So, I've been thinking about buying a new guitar for a while, but I can't decide on what I want or what would be the best fit for me. I play mostly '80s hard rock/metal(Van Halen, Def Leppard, Scorpions, etc) and newer music, such as Foo Fighters and Shinedown. I have a Squire Affinity Telecaster now, but it has the quality of a log. The amp I use is a Peavey Ultra 112. I don't have any effects or whatnot yet, but I plan on getting some in the near future. My budget is anything up to about $350. I would prefer a good trem system, but it's far from essential. I would prefer a super-strat, not some strange star-shape. At least 22 frets would be necessary, if not more. I'm used to a Tele, so I don't really want a big, thick neck or the opposite extreme. On the subject of the neck, I'd prefer a bolt-on if at all possible. At least two pickups would be nice, at least one of which should be a humbucker(preferably not an EMG), preferably coil-tapped. As for controls, one volume, one tone, and one selector switch will do. If it comes with more, good for it. I don't have any preferences for body, neck, or fretboard woods. Anything with a Tele-style bridge is out. Good, precision tuners are high on my list, preferably Grovers in a straight-six configuration. Strap locks would also be very much appreciated. I'd like the carved-out section in the back(not sure what it's technically called) that makes playing while standing up more comfortable. I also live within reasonable distance of a Guitar Center, if that has any bearing on your suggestions.
Last edited by maddog61 at Dec 8, 2013,
i find it hard in that price range. my honest rec would be to save more money and get a decent guitar. i find the pick ups in that range are usually not very good.

maybe a used epiphone or jackson would be perfect for you. if you decide to go forward with this budget I'd advise looking used as instruments don't really hold a crap ton of value and can be found cheaper than retail all the time.
song stuck in my head today

Ditto on saving more & going for a used axe.

If you can't expand your budget, are a look at this:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Search/Default.aspx?internal=1&browser=&fsrc=Godin+redline+HB&src=Godin+redline+HB

The Redline HB is a well made guitar designed with hard rock in mind.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I was going to recommend one of the entry-level Fernandes guitars, and stumbled on THIS:

http://www.fernandesguitarshop.com/standard/76-dragonfly-standard.html
http://www.fernandesguitars.com/dragonfly/dragonfly-standard.html

Ignore the Fernandes store $1399 MSRP, that guitar usually sells for between $650-750 new. That is still essentially half price!

And Fernandes makes guitars with an eye towards the hard rock/metal musician. This is a good deal.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Dec 8, 2013,
used is a good bet and for that money you can find plenty of decent guitars. as far as new you might want to look at Sterling (Music Man import line) they have a version of their EVH guitar that plays great and would be perfect for what you mentioned.
Used PRS SE Custom 24 with a trem. they run $300+ used
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Alright, let's say I save for a while. What do I get when I reach that point?
Depends on how much you save up, depends on what your personal preferences are.

The only preference you've listed is that you want a vibrato system. There are literally thousands of guitars that fulfill that requirement. You need to narrow your preferences down.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by maddog61
Does that narrow it down a bit?

only to about 1/2 of the guitars made in the last 50 years
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
An Epiphone ES-335 works great for Foo Fighters.

If you are gonna save up money, I would either buy a Gibson ES-335, A PRS or a Les Paul.

Im a bit biased towards the Gibson ES-335 as I have one myself (with Coil-split).
Quote by Zerath
An Epiphone ES-335 works great for Foo Fighters.

If you are gonna save up money, I would either buy a Gibson ES-335, A PRS or a Les Paul.

Im a bit biased towards the Gibson ES-335 as I have one myself (with Coil-split).

The ES335 isn't going to suit Van Halen et al as much.

I'd go with a Les Paul of some kind if I was you but I'm biased as hell being a Les Paul owner
'And after a while, you can work on points for style.
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake,
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile.'

'You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in.'
Wouldn't it just be better if you actually knew what you wanted in a guitar before actually investing in one?
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Get a used Ibanez RG 3EXFM1, usually around $200 right now. Later you can upgrade the pickups/tuners and it will still be a great guitar.
LTD EC-1000 VB
Ibanez RG3EXFM1 (Dimarzio Mo' Joe in bridge, PAF Joe in neck, and Sperzels)
KFG Custom
Ibanez RG2550Z Galaxy White
Epiphone Thunderhorse Explorer

Marshall AVT 275
Quote by maddog61
Would the Sterling SUB AX3 be a good fit?

They are decent starter guitars. It does have a cheaper tremelo which I typically say to stay away from as a starter, but it is a flush mounted not a floating trem so I think you would be fine
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
They are decent starter guitars. It does have a cheaper tremelo which I typically say to stay away from as a starter, but it is a flush mounted not a floating trem so I think you would be fine

if you go with the budget you posted you should be able to afford one of the better models they offer. I've played the version with a Floyd and it was a great guitar and a real steal for the money. the SUB series is well reviewed but I think you'll regret cheaping out if you get one.
Quote by monwobobbo
if you go with the budget you posted you should be able to afford one of the better models they offer. I've played the version with a Floyd and it was a great guitar and a real steal for the money. the SUB series is well reviewed but I think you'll regret cheaping out if you get one.

Is the model you're talking about the AX40?
Quote by maddog61
Is the model you're talking about the AX40?

yes or even the AX 20 which has a non locking trem
Unless you get a guitar with a real Floyd Rose (not licensed), I would stay away from trems. They are fun for a little bit but how much do you REALLY play with a trem? Anyway, a good trem is around $300 alone, never mind the guitar. I would go with the PRS suggestion.
Quote by !..!_Rock_!..!
Unless you get a guitar with a real Floyd Rose (not licensed), I would stay away from trems. They are fun for a little bit but how much do you REALLY play with a trem? Anyway, a good trem is around $300 alone, never mind the guitar. I would go with the PRS suggestion.

the floyds on the Sterlings aren't bad at all. I use my trem (fender) all the time and so do many others. a good setup and a little time in to learn the ins and outs of a Floyd and most players will be fine.
So it doesn't matter what trem system it is as much as whether or not you have it set up correctly?
Last edited by maddog61 at Dec 10, 2013,
It DOES matter, but a good setup can cure a boatload of ills.

Quote by maddog61
So it doesn't matter what trem system it is as much as whether or not you have it set up correctly?

depends on what you want to do with the trem. locking ones are better for extreme trem use. fender style non lockings work better than most players give them credit for but a good setup is critical to their working properly. they aren't great for the wild dive bombs either. EVH used a 6 point fender trem for the 1st album so they can work but a Floyd is better
Quote by !..!_Rock_!..!

PRS and EBMM make excellent trems. I have never had a problem with my PRS they make one of the best trems in the business (EBMM too)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I agree with most of the comments above. Either do some extra work or earn some more money to buy a better guitar (if you are a serious player or player-to-be) or find a used good one at a lesser price, which is unlikely. First of all, go out and try out as many better guitars as you can to see which fits your style and feeling. I have a good colletion of guitars but would recommend in order of priority (and vibrato not withstanding): 1. A Les Paul Standard or the less expensive and less flashy but great Les Paul Studio, 2. a Gibson SG Standard, 3. a Fender Merican made Strat, and 4. a PRS. You can't go wrong with any of these guitars. You get what you pay for and you will play better with a better guitar. Suggestion: Gibson makes retailers push out their Gibson inventory at the end of every year to make room for next year's guitars and you can find great deals in December (NOW) if you look hard, order fast, and know what you want. I purchased a new 2013 Gibson SG Standard (MSRP: about $2,200) for $899 from a high quality online company a few weeks ago. Great buy and I love the guitar and it is a rocker. Get the guitar first, the perhaps look for another amp and then something like a Line 6 HD500 for more sounds when you are ready fro it and have the money. Good luck.
My fave axe (my transparent bloody-red 2011 BC Rich Mockingbird ST) is going for $399 new (sale price, they usually sell for $699) at my local GC...if it's not available for the sale price near you, I'd advise saving up for this gem! It's a killer playing axe with five piece body (mahogany/ebony stringer/maple/ebony stringer/mahogany) and neck through construction (which means sustain for *days*), ebony fretboard, Duncan designed pickups (about the only thing I'm thinking about changing on this axe...they sound fine for anything I use it for and are quite capable for most styles, but I want something *juuuuust* a bit meatier), Grover tuners, and has a real honest to God Floyd Rose locking setup.

All in all, with the 5 way Varitone switch and the three mini toggles (for coil tap on each pickup and a phase reverse for both) it can assume about 60 different tonal variations, reaching from Tele spank to Strat scream to Les Paul thick and sexy. If you grab one while the prices are low, it's an absolute steal...if you wait, you can always get one used, which they usually run in the $300-ish range. The build quality is very good, the finish is drop dead sexy, and the components are all fairly top knotch, making it a great deal even if you pay full price!

Like I said, it's my favorite guitar (it replaced my 1979 Epiphone Genesis Standard as my Number One), and I use if for *everything* from modern country/chicken pickin' to classic hard rock grooves to full bore metal mayhem, and it dominates with anything I play on it!

If you absolutely have to have a decent hard rock guitar for $300, you might want to go to rondomusic.com. They sell the "infamous" SX brand guitars and basses (their Strat copies are pretty damned OK for the cash spent, as are their P and J basses), as well as a few other house brand guitars (their Agile LP copies are pretty good too, depending on which level you buy...the more you spend, the better the axe). For your stated budget you'll most likely be able to find something that'll do the job in a capable manner until you can afford something "real"!

Given that choice, I'd save and buy the better guitar to start with...it'll serve you better for the years to come. Having a good quality guitar that not only plays and sounds great, but is built with long term hassle free ownership in mind will help you grow as a musician and will (over time) become a trusted musical ally, friend and maybe even your creative muse!
Last edited by aging_metal_god at Dec 11, 2013,
Has anyone ever had any experience with "The Top Guitars Company?" I recently found them online, and the guitars look great, and the general consensus, I've found, is that people like it. But to me, it just seems a bit sketchy, if you know what I mean. Do they really do as good a job as everyone is saying?
Made in China? Mmmmmmm...sounds a bit risky.

Get a used Charvel. Problem solved.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate