I'm not sure where I found this exactly, but I think I got this information from a AskHow page.

1) Strengthening your diaphragm sounds difficult, but it's quite simple.
A good exercise is to breathe in as deeply as you can
and push your stomach out as far as possible while doing so.
You are breathing from your diaphragm!
Now exhale, and pull your stomach back in.
Make sure your shoulders don't move!

2) Once you've learned to breathe correctly,
you need to get as much power into your diaphragm as possible.
Take a deep breath from your diaphragm, and while exhaling,
count as high as possible.
Count slowly and evenly, then record how much you've improved every day.

3) You've mastered the first step of singing from your diaphragm!
Now, you need to learn how to open up your throat.
Look in a mirror and yawn.
That's how open your throat should be while singing.

4) Pretend you've got a ball in your throat that's keeping it forced open.
Sing several notes while your throat is open.
At first, it won't sound very pretty, but that's ok.
Be sure you're breathing from your diaphragm!

5) Practice, practice, practice!
Try to widen your range of notes that you can sing,
and practice all your exercises at least every other day.

I've had it saved in a notepad file for years, but haven't really tried to do the first step. Would it help in learning how to sing, or get me in the right direction?
Hmm. These actually seem like reasonable exercises for the diaphragm.
Instead of counting you could also just hold any given note in your comfortable register.
And "push your stomach as far as possible" is an exaggeration, don't push/force more air than you will be able to control. If you take in too much air, the second you open your mouth you release a lot of air, which is not necessary.
Singing is really about controlling the airflow with your diaphragm, very simply put. Think of the air as a thin steady line, there should be no bursts.
Quote by KrisHQ
Hmm. These actually seem like reasonable exercises for the diaphragm.
Instead of counting you could also just hold any given note in your comfortable register.
And "push your stomach as far as possible" is an exaggeration, don't push/force more air than you will be able to control. If you take in too much air, the second you open your mouth you release a lot of air, which is not necessary.
Singing is really about controlling the airflow with your diaphragm, very simply put. Think of the air as a thin steady line, there should be no bursts.

Makes sense.

The "opening your throat" sounds a bit weird, though. But I'm still keen on wanting to learn how to sing like I was years ago, so I'll give these tips a go and start practicing.
Quote by Lifesign
Makes sense.

The "opening your throat" sounds a bit weird, though. But I'm still keen on wanting to learn how to sing like I was years ago, so I'll give these tips a go and start practicing.

Yeah. Open throat might seem weird and as you probably have already noticed, singers do not always look like they are yawning.
Having an open-throat is basically just saying: Loosen up your neck/face (also sometimes referred to as the mask) and sing without any stress in your throat.
The air should not be restricted by your throat hence why it has to be open, the air should be able to pass your vocal cords. The air-restriction should be controlled by your diaphragm (stomach)