http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=qlgU9HmMtwg&t=127

I found this little riff in the above video and am finding it harder to play than I figured it'd be.

He appears to be tuned down a half step, but in standard tuning I believe the basic chord progression is D#m, A#m, G, A#m

It's also important that he's strumming fairly consistently through the whole riff. I assume he "aims" his strumming to emphasize the strings with the hammer-ons and pull-offs, but he never appears to pluck them individually.

So far so good. The problem is, even though I've been playing barre chords for years, I guess I've never played them quite like this because I'm finding them extremely awkward, and even when I seem to do it right the effect is very weak sounding.

In the Am-shape barre chords I find it hard enough to get those single finger hammer-ons to sound as strong and overt as he does. I plan to keep working on my technique, but even when I isolate the string and play it by itself, the effect doesn't seem as strong.

In the Em and E-shape barre chords, it's a lot harder. He appears to be hammering-on the entire chord after barring with his index finger, which is INCREDIBLY hard for me to do. Again, I know I need to practice, but this is pretty humbling for someone who hasn't been in "beginner barre chord mode" for years.

Does anyone else find this challenging, and if you've played similar riffs in the past, do you have any particular tips for making this sound cleaner? I think I have the idea down, but my fingers are just not delivering the results I'd like. Thanks!
Last edited by adrienfr at Dec 8, 2013,
Quote by adrienfr
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=qlgU9HmMtwg&t=127

I found this little riff in the above video and am finding it harder to play than I figured it'd be.

He appears to be tuned down a half step, but in standard tuning I believe the basic chord progression is D#m, A#m, G, A#m

It's also important that he's strumming fairly consistently through the whole riff. I assume he "aims" his strumming to emphasize the strings with the hammer-ons and pull-offs, but he never appears to pluck them individually.

So far so good. The problem is, even though I've been playing barre chords for years, I guess I've never played them quite like this because I'm finding them extremely awkward, and even when I seem to do it right the effect is very weak sounding.

In the Am-shape barre chords I find it hard enough to get those single finger hammer-ons to sound as strong and overt as he does. I plan to keep working on my technique, but even when I isolate the string and play it by itself, the effect doesn't seem as strong.

In the Em and E-shape barre chords, it's a lot harder. He appears to be hammering-on the entire chord after barring with his index finger, which is INCREDIBLY hard for me to do. Again, I know I need to practice, but this is pretty humbling for someone who hasn't been in "beginner barre chord mode" for years.

Does anyone else find this challenging, and if you've played similar riffs in the past, do you have any particular tips for making this sound cleaner? I think I have the idea down, but my fingers are just not delivering the results I'd like. Thanks!

practice it til you get bored, stop and do it again. I realise your frustration but it seems you know you're weak at bar chords so just practice them.