Hi there,

Although Ive been playing for 20+ years, Ive always been somewhat "ignorant" and out of the loop when it comes to effects. I dont know whats good these days or what new and exciting toys are on the market.

MY MISSION:
I want to find a new all around a-z effects toy... mainly for at home use with earphones (however, being able to use it on a gig or during band practice is a bonus). Something small.

Id like to find something that has a huge variety of different effects that range from cleans to distortions to delay,chrous,phase,flange etc. to space sounds to drum sounds to other instrument sounds. As many different sounds as I can get.

- - My main sounds are a nice hendrix/fender clean and a heavy distortion for classic metal and shredding and a less gain distortion for classic rock type stuff. - -

I just want something that can give me My main sounds mentioned above.... PLUS ... a whole bunch of other Fun Effects that I can play with.

Remember, this is mainly for an at home toy to mess around and have fun with. My main goal IS NOT playing gigs or recording with it.

From the little research Ive done (not much yet), It looks like I want a Guitar Synth, as its the only thing that can create the sounds of other instruments etc. (like a keyboard synth).
The only problem is its theyre too expensive. $1500+. I need a special guitar to hold the special pickup, and then an effects/synth unit etc. I wish but, its a little too much.

So Ive been looking at some of the "line 6" pods. XT, X3, hd300, HD desktop or the live/floor models of the xt,x3,hd500.
During my research of the line 6 units, I hear other people say they suck or are amazing. Other people mention things like "Axe-FX" and other units.

At this stage, Im a little overwhelmed.

I went to 2 guitar shops and the people who work there werent much help.

Can anyone suggest something for what Im looking for? Something in the $500 and below price range.

I just want something that has good clean/distortion sounds and a boat load of different effects I can play with.

Im leaning towards the HD500x or HDdesktop however, I dont know if there are other units out there that are better. Im not into recording etc so the HD500's may be overkill?

I saw an line6 POD-XT for sale $100 on CList. Is that a good deal?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
LizardLegs
I've got an array of modelers, including a bunch of the Line 6 Pod stuff and an Axe-FX Ultra, and I've been using them for years.

If you're going to be using these things on a gig OR if you're going to be buying a Variax guitar at some point, buy the HD500x. If you're not going to be buying a Variax guitar, you don't need the HD500x and you can buy the little "bean" HD desktop version and (if you should change your mind and decide to gig with it) an FBV Shortboard later.

The HD in its many forms is very very very very good. You will hear a LOT about the Axe-FX being the best (or the Kemper or whatever other $2K thing comes out tomorrow), and it's very good as well, but honestly it's a bit more complicated, a bit more of a PIA and a whole lot more expensive.

I currently use the little HD through headphones (spend about $100-200 for some good over-ears like the AKG 240, the Sennheiser 280, the BeyerDynamic 770 or the Sony 7506, all studio recording quality). I also run it through a pair of KRK Rokit 8 studio monitors (I also run my keyboards through these at home). These were just upgraded from Generation 2 to Generation 3 (no really significant changes), so you may still be able to find Gen 2's at $150 each or below.

I also run it through some old Atomic Reactor 112-18 and 212-50's (google them) that were specifically designed for modelers; these things are essentially, with the Pod installed in a hot-swappable bay, the second half of a combo amp that uses the Pod as a preamp section. I also run the Pod through a pair of fEARless F115s (google, again) with a 1500W solid state PA-type power amp. And finally, it runs directly into the mixer of any PA system in a large club.

That's not a Pod exclusive -- virtually any good preamp or modeler will do the same things.

What I really like about the "bean" is that you can stuff it into a gig bag pocket and take it anywhere. There's a small wall wart and that's it. There are actually fewer models on the HD than there are on my old XT (with extra "packs) or X3, but they're better quality. As with most of these units, the presets are there to display how far you can take the unit, but they're virtually useless for real work; you'll want to fiddle with things. The issue is that you've got so much more stuff to fiddle with than if you simply bought one amp or one pedal. If you get caught up in all of what's available, it can be frustrating and confusing, but taken a piece at a time, it can be very rewarding.

And one final thing. While the Pod HD is well within your price range new at retail, it's also been out just long enough to have been flipped by the "try and toss" crowd, so it's often available in perfect condition used at a sub-$300 price. You can even sometimes find enough of a discount from GCs and Hello Music to get it in that price range new.
Last edited by dspellman at Dec 9, 2013,
thanks for the info dspellman....

If I was to go for the HD500 over the bean, it would be for the wah/expression pedal use.

Since, Ive stumbled over the "ZOOM G5"....

It has tons of amps, effects etc...

It has a looper, a drum machine, a tuner and multi-direction pedal.

As well, its only $300 new.

Since Im not purchasing for a 'serious' reason other than to have a toy with lots of sounds/effects.... The ZoomG5 is looking better than the HD's.

Some people are saying they like the Zoom better than the HD500. I also saw a great comparrison video of the two.

Im going to keep looking around before I buy...

Thanks again for the insights. It's getting me closer to a purchase.

Any other ideas would be welcomed.

Thanks
Drew
The Zoom G5 is a great multifx. You don't need a special guitar for a synth. You need a special pickup (like Roland's GK3) and they are designed to mount on any guitar (either to the bridge or double sided sticky tape).

Another option out now is the $400 Fishman Triple Play. It's a guitar to midi convertor and uses the midi to create synth sounds on your computer. And it's wireless!

http://www.fishman.com/products/view/tripleplay-wireless-guitar-controller
I don't have any experience with other multifx, but I personally use the Boss ME-70 and that has served me very well. It has a rather wide range of effects, is housed very sturdily and has quite intuitive controls.

I use it for practise only, as I am not a gigging musician, but it is really inspiring to play around with.
Please let me keep this memory, just this one ..
Quote by fly135
The Zoom G5 is a great multifx. You don't need a special guitar for a synth. You need a special pickup (like Roland's GK3) and they are designed to mount on any guitar (either to the bridge or double sided sticky tape).

Another option out now is the $400 Fishman Triple Play. It's a guitar to midi convertor and uses the midi to create synth sounds on your computer. And it's wireless!

http://www.fishman.com/products/view/tripleplay-wireless-guitar-controller

The Fishman sounds cool (no 3prong needed).... Do I have to be plugged into my computer in order to play it though?

If I could dowload all the sounds online,, than just plug my headphones into it and play that would be great.

"For Home Practice" I currently have 2 of the little Vox headphone amps. The Twin and Metal. I love the fact I dont need a guitar chord to play. I just plug the Vox into the input and plug my headphones into the Vox. As well, they sound pretty frick'in awsome for what they are. However, they are limited to 1 sound/1 effect.

I just watched a bunch of Zoom G5 vids on YouTube. It seems to be the leader unless this Fisherman can do what I need.

Thanks
Last edited by lizardlegs at Dec 9, 2013,
I just watched the following video on the Fishman and was BLOWN AWAY !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwmNwAFPJ_k

Exactly the type of toy Im looking for.

However, it looks like I have to be connected to the computer to use it. That turns me off as I need something I can take into any room and play, without having to be wired in to a computer.

Does the Fishman come with everything: wireless pickup/receiver, software, foot pedal?
or would I have to buy seperate items to get it fully functional?

Im considering getting a Zoom G5 and a Fishman now. lol

Thanks
For $500 the POD HD500X is pretty much the best you're going to get.

And I don't mean that negatively, it's a hell of a unit for $500.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Pretty sure the foot switch is optional. The Fishman is a midi system. So you can buy any midi floorboard to control it. Behringer (the FCB1010) makes an economical one that a lot of people use.