Hi, so I am looking to purchase a new pedal for my pedalboard to achieve a better distortion tone. I am currently playing on a Kustom half stack, not sure the model name but the distortion I get out of this is really muddy and I can't seem to find a good tone. I have been using a BOSS NS-2 noise suppressor pedal along with a metalzone overdrive pedal. I tried finding a decent tone with the amp's built in lead channel and then using this metalzone pedal over that to find a good tone, but I can't seem to find a sound I like.

I am looking for a very heavy sound, my band plays in drop A tuning with 7 string guitars and we play metalcore/djenty music. I just want to get a nice tone with a lot of attack. Would it be better to just stick with the metalzone pedal for now and save up for a better half stack setup? Or could I achieve substantially better results with a new pedal? (around the range of 150-200$)

Any responses or recommendations from people knowledgeable about pedals would be much appreciated! Thanks!
Get a ts9. Alot of people.complain about it having alot of low cut but in drop a with a scooped eq you wont even notice. Itll tighten up any rig
Thanks for the suggestion! I checked out the ts9 and noticed it's a tubescreamer. I apologize for my lack of knowledge on the subject but will this pedal get as good of a sound if its not played through a tube amp? I forgot to mention that my head is solid state.
Don't bother with a dirt pedal.

Does your amp have an FX loop?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
dlowe102, thanks for the suggestion I will check that one out too.

offworld92, I am not entirely sure what you mean by an FX loop, the amp does have some digital FX, like reverb, delay etc. if that is what you're referring to?
Last edited by dougbruce at Dec 9, 2013,
The FX loop is a set of Send (output) and Return (input) jacks, which are placed (very generally and simply) after the preamp, before the poweramp. They let you put FX in your signal chain, after the preamp of your amp (the part of the amp that shapes the sound), so the FX can just be amplified by the poweramp without being colored.

Is this the stack you have? http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/kustom-kg100hfx-and-kg412-half-stack

I don't think that amp has a loop, which is unfortunate for what you want to do.

But hope isn't all lost if you can get a decent clean sound out of the amp.

Don't buy a distortion pedal. In fact, sell your NS-2 to add to your funds.

Then either buy a Line 6 POD X3 Live ($200ish used) or the best POD HD you can (probably the HD300 in your budget).

Either the POD HD or POD X3 will DESTROY your amp with a dirt pedal in front for djent and modern metal. I would highly recommend the X3 - it is, very realisitcally, the unit that pioneered the djent genre. Meshuggah used them (Vettas) and I think Periphery used X3s when they first started.

Now normally, you would get a POD, and run it into the Return jack of the FX loop, so the POD does all of the amp, cab and FX modeling, and can be amplified by the poweramp cleanly. That is why you want an FX loop on your amp. But if you don't have that, you can run it into the front of the amp (Input) with the amp set clean. It will just be harder to EQ.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Don't buy a distortion pedal. In fact, sell your NS-2 to add to your funds.

The NS-2 Is the noise suppressor, I don't know if you knew that and just worded it oddly, but I think you meant for him to sell the metal zone pedal.
I'm sure the amp has an fx loop. Most of the Kustom heads do. I feel like an EQ pedal would be great for clearing up a little mud. Running a Metalzone in front of any overdriven amp won't sound good.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Your Metal Zone pedal isn't meant to be mixed with your amps gain. It's not an overdrive it's a distortion pedal. You are supposed to use distortion pedals with the clean channel of your amp. Overdrives are for getting more crunch from your crunch/lead channels if you wanted a metal sound. Try your pedal into the clean channel.