Quote by Kick2theOvaries
What are AU?

Australian currency.
i have 2 maple backed guitars. they are exceedingly bright guitars unless you get one with a larger body... keeping in mind that both of mine have sitka sruce tops, not maple tops. i can't imagine that a lower end guitar with maple back, sides AND top is going to sound very good at all.
i would think that you'd be better off with something else...like a Yamaha fxg730 or 720.
or something similar.
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
Quote by stepchildusmc
Australian currency.
i have 2 maple backed guitars. they are exceedingly bright guitars unless you get one with a larger body... keeping in mind that both of mine have sitka sruce tops, not maple tops. i can't imagine that a lower end guitar with maple back, sides AND top is going to sound very good at all.
i would think that you'd be better off with something else...like a Yamaha fxg730 or 720.
or something similar.
I'm curious as to what they're calling "solid maple". It makes me wonder if they mean the under laminations are maple as well as the veneer.

In actuality, even a Gibson ES-335 isn't, "solid maple". They're plywood, because players found out the solid back and top models suffered from too much feedback...

But, maple isn't really known as a good top wood anyway! A few different types of spruce, redwood, & cedar, (all "softwoods") are used, plus mahogany, and for the well to do player, solid koa, but maple for tops, can't say I've heard that done on a steel string flat top. Carvin does offer walnut, ash, and maple in a couple of thin body A/E (piezo equipped) guitars.

If TS wants to wade through this short article: http://www.pantheonguitars.com/tonewoods.htm He'll probably come to the same conclusion that you have.

Although I'd say, "God bless anybody that can still find a maple tree big enough around to quarter saw top blanks from".
Last edited by Captaincranky at Dec 8, 2013,
Quote by Kick2theOvaries
What are AU?
That should have read," AUD", (Australian Dollars).
Well Step, that there sure is one beautiful guitar. I'm picturing about a 1:10 ratio of price of TS' prospective purchase, against the price of the Taylor.

However, I'm truly fed up with the sound engineering work on these YouTube promo videos.

In this case the mic appears to be a cardiod pickup pattern, and all of the bass in the video is flabby and way out of proportion to what should actually be coming out of the guitar.

As predicted though, that bad girl does have a certain Nashville "twang" to it.

I had an all maple Guild jumbo 12 string. But yes, the sound board was spruce. The sound was beautiful, as the body was large enough to yield a good, tight, bass to support the top end brightness. (Maple + 12 strings = muy brillo). Guild shipped it with a "medium" 12 string set, (.053 E-6). Time to do wrist curls to be able to play the guitar.
yeah.. i think those2 maple taylors went for around 7K US each if i remember correctly...
only a coupla dollars over the TS' budget give or take a dime or 2.
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
Carvin offers these, (and 6 string versions), with several different hardwood tops :

They're showing 2 maple tops on these two. Stock is Engleman spruce, and the maple tops are free! One small detail, the paint job for the maple top is $300.00..

These are obviously U gotta plug-me-ins, so I don't know if the top material would have as much impact as it would on a pure acoustic.

There's a signature model with maple, and I think it actually save you a few bucks over the top as an option. The plain Jane is about $970.00, no case, no tax, no free shipping.