I have been repairing a guitar for a few days, and I just got to the electrical parts today. What happened was that, in the guitar, 4 wires had become unattached. I resoldered a few, but I couldn't get the solder to flow nicely, because my solder was plumbing solder.. I was having a real tough time with it. And understandably, I know you're not supposed to use that in electrical, but it was all I had. It seemed to be working at times too, because it was working for a little while. I was suggested by someone that using flux would help with getting the solder to run a little better. This worked wonders while I was working with it, but then I noticed that there was no output. Absolutely no sound coming from the guitar. Tested the cord and the amp, both fine.

I did some research, and I found that (from a non scholarly forum post) that plumbing flux is non-conductive. This is why I think that it isn't working. Any thoughts?

P.S. I used a wiring scheme from Ibanez (it was an Ibanez Rg 170... VERY old guitar, and it quite rough shape), and I am 100% certain that everything is where it's supposed to.

I've done this with other guitars, without the flux and with the right solder, and never had an issue. Do you guys thing its the flux? or maybe something else?

I think this is the best place to post this? I think?

Thanks for all your help!!

-honesty
Gear

Guitars
Ibanez ART 300
Squier Strat
Godin 12 string Antique cedarburst
Ibanez RGD 320

Amps
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60W
Peavey Solo 15 W
Fender 10 W

Effects
Dunlop GCB - 95 Crybaby wah
Boss DD-7 Digital Delay
Boss MT-2 Distortion
Plumbing flux is corrosive, and plumbing solder has an acid flux core... NEVER, EVER, EVER use them for electrical connections.

Undo all your wiring and remove the old flux. Use proper flux-core electrical solder. If it won't flow well, make sure the connection points are clean and free of oxidation. Don't use silver-based solder if you have a choice.
Do you think that could be why it isn't working?
Gear

Guitars
Ibanez ART 300
Squier Strat
Godin 12 string Antique cedarburst
Ibanez RGD 320

Amps
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60W
Peavey Solo 15 W
Fender 10 W

Effects
Dunlop GCB - 95 Crybaby wah