I assumed my bridge pickups are too low, so I decide to screw them a bit higher.
What are the cons, and what are the benefits for a 25.5 stratocoaster with 9-42 nickel wound strings on C standard tuning?

Will it get a brighter tone on the highs?
Last edited by Fensonous at Dec 9, 2013,
Plug it in and find out. This is a subjective, trial and error thing. Adjust until it sounds good, that's the benefit.
Got a screwdriver? Experiment.

EDIT: Whoa, you're in C standard with 9-42's? Those must be floppy.

EDITAGAIN: Haha, Stratocoaster. I'm calling it that from now on.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
It'll get louder and more gainy. If you go nuts with it and get them too high, it could kill some of your tail end sustain. Somewhere in the middle of that, if you like your guitar, you'll find the right tone. Conversely, if you play high gain music, you might try lowering them a little it for a lower gain, more percussive crunchy sound.
Quote by JustRooster
Got a screwdriver? Experiment.

EDIT: Whoa, you're in C standard with 9-42's? Those must be floppy.

EDITAGAIN: Haha, Stratocoaster. I'm calling it that from now on.

My thoughts exactly

0.9's in C, that has to sound messy.

Putting your pups higher gives you some more attack and gain but putting them too close can cause some problems due to magnetic pull. It can cause loss of sustain like some already said and it can cause fret buzz, which i guess you already have.
Quote by AEnesidem
My thoughts exactly

0.9's in C, that has to sound messy.

Putting your pups higher gives you some more attack and gain but putting them too close can cause some problems due to magnetic pull. It can cause loss of sustain like some already said and it can cause fret buzz, which i guess you already have.

What strings would you recommend?
Quote by Fensonous

At least 11's, ideally 12's.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by Fensonous
I assumed my bridge pickups are too low, so I decide to screw them a bit higher.
What are the cons, and what are the benefits for a 25.5 stratocoaster with 9-42 nickel wound strings on C standard tuning?

Will it get a brighter tone on the highs?

No. Generally speaking, there are factory recommendations for distance from the strings that are pretty much on the money. You'll get a bit more volume by screwing them closer to the strings, but you'll also increase the amount of magnetic flux that's working on the strings, and that's going to reduce your sustain. It may also *decrease* the brightness of the output. Les Paul PAF type pickups, for example, will usually find their best sound with the neck pickup screwed DOWN almost flush with the pickup surround. Higher = muddier.

C standard tuning will generally be muddy with that size string on a 25.5" scale due in part to the reduction in tension on the strings.
Quote by Fensonous

Like someone said before me 0.11-0.12 would be good.