Page 1 of 2
How do you feel about dead languages (latin, old greek etc.) or fictional languages (elfish, klingon)? Is there any benefit in learning them? How do you feel about people that spend their life learning one of these languages that are not used in the real world?

I myself studied latin and old greek in school, forgot most of it as I have never ever needed it again in my real life. Elfish sounds really lovely, but I just don't want to spend my limited time learning it.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
I'd probably take their lunch money and stuff them in a locker

learn a REAL skill

Like playing the guitar? Gaming?
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
I took 4 years of Latin in high school. Complete waste of time.
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
My old head of 6th form knew Latin and Cornish

He was a racist so I can only assume it was the languages
I can talk like chewbaca when im having an orgasm
Whats goes around must come down
Fictional languages are for ****ing losers. Dead languages have their uses, but in limited contexts (i.e. if you're a historian of a particular time period. I've been thinking of learning Old Norse recently but haven't found the time)
i don't know why people would ever want to learn a fictional language. dead languages can still be relevant sometimes

it could make sense for, say, a doctor or a writer to learn latin. or for a historian to learn ancient greek.
Quote by Neo Evil11
Gaming?

damn right, l3rn h0w to play az an amaz0n without using b0w skilz, and g3t m4d pssy, fgt

but seriously, EITHER of those 2 things (especially guitar) have more value in the real world than learning how to speak elvish. Do it if you want, but that time could be spent on something way more fulfilling

also: that shits mad weak, bruv. If I found out that anyone I knew had invested the time in learning to speak klingon, I would lose vast amounts of respect for them, and also mock/tease them relentlessly.
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Dec 9, 2013,
I remember reading about a bunch of studies showing how people who know more than one language tend to have more fit brains in general, although you might as well learn a language that you could actually use regularly. Not sure, but isn't latin one of the harder languages to learn? I could see how that would give you a better mental exercise and all.

If you're a really pragmatic person I don't think you'll see any value at all, but for those who are interested I would imagine it would be interesting to know and understand where a lot of words that we use regularly actually come from, and to learn a little of about the history and culture of such an old language.
Quote by zincabopataurio
I remember reading about a bunch of studies showing how people who know more than one language tend to have more fit brains in general, although you might as well learn a language that you could actually use regularly. Not sure, but isn't latin one of the harder languages to learn? I could see how that would give you a better mental exercise and all.

If you're a really pragmatic person I don't think you'll see any value at all, but for those who are interested I would imagine it would be interesting to know and understand where a lot of words that we use regularly actually come from, and to learn a little of about the history and culture of such an old language.

The only problem with learning latin and old greek is that you can get no practice at all. At least with German or French you can go listen to some tv or go to the country.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
I suppose it's cool if you're a fan, but I think it's worth more of someone's time to learn a valuable one that might have real world application. My half-ass spanish helps me during the summer all the time when we have seasonal migration workers that come though.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by Lt. Shinysides

also: that shits mad weak, bruv. If I found out that anyone I knew had invested the time in learning to speak klingon, I would lose vast amounts of respect for them, and also mock/tease them relentlessly.

You must be a Romulan baktag
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by Neo Evil11
The only problem with learning latin and old greek is that you can get no practice at all. At least with German or French you can go listen to some tv or go to the country.

I'm sure there are plenty of old philosophical texts or pieces of literature written by Greek philosophers and writers that were originally written in old greek or latin.

You could just read a translation (what everyone usually does), but often times, translating between different languages results in a loss of some of the original meaning of the text, something that you can only experience if you read the text in the original language (for example, there are certain expressions in Japanese that don't exist in the English language).
I don't actually "know" Klingon, besides Qapla and ptak, I had to look that one up.

And the two I mentioned are used at least more than once so
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Quote by zincabopataurio
I'm sure there are plenty of old philosophical texts or pieces of literature written by Greek philosophers and writers that were originally written in old greek or latin.

You could just read a translation (what everyone usually does), but often times, translating between different languages results in a loss of some of the original meaning of the text, something that you can only experience if you read the text in the original language (for example, there are certain expressions in Japanese that don't exist in the English language).

No you can translate stuff, but that's all... there's no verbal practice keeping your skill up to date. Translating stuff all the time is boring.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
I got a couple of friends who now how to speak american
Whats goes around must come down
One of my professors likes to recite sections of Beowulf to us in Anglo-Saxon.

The only people I know who are interested in fictional languages are linguists.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by Neo Evil11
No you can translate stuff, but that's all... there's no verbal practice keeping your skill up to date. Translating stuff all the time is boring.

I dunno, I'm sure there are conventions out there where people go and only talk in klingon or whatever.

Like I said if you're a pragmatic person you probably won't find value in any of this stuff. I wouldn't learn Latin myself just for the sake of reading old literature, although I do want to learn french for practical reasons as well as just general interest.
I've thought about learning elvish, but its not exactly completed so you just have to make up some parts.

And I really don't think its any less useful than anything like playing guitar (if you don't make money) or video games (if you don't make money). And don't just say the point is that some people can make money at those things, because most people don't but we don't make fun of them for it. If its something you enjoy doing, why does it really matter?

Also learning latin is supposed to teach you a lot about the structure of language. Also once you learned latin you could pick up French, Italian, and Spanish much more easily.
Quote by Trowzaa
what specs is your pc? like how much ram?

Quote by Hydra150
[IMG]http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large-5/three-rams-steve-mckinzie.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by eGraham
3 ram, nice

Quote by Neo Evil11
Like playing the guitar? Gaming?

Except gaming is a skill that only reaches within the confines of a fabricated environment whereas guitar is an actual skill but nvm
Quote by Basti95
Except gaming is a skill that only reaches within the confines of a fabricated environment whereas guitar is an actual skill but nvm

Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Basti95

Except guitar is a skill that only reaches within the confines of 12 notes whereas gaming is an actual skill but nvm
They are either all skills, or none of them is a skill (including the languages). If knowing how to do something and being good at it is a skill, they're all skills. If not, then I don't know what the fuck a skill is.
Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by Hydra150
[IMG]http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large-5/three-rams-steve-mckinzie.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by eGraham
3 ram, nice

Quote by Danjo's Guitar
If not, then I don't know what the fuck a skill is.

a skill is something that bitches are interested in. if you want to get mad pussy, you have to have skills. therefore if something you can do helps you get mad bitches, its a skill. knowing how to speak elvish is literally the opposite.
A skill is a skill in that it's developed but is honestly pretty useless

As long as you recognize that you'll be okay
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Depends on the language.
I was learning to speak Esperanto, then I stopped because I realized it's ****ing dumb. But I would credit someone more for learning a language like Latin or ancient Greek or Esperanto (the first two being dead, the last being fictional) over something like elvish or some shit from star trek or that language from Avatar. That's just stupid and shit.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
a skill is something that bitches are interested in. if you want to get mad pussy, you have to have skills. therefore if something you can do helps you get mad bitches, its a skill. knowing how to speak elvish is literally the opposite.

Thats not true, its just much more of a niche skill. If theres a bitch out there who knows elvish, and I learn how to speak elvish, theres pretty much a 100% chance she will **** me. Whereas I'm pretty sure no one has ever gotten laid just because they were good at guitar unless they were also cool and popular and stuff.

edit: And when has anyone gotten laid because they were good at video games?
Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by Hydra150

Quote by eGraham
3 ram, nice

Last edited by Danjo's Guitar at Dec 9, 2013,
^ Korea

Quote by Basti95

I don't even own a console or PC, but that's blatantly false. Gaming is actually shown to have wonderfully positive effects on the brain.

Unfortunately, most of them are wasted on gametards, but still.
Quote by Danjo's Guitar

And when has anyone gotten laid because they were good at video games?

i went on a date once that ended up at an arcade
she said shed blow me if i beat her at street fighter

she kicked my ass

she still blew me
Page 1 of 2