Got a question for everyone,

I recently bought some really heavy gauge strings (.12 - .60) for my Schecter omen 6 so that I can have decent tension when going down to drop A.

The tone is fantastic when clean but for some reason when a decent amount of distortion is applied the low end freaks out (kind of a nasty rumbly distortion) and it sounds like crap.

Any ideas for me before I pay some tech to look at it?

Thanks
What amp is it?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Did you have the nut filed to accept the new gauge of strings?
Have you checked the neck relief?
Have you checked the intonation?

Sounds like it is the amp more than the guitar by your description.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I use Amplitube to make my own amps and effects. I have many presets that sound awesome with other guitars. It goes through an Akai EIE interface.

No I have not had the nut filed yet. I am going to borrow some nut files from a friend soon. Neck relief and intonation have been adjusted accordingly though.
Quote by furryantelope
I use Amplitube to make my own amps and effects. I have many presets that sound awesome with other guitars. It goes through an Akai EIE interface.

No I have not had the nut filed yet. I am going to borrow some nut files from a friend soon. Neck relief and intonation have been adjusted accordingly though.

Well if it sounds good clean but not with distortion that is your amp/interface issue not the guitar. The guitars signal is the same no mater what, the amp/interface adds the distortion

are you using headphones or monitor speakers? have you tweaked the EQ's for the amps on the program? The lower notes might not agree with the interface/program.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I guess all it needs then is a good ol' HP filter at the front of the signal chain. The heavier strings must be adding a lot of low end.

I actually have a quality set of monitors which have never caused me trouble before.
Well that is the extent of my troubleshooting knowledge with computer sims. good luck
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Heavier strings cause higher output amplitude. It could just be that your clean presets have more headroom than the distortion presets. Low freqs are interesting in that regard.

If turning down the guitar volume on the distortion presets helps this, then try lowering the input level to the preset. Go to the EQ and look for a slider named "preamp" or "input volume" or something to that effect.