I have an Epi Les Paul Standard with the stock pickups and have been thinking of swapping them out for SD-59's. The stock pickups have the nickel covers. Can these covers be moved over to the new SD-59's or are they glued permanently to the stock ones? I like the look of the nickel covers and would prefer to keep that look with new pickups. On the other hand, I don't want to waste $15 apiece for new covers if I can re-use the old ones.
Can't you just get the '59s with nickel covers installed already? The pickups are wax potted inside the covers, so removing and refitting them isn't a simple task.
Quote by -MintSauce-
Can't you just get the '59s with nickel covers installed already? The pickups are wax potted inside the covers, so removing and refitting them isn't a simple task.

Yes, you can buy the '59s with the nickel covers already, but they're more expensive than the uncovered ones. Looks like I'll need to spend some more coin if I want the nickel covered '59s. Thanks for letting me know.
Most humbucker covers are brazed or soldered to the back of the pickup. You will have to figure out a way to get the existing covers off without damaging the pickup. Maybe a Dremmel with a round sawblade?
I think it will be be easier, safer, and faster to install new pickups instead of trying to modify what you have. Good luck.