Hey so I'm not sure how this happened but I've ended up with this

which is all reserved for the purpose of buying myself something nice.

(£700 is about $1k)

So I was thinking about finally getting a new guitar. I don't really want to spend it all but I'm not completely averse to it (around £500 would be best).

Stuff I want:
-Passive pickups
-Humbucker in the bridge, I play with high-ish gain, but I want good cleans as well so a single-coil or 2, or a good coil split, would be good
-Don't care about the body shape (I'd prefer a more traditional shape though)
-Good access to the upper frets (I have enormous bear hands)
-Not sure about the neck profile but I think I'd prefer a wide but flat one instead of a V- or U- profile
-24+ frets
-Fixed bridge unless I can get an OFR or something (I have a guitar with a terrible LFR so I don't want to repeat that)
-I'd also be interested in a longer scale length/scalloped top frets/any other weird stuff

Second hand stuff is okay but I think I'd still want it to feel kind of new. I've never spent this much on a guitar so I want it to be well-built and nice to play.

Not all guitar brands are available where I live but I can find most of the big ones so any suggestions would be great
Last edited by LRCGUITAR at Dec 9, 2013,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Fernandes JUST started deep discounts on their direct-sales website. The Dragonfly might appeal to you.

http://www.fernandesguitarshop.com/elite/60-dragonfly-elite.html

Those discounts are pretty huge... There's not many places selling Fernandes guitars in the UK though and I'd want to play it before buying it, no matter how good a deal it is

Quote by ambler3
Tbh I find £=/=$ when it comes to guitar gear in the UK.

Also what sort of bands will you be playing?
What gear do you currently have?

I assume you don't mind if its a hardtail bridge or TOM style bridge?

Actually with a lot of stuff like guitars and technology people seem to ignore the fact that a dollar is 60% less valuable than a pound and just change the sign, so we end up overpaying hugely. But anyway:

I don't want a guitar that's limited to a few genres, I play mainly rock, some metal... I'm looking for a guitar that's versatile so I won't have to get a new guitar if my tastes change. I don't really want to name bands because I don't want to imitate anyone's tone.

Currently I play a cheap strat copy which has a surprisingly good clean tone and distorts well, and is quite nice to play... But it does feel cheap to play and the hardware is pretty low quality. I've also got a Kramer Vanguard which is great for metal but not much else... the action is uncomfortably high and the hardware is terrible.

My amp is a Roland Cube 30, I might get a valve amp sooner or later but it's not an immediate target.

I don't mind which type of bridge it is, I don't think I've ever used a hardtail but if it's anything like a strat vibrato bridge to play on I think I'd prefer it
Last edited by LRCGUITAR at Dec 9, 2013,
You might take a look at Reverends, though I don't think any have more than 22 frets. Very well made & versatile, though.

http://www.vintageandmodernguitars.co.uk/reverendsetneckguitars.html
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
richtone has got a shipment of NOS Japanese Charvel pro mods. Most of the nicer colours have gone, plus it'd mean more or less ignoring your ideal spec checklist there ( ) but yeah. i'd have thought they'd be hard to beat at your budget.

oh and yamaha music london has a NOS ibanez rg1570 prestige for £500. Same thing as above- not necessarily your exact ideal spec but you'd be hard pushed to beat it without spending a good bit more
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
richtone has got a shipment of NOS Japanese Charvel pro mods. Most of the nicer colours have gone, plus it'd mean more or less ignoring your ideal spec checklist there ( ) but yeah. i'd have thought they'd be hard to beat at your budget.

oh and yamaha music london has a NOS ibanez rg1570 prestige for £500. Same thing as above- not necessarily your exact ideal spec but you'd be hard pushed to beat it without spending a good bit more

Thanks for the recommendations... They both look good but like you said they're pretty far from what I want specifically, and I can see this being the last guitar I buy for a long time so I want it to be exactly what I want
no worries
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?