Hello I hope someone can offer me some advice, I apologize in advance if im posting this in the wrong section.

I am new to tube amps. I just bought a peavey 6505 +112 combo in hopes to get a nice brutal metal tone for example like, european death / black metal sound but i cant get it. I mess with the knobs and gain and such but all i get is a clean sound, ill make it louder but then all i get is a very loud clean sound, no distortion.

Im using a Schecter damien elite 6 with active EMG 81's

Im very inexperienced with tube amps so i dont know if its my amp or i need an effects pedal or what, any help would be appreciated
Umm... did you change channel from the clean one?
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
The LED should be red for the lead channel, if it's green then you're on rhythm which won't get you that sort of tone.
Also if you've played with all the knobs and 'Post' is higher than about 3, turn that down before you change it over or you'll deafen yourself with some serious feedback...

The gain on the 6505 series is beastly, and almost all comes from the preamp tubes which means it doesn't have to be too loud to get a nice heavy distorted tone. It's definitely not a matter of needing pedals to get distortion.

Another thing to check is the batteries in your pickups, they may be running out and that's causing the issue, plug into something else or with another guitar to check this if you still can't get it going.

Incase you have absolutely no idea what you're doing - Lead channel, 'Post' is you volume and 'Pre' is your gain, 'Presence' adds a 'thickness' to your tone, while 'Resonance' acts like a second treble control and tightens it up a bit.

If all else fails, consult the manual which is available online, just Google it.

Last edited by Viscerus at Dec 9, 2013,
Not enough gain on the 6505+?! I think there's something fishy here.

For what it's worth, if you're looking to shape your distortion so that it's more viscous and less chunky, a TS9 Tubescreamer into a 6505+ is a classic combo.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
^ +1, an od pedal (ts-style or sd1-style) is a good idea. assuming you're not just dialling it in wrong.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
There are two gain knobs on the amp - pre gain and post gain. Pre gain = pre amp volume which is normally called "gain" - turn it up, post gain = power amp volume which is your regular volume knob.

Yeah, and make sure you have the distortion channel on.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
thanks for the replys everyone, Ive tried everything suggested and im starting to think something is wrong with the amp. Its on the lead red channel and all i get is clean sounding, no distortion at all, i even turned all the knobs on max and all that did was make the clean sound louder.

Think its the amp?
How are the tubes?
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by Jennaviv
Hello I hope someone can offer me some advice, I apologize in advance if im posting this in the wrong section.

I am new to tube amps. I just bought a peavey 6505 +112 combo in hopes to get a nice brutal metal tone for example like, european death / black metal sound but i cant get it. I mess with the knobs and gain and such but all i get is a clean sound, ill make it louder but then all i get is a very loud clean sound, no distortion.

Im using a Schecter damien elite 6 with active EMG 81's

Im very inexperienced with tube amps so i dont know if its my amp or i need an effects pedal or what, any help would be appreciated

To get a Brutal metal sound try the C tuning which is C-F-A♯-D♯-G-C

For the amp settings, medium bass, max gain, high treble, and cut off the mids, or use a low ammount of mid gain.

Play also the settings in your guitar!

Im also new to guitarist hobby, but I did a little research and asked for help, or searched for solutions myself. Google is your friend
Quote by Jennaviv
thanks for the replys everyone, Ive tried everything suggested and im starting to think something is wrong with the amp. Its on the lead red channel and all i get is clean sounding, no distortion at all, i even turned all the knobs on max and all that did was make the clean sound louder.

Think its the amp?

do you have fresh batteries in your emgs?

if so then it sounds like the amp, yeah (or at least the tubes). you should have a shedload of gain with a 6505 on the lead channel, even without emgs.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah i have brand new batteries, i was thinking the same thing though, i should get gain without them so i guess ill be taking it back. This is my first tube amp so i dont know how to judge them, the two in the back are glowing orange a little bit
Yeah, take it back. I ran sound Saturday for a band that ran the 6505+ 1x12 combo. It was actually pretty nice sounding, almost exactly the same as the 6505+ head. And it had lots of gain on tap.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
yeah it sounds like there's something wrong, so take it back. good luck
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?