Page 1 of 2
my 2 favorite bands are pink floyd and radiohead. lately, i've been listening to tame impala a lot. obviously, i've listened to cream and jimi hendrix. i also really liked the first and the last MGMT album (not because of kids, Time to pretend or electric feel) but hated the second. most people say that these are(except for radiohead) psychedelic band

so my question is: do you guys think psychedelic music (or what i just mentionned) is weird? Most of my friends, who don’t know music that much, think that MGMT is "so weird and psychedelic and ****ed up", but it seems very normal to me.

do you guys think that this music is weird, because i dont see the difference between these band and queens of the stone age or radiohead, for example. i get that they can use more pedal and especially more delay, but then again, as a guitar player, i find it easier to create a song if i put some delay.

i'd also like to know, what do you think make a song a psychedelic song?

ps: sorry for my english, it's not my first language
not really
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Psychadelic connotates something that is out of the ordinary. People consider non-ordinary as being weird. So yes its common.
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
the direct meaning of the word psychedelic is "mind manifesting"
I would say Radiohead is very psychedelic. Especially when you listen to Amnesiac. That is a brilliantly psychedelic album and it manifests my mind every time I listen to it.

I really like weird, mind manifesting music. Check out Tera Melos' album Patagonian Rats, or check out Zorch. Very, very psychedlic
pink floyd is your favourite band? don't they still play physical instruments lol what losers grow up

DISCLAIMER: There's a very good chance that i have no idea what i'm talking about.

Quote by CodeMonk
Your sig has never been more true.
And you are a piss poor troll.

Quote by phayzze
Can someone explain to me wtf this guy is on about

Quote by MinterMan22
pink floyd is your favourite band? don't they still play physical instruments lol what losers grow up

watch it m8
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
I only consider MGMT psychedelic out of those bands, and they're a more futurisic approach, so it might be Neo-Psychedelia or something... Same goes for Tame Impala. Cream and Jimi Hendrix are more Blues-Rock or something. Pink Floyd might have been psychedelic on the first albums but after Dark Side Of The Moon I think they are more Space Rock than anything else.

But as Nero said, Psychedelic is just rock that sounds weird basically. Guitars filles with delay and flanger and tremolo and distortion that all blend with synths usually to create weird layers of sounds. In paper it sounds similar to shoegaze, but if you hear bands from each genres, they sound really different.

But yeah... music genres
every ignant mofo tells me that "mgmt do sooo many hardcore drugs they do heroin bro" because of time to pretend when they're singing about the stereotypical rockstar "live fast die young" lifestyle and those people think that must mean they do heroin because they mention it in a song.

that's my contribution.

who gives a shit if it's weird? tame impala is my favorite band and mgmt and g?g! are tied for second... meh

Why would it be?
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Quote by seventh_angel
I only consider MGMT psychedelic out of those bands, and they're a more futurisic approach, so it might be Neo-Psychedelia or something... Same goes for Tame Impala. Cream and Jimi Hendrix are more Blues-Rock or something. Pink Floyd might have been psychedelic on the first albums but after Dark Side Of The Moon I think they are more Space Rock than anything else.

DSotM is when Floyd stopped being a Space Rock band. From then on they were just straight progressive.

Quote by SaintVitus
Weird music you say?

I prefer this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzDvpT-MjYs
Last edited by Malchius at Dec 8, 2013,
^nice to know that still sucks lol

Yeah it is. But that's good. Even though I don't like it. Weird tends to be good when it comes to music.

Not always. But you know. Normal music is what's on the radio so like who cares or whatever?
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Congratulations is the best album MGMT put out (and closest to being "psychedelic"). MGMT and Tame Impala or the only ones I'd look to as psychedelic bands out of what you've listed. Those bands aren't weird.

Good psychedelic music can get really weird though. Not that it's a bad thing.
No, not really. It's a very unique genre with unique sounds with vey unique techniques. Take The Beatles song Tomorrow Never Knows for example. That song is a psychedelic song for it's unique sound in the vocals and instruments. That's how some of the greatest artists of all time kind of sound. Jimi Hendrix, Pink Floyd, The Beatles, Janis Joplin etc. So in my opinion it's not weird, but unique. Still like it, a genre like no other.
Pink floyd is definitely psychedelic. Especially up to DSotM. But it's not like there later stuff lost all psychedelic influence.

All the bands in OP have some form of psychedelia in their work.
RIP Gooze

cats
op what are you talking about

kids, time to pretend, and electric feel are the only songs on oracular even worth listening to
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Quote by Nero Galon
Psychadelic connotates something that is out of the ordinary. People consider non-ordinary as being weird. So yes its common.

Well, yeah, but that's because that's what weird means

OT: yes, psychedelic music is meant to be a bit weird. nothing wrong with that.

Quote by Minterman22

ugh get your own shtick. it's lame enough when will does it, but at least he's "that guy." it's already super lame when snazz jumped on the dick of will's RIM BS, but another person joining is like ultimate 3rd wheeling
Last edited by progdude93 at Dec 9, 2013,
Quote by Primus2112
op what are you talking about

kids, time to pretend, and electric feel are the only songs on oracular even worth listening to

cancer
Quote by progdude93

Sometimes you just gotta get down to the basic theory.
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
cancer
Time to Pretend is one of my favourite MGMT songs. Kids is the only one out of those three I'd say isn't really that great.
West Ham United
the only MGMT song i've heard is a remix of congratulations that was in a baseball game

that song is pretty rad so ill assume the rest of their stuff is too. havent gotten around to checking them out tho
There's literally no way you haven't heard Kids. Even if you don't know it, you've heard it.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
cancer

sorry man, i just dont like shitty songs
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
the original is nothing compared to the remix. its too sassy

Quote by progdude93
It's been one of the most overused soundtrack songs on TV shows and movies.

if i havent heard it, i havent heard it mang

im only just finding out brand new and broken social scene exist. im hardly in the loop
Last edited by soundgarden1986 at Dec 9, 2013,
Quote by Primus2112
sorry man, i just dont like shitty songs

thats why you only like the poppiest, shittiest things mgmt have ever put out. funny guy
On a side note I hate people who write "im am so hi rite naw " on MGMT and Tame Impala comments. I always thought of psychedelic music as something you listen to sober to take you to another place without the drugs. Am I right?
Quote by progdude93

OT: yes, psychedelic music is meant to be a bit weird. nothing wrong with that.

ugh get your own shtick. it's lame enough when will does it, but at least he's "that guy." it's already super lame when snazz jumped on the dick of will's RIM BS, but another person joining is like ultimate 3rd wheeling

pink floyd legit is the most boring band in the world though

Quote by MinterMan22
pink floyd legit is the most boring band in the world though

I'm not a big Pink Floyd guy their music is very tolerable, and yeah I find a lot of it boring as well, but some of it's really good.

But that doesn't make jumping on the #RIMlol dickwagon any less lame.
Quote by MinterMan22

yeh

Quote by progdude93

wow i'm progdude look at me look at all the buzz i'm killing wow such edge
Last edited by captainsnazz at Dec 9, 2013,
Page 1 of 2