove them wrong. You can cast doubt, but that's not an argument. There's a lot of mystery about the universe, about life and death, perception, different states of consciousness, the universe at large, etc. We have a greater understanding of the natural world because of science, while there are things we either can't prove yet or might simply be outside our capability of understanding. That's not an argument for God, or an afterlife, or anything supernatural.

tl;dr out of body experiences, trips back from the brink of death, unconscious memories of a forgotten lifetime, etc are all examples of SOMETHING but they're not arguments in and of themselves. This doesn't prove reincarnation at all.
Quote by Aralingh
It's not really a second chance, considering the circumstances in your future lives will be completely different from your own. Imagine playing a video game but instead of restarting the level when you die- you have to leave, someone kicks you off your place and starts playing a different game altogether. There is no true continuity here, I know why the traditional reincarnation might be comforting to some people, but I fail to see how this version of it will comfort anyone but a delusional person.

Okay a second chance to live then. Or a third, or a fourth, or a fifth, who the hell knows. My point is just that it seems comforting to know that no matter what you did in this life, no matter great or terrible, you get to do it all again after you die. Yeah the person you were dies, but its just knowing that you'll get to come back and live again that makes all the difference.

All that said I still want to come back as a black man
Sail upon the open skies
Quote by angusfan16
Okay a second chance to live then. Or a third, or a fourth, or a fifth, who the hell knows. My point is just that it seems comforting to know that no matter what you did in this life, no matter great or terrible, you get to do it all again after you die. Yeah the person you were dies, but its just knowing that you'll get to come back and live again that makes all the difference.

All that said I still want to come back as a black man

I don't see that difference to be apparent in those who believe it, it's completely meaningless, out of all the false, or rather- asserted with no evidence, beliefs, this one makes the least sense because it's not even remotely comforting.
TS, why you ackin so cray cray?
If you do something right, no one will know you've done anything at all

Proud to be called Best Friends with Pastafarian96
Quote by Aralingh
I don't see that difference to be apparent in those who believe it, it's completely meaningless, out of all the false, or rather- asserted with no evidence, beliefs, this one makes the least sense because it's not even remotely comforting.

Then maybe you should look at life differently.

I'm not saying I believe in reincarnation. I don't have a clue what happens after we die. I do know however that I enjoy living; I enjoy earth and some of the people that inhabit it. There's a lot of things that I love about being alive. If I had a choice at the end of my life to go back or to just die forever, id go back. I'd get to make friends all over again, I'd get to love new people and things all over again, I'd get to experience all sorts of new experiences, be a brand new person. That sounds pretty good to me.
Sail upon the open skies
Quote by angusfan16

I'm not saying I believe in reincarnation. I don't have a clue what happens after we die. I do know however that I enjoy living; I enjoy earth and some of the people that inhabit it. There's a lot of things that I love about being alive. If I had a choice at the end of my life to go back or to just die forever, id go back. I'd get to make friends all over again, I'd get to love new people and things all over again, I'd get to experience all sorts of new experiences, be a brand new person. That sounds pretty good to me.

Assuming you'll be born at the right place and as the right person, otherwise it wouldn't be so "good to you".
Quote by angusfan16

But the point is, unless when you're reborn you have all the memories and personality of your last life, then you're not really getting another chance at all. It might as well just be an entirely different person.
Quote by MadClownDisease
But the point is, unless when you're reborn you have all the memories and personality of your last life, then you're not really getting another chance at all. It might as well just be an entirely different person.

Aye I know. Wording it as a second chance was just a way of phrasing it.
Sail upon the open skies
Last edited by angusfan16 at Dec 8, 2013,
Quote by ChucklesMginty
It's not for then, it's knowledge for now. It will very much change how you live your life knowing that you get chance after chance, whether you want it to or not.

But you won't get chance after chance in any meaningful way. You won't learn from your mistakes, you won't get to try again for the people you care about (or even care about them at all). You're getting another chance pretty much only as much as a stranger living their life is another chance for you. It's not really "for you" in any helpful or reassuring sense at all.
We die and familiar energy dissipates from our body and re-enters the structure of the universe, recycling and re-forming new life.

Whatever memories we hold in our carbon state dies, because the brain dies. We do however hold a keep safe or memento of our past lives.

I also believe reincarnation is not secluded to only our world.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by ChucklesMginty

I'll give you two choices, you can die right now and not exist forever or be transported into another life with no memory of this one, with the gaurantee you'll always exist in some form. Nearly everyone would go for option 2, the thought of not existing is too hard to comprehend.

The criticism of this view is that they're more or less identical, at least functionally.

You say "you can die right now". What do you mean by "you" in such a context? The "me" that has accrued my life experiences? The me that has a unique brain structure specific to me? The me that has certain genes and gene expressions that lend me my characteristics?

Everything that makes "me" me and you "you" is bound in the physical world. Once our bodies decay, that information is lost. So what is there left to transition between lives once we remove both genetics and environment from our identities? Nothing.
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Ah forget it, you're not gonna be able to get the point of this.

I'll give you two choices, you can die right now and not exist forever or be transported into another life with no memory of this one, with the gaurantee you'll always exist in some form. Nearly everyone would go for option 2, the thought of not existing is too hard to comprehend.

But "you" will only exist forever in the most meaningless sense. The point is that you're not really continuing to exist at all.
People want it as they think in some way that they'll continue, but they won't. Let's imagine that the soul inside me is reincarnated and was previously a Russian butcher from the 1920s. In what sense at all has he continued to exist? In what sense has he had another chance at anything?
It's as meaningless and uncomforting as saying someone else could wear your hat after you've died. Unless your mind continues, nothing of any significance of you has survived.
I think the most defensible notion of reincarnation is as Nelshizzle stated. It is a poetic rendering of the law of energy conservation- we are ephemeral and fragile concerts of energy and matter, forming and dissipating, being constantly transformed from one state to another.

This is hardly controversial and something a pantheist or a panentheist would say.

However, if we start introducing vitalist notions of souls, we posit a dualism between our physical selves and our mental selves.
I used to be a "space trucker" in a past life. It actually more complicated than that, but that's the most analogous thing we have now on Earth.

Seriously, why is reincarnation always from past to present to future?
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
When we die, the energy that was being used to sustain us gets recycled into different things. It is physically possible to be reincarnated into other things, but you probably wouldn't be aware of it happening.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Would all of you guys srsly want to exist as you do forever? Like, without ever ending? That sounds hellish. I mean I just hope to have a relatively fulfilling, ethical and enjoyable life and then I hope I die and never come back. I would prefer a sense of completion to perpetual existence.

Not that what we wish was the case is at all relevant to what actually happens.
Quote by modus operandi
Would all of you guys srsly want to exist as you do forever? Like, without ever ending?

No. Eventually I would be maddened by my own humanity. I think it would be cool to be reincarnated into something that is in no way like a human though.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Dec 8, 2013,
Quote by EchoStrings
Secondary question: What do you personally think happens after we die?

Your family fights over your stuff.
*reported*

...to Jesus. Have fun in hell, the lot of you.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
But...if we become something completely different, with a different body and a different mind...how's that reincarnation?

How's that ANYTHING? And no i didn't watch the damn thing
Page 1 of 5