Hey,

Today I sold my Orange Rocker 30 for cash + 8 ohm version of the THD Hot Plate (the purple one).

Now, I've never used an attenuator before. I've always wanted to try but never felt like blowing the cash on it. I'm expecting my brand new Jet City 22H with a v30 cab in 2 days and it should work with it (the cab is 1x12 8 ohms).

What are your thoughts on attenuators in general and specifically the THD Hot Plates? I'm wondering if I should keep it or sell it. These always seem to sell locally so it shouldn't be a problem.
Quote by jonthorsigmunds
Hey,

Today I sold my Orange Rocker 30 for cash + 8 ohm version of the THD Hot Plate (the purple one).

Now, I've never used an attenuator before. I've always wanted to try but never felt like blowing the cash on it. I'm expecting my brand new Jet City 22H with a v30 cab in 2 days and it should work with it (the cab is 1x12 8 ohms).

What are your thoughts on attenuators in general and specifically the THD Hot Plates? I'm wondering if I should keep it or sell it. These always seem to sell locally so it shouldn't be a problem.

i have a THD bivalve with the attenuator built in. i am not overly impressed with it, anything more than the subtlest of use seems to rob quite a bit of the rich harmonic content and high end and makes it sound a bit dead.

i would say you should try it out before selling it. it may be useful to ya, but don't get your hopes up. for the most part i'd rather just have an amp with a master volume.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
i have a THD bivalve with the attenuator built in. i am not overly impressed with it, anything more than the subtlest of use seems to rob quite a bit of the rich harmonic content and high end and makes it sound a bit dead.

i would say you should try it out before selling it. it may be useful to ya, but don't get your hopes up. for the most part i'd rather just have an amp with a master volume.

The JC has a master volume so that's not really a problem. I will certainly try it with the Jet City when it arrives.
I've also heart mixed things about whether or not it's good for your amp to run it into an attenuator before the cab. Does it do any damage to the amp or is it just affecting tube life?

My go-to amp guru told me it's fine for the most part but kills tubes much faster and can shorten lifetime of the transformer. He hates attenuators haha.
It can affect tube life if you're really cranking it. Won't do much to your OT unless you're using it wrong. The THD isn't particularly great though. Like Gumbi said, it's only really good for knocking a few dB off the top. Taking it from obnoxiously loud to loud in other words. Anything more than that and your high end disappears.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Attenuators are good for taking the edge off a loud amp, not for making a loud amp quiet.

As Gumbi said, subtle effect.

You didnt really say what purpose you'd be using it for, but honestly for a <50 or even 100w head I dont think they are really necessary.
As I stated above I'd use it with a Jet City JCA22H 20w head. I'm just thinking for home levels, if it will give me anything more from the amp. If not I'll sell it for sure.
Hot Plates are mostly just a bank of very large resistors that dissipate amp energy as heat (thus the "Hot Plate" appellation).

Two things are going to impact your listening: the Fletcher-Munson curve (they have a different name for them these days) and some impact from the THD on the treble side of things. Your EQ will be different as you get lower in volume either way. But you should be able to delve into power tube distortion with your Jet City (at the cost of some tube life) and see if you like it or not. If the answer is "not" then sell the Hot Plate and just use the MV on the amp moving forward.
Quote by dspellman
Hot Plates are mostly just a bank of very large resistors that dissipate amp energy as heat (thus the "Hot Plate" appellation).

Two things are going to impact your listening: the Fletcher-Munson curve (they have a different name for them these days) and some impact from the THD on the treble side of things. Your EQ will be different as you get lower in volume either way. But you should be able to delve into power tube distortion with your Jet City (at the cost of some tube life) and see if you like it or not. If the answer is "not" then sell the Hot Plate and just use the MV on the amp moving forward.

Seems like a good answer haha, thanks.
I guess I'll just have to see if I like it. But good to know it's not doing any harm except shortening tube life which isn't really a problem
Quote by dspellman

that is a valid point, you can also throw in how hard you push the speaker into this kinda logic as well.

if you are running something like a G12M greenback and like the speaker distortion (as most do) then you may not push the speaker as hard and you'll miss out on some of that tone too.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
that is a valid point, you can also throw in how hard you push the speaker into this kinda logic as well.

if you are running something like a G12M greenback and like the speaker distortion (as most do) then you may not push the speaker as hard and you'll miss out on some of that tone too.

Ahh, yes of course. I'm running a v30 btw.