Can one get good distortion without the use of a distortion pedal(with amp)? I am a strict beginner and I have a Jay Turser PGA-10T amp with a Jay Turser electric guitar(stock pickups but will consider Seymour Duncan blackouts). I know the amp is cheap but for what it's worth it's all I got for now and I would love that distortion sound.....
Get a decent amp before the pickups. Peavey Vypyr 30 is a nice cheap amp for distortion sounds. There is no way around this
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
It's a bad idea to spend the kind of dosh you need to spend on pickups with that amp. Amp should be your first priority. However a cheap distortion pedal wouldn't really set you back too much. Joyo makes some good ones, The Joyo California, extreme metal, pocket metal, or US Dream might keep you happy until you can get a better amp, and they're only ~$30.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
Quote by MetalMan2014
Can one get good distortion without the use of a distortion pedal(with amp)?

with the right amp you can get great distortion tones without the use of a pedal

Quote by MetalMan2014
I am a strict beginner and I have a Jay Turser PGA-10T amp with a Jay Turser electric guitar(stock pickups but will consider Seymour Duncan blackouts).

it is hard to find info or clips of that amp. the amp is made by a music supply company that rebranded the PGA-10T under different badges.

the pics i have found seem to show a 'gain' knob on the amp. you will need to raise the gain knob to get more distortion.

usually distortion on these types of amps is not very good. they will usually sound buzzy and ill defined. this is due to the circuit, cheap components, and suboptimal speaker.

Quote by MetalMan2014
I know the amp is cheap but for what it's worth it's all I got for now and I would love that distortion sound.....

well, you will be fighting a bit of an uphill battle. if you want distortion then maybe you should look into something like a ratt proco pedal (you can find one used).

it seems pretty obvious you may have a computer, so you can also look into some free software (like the amplitube demo) and use a cable to patch into the mic-in on your computer (i use an ipod TRS cable and a 1/4" TS to 1/8" TRS adapter). i do that on the road, and while some people claim there is no way to get any kinda good tone that way the results suit me just fine.

this is a clip i made in garageband, it has some amplitube models in there as well as stock garageband models:

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/gumbilicious/music/play733334
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by tas38
It's a bad idea to spend the kind of dosh you need to spend on pickups with that amp. Amp should be your first priority. However a cheap distortion pedal wouldn't really set you back too much. Joyo makes some good ones, The Joyo California, extreme metal, pocket metal, or US Dream might keep you happy until you can get a better amp, and they're only ~$30.

+1

the us dream sounds pretty good (haven't tried it, i mena from clips). it's more or less a suhr riot clone, i think.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by MetalMan2014
Can one get good distortion without the use of a distortion pedal(with amp)? I am a strict beginner and I have a Jay Turser PGA-10T amp with a Jay Turser electric guitar(stock pickups but will consider Seymour Duncan blackouts). I know the amp is cheap but for what it's worth it's all I got for now and I would love that distortion sound.....

keep in mind that no matter what you do your amp has limitations soundwise so even with a distortion pedal you most likely will be somewhat disappointed. having said that getting a distortion pedal makes way more sense than new pickups.
Quote by monwobobbo
having said that getting a distortion pedal makes way more sense than new pickups.

agreed. if you can get a new amp, do that. if you can't, a (cheap but good-sounding) distortion pedal might tide you over until you can, without putting too much of a dent in your amp fund. Pickups are normally a bad idea until you have a good amp, unless your stock pickups are utterly terrible or broken or something like that (which is fairly unlikely).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Your question is typically the other way around. Good distortion comes from good amps, pedals are usually stopgaps to keep people from having to utilize multi-amp setups to get all of the tones they want.

But I understand how it seems the other way around, from your point of view as a beginner. We've all been there.

You have a lot of choices available now. I would absolutely recommend a Joyo to mess around with and learn about your gear. It will sound much much better than what we had available at the same price, even in the very near past.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I would have killed for a L6 spider in the early 90's that would have been the shit then. I remember the beginner gear being pretty crap when I started
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
I would have killed for a L6 spider in the early 90's that would have been the shit then. I remember the beginner gear being pretty crap when I started

LOL try having started in the late 70s
Quote by Robbgnarly

i started in the early 00s and didn't have the wit to realise that modelling gear was available
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?