http://www.prsguitars.com/s2series/

My local just got one of each from the new(ish) S2 series. Figured I'd start a thread about these to raise awareness and start a discussion. The Starla and Mira are pretty good, but the Custom 24 blew me away! Super good value.

Anyone get their hands on 'em? It seems that if you change the bridge and nut for the real ones, and swap the pickups to your liking, you have yourself a hot-rodded PRS "studio" equivalent.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by JustRooster at Dec 9, 2013,
I've been waiting for this to happen a long long time. Once I pay off my strat that custom 24 is the perfect guitar for what I'm looking for.
song stuck in my head today

A problem I have with the SEs is the flat tops, and these still have flat tops. They don't feel good IMO.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
A problem I have with the SEs is the flat tops, and these still have flat tops. They don't feel good IMO.

+1 a flat top PRS is just wrong.

Get a used CE22/24 and you'll have a proper PRS for $1000ish.

The USA PRS bridges don't fit on the SE and the SE has the same bridge as the S2
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Offworld92

interesting did not think of that I'll have to play one.
song stuck in my head today

I just want to know who the blind sociopath was that was responsible for the pickguard on the Starla.

The one on the Mira is bad too but that whole guitar is a hot mess.

If they made an upscale version of the SE ONE that would be a great guitar.
coming from a guy with two completely unattached headstock repairs it sounds stupid when i bitch about the scarf joint, but there it is.

personally i liked the mira s2 more than the custom 24 when i played it. the 24s seem to have ugly duck tops so as not to really confuse with the higher models.

but looking at the brass bridge posts, brass tuner posts you know paul had some input into these. keeping certain things corky enough for me i won't lie.

but as said, a used mira or starla can be had for around or under $1000. there's one on tgp for $875 shipped? (not a s2)

but for someone who only wants to buy new? it's def a "studio" type competition at the sam ash/sweetwater/musicians friend type mass joints.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I agree with Roc, those pickguards are a little offputting on the starla and mira. really digging the sienna finish on those two though.

I don't know much about PRS overall. are these pickups sort of like Duncan designed or maybe ESP brand pickups they put in their LTDs, and they'll likely need replacing?

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

I saw one at my local shop this weekend. It looked like a nice build, but it wouldn’t compel be to buy it over a $1,000 LP Studio, or for that matter, a PRS SE. And I think PRS is having trouble coming up with a compelling pitch, because the only thing they really can say is “Made in Maryland”. Hopefully PRS will make these more compelling after the first year the way Gibson has with the LPJ and SGJ models.

I do think the S2 line probably pushed Gibson to make some of the improvements just announced for the 2014 lineup. It would be great for guitarists to have the American guitar makers going to war to see who can give us the best $1,000 guitar with a good PLEK job.
Quote by JustRooster
http://www.prsguitars.com/s2series/

My local just got one of each from the new(ish) S2 series. Figured I'd start a thread about these to raise awareness and start a discussion. The Starla and Mira are pretty good, but the Custom 24 blew me away! Super good value.

Anyone get their hands on 'em? It seems that if you change the bridge and nut for the real ones, and swap the pickups to your liking, you have yourself a hot-rodded PRS "studio" equivalent.

I dunno kinda hate the idea of paying $1000 + for a guitar that needs all of that. haven't played any of them yet so i'll reserve judgement.
Quote by Robbgnarly

The USA PRS bridges don't fit on the SE and the SE has the same bridge as the S2

CE's are still at 12-1500 bucks for something alder bodied from the early 1990's. Custom 22's and 24's are still 15-1700 used. I love em but I simply can't spend that much on a used guitar. I'd rather have a Carvin but that's just me
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
A few friends of mine in touring bands are endorsed by PRS and have guitars from the s2 line. They all seem pretty happy with them.

I'll note though, that out of the three guys I know with the endorsements, two of them are in a buttrawk band and only use the instruments to bang out generic drop-tuned rubbish, so their opinions carry about as much weight as a post-it-note to me. However, the third is in a couple different touring bands and is a very good guitarist. He seems to like his guitar a lot, but I've also seen him continue to use some of his older favorites quite a bit too. I'm under the assumption that he's using his s2 (I think it's the 24) for a specific tuning and not so much as a "go-to" axe. The next time I get to chat with him in person, I plan on asking him for his more in-depth thoughts
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
I personally love everything about the Starla. I wouldn't change a thing about it. I don't think the Custom 24 fits with the Mira and Starla though. It stands out as the outsider, kind of like the Mira and Starla before the S2 line.
Quote by RBM01991
CE's are still at 12-1500 bucks for something alder bodied from the early 1990's. Custom 22's and 24's are still 15-1700 used.

nope.
Quote by Robbgnarly

Darn, didn't know that. Still, you could get a denser nut and maybe locking tuners to make up for the lighter bridge.

Quote by Roc8995
I just want to know who the blind sociopath was that was responsible for the pickguard on the Starla.

The one on the Mira is bad too but that whole guitar is a hot mess.

If they made an upscale version of the SE ONE that would be a great guitar.

Agreed. They're at Heid on Mineral Point, btw. I don't think Ginter's shot or GC have them.

Quote by monwobobbo
I dunno kinda hate the idea of paying $1000 + for a guitar that needs all of that. haven't played any of them yet so i'll reserve judgement.

Feels good to be part of the Bolt-On Masterrace. $1,000 gets you hand made custom from local luthiers with all the trimmings.

Quote by sjones
A few friends of mine in touring bands are endorsed by PRS and have guitars from the s2 line. They all seem pretty happy with them.

I'll note though, that out of the three guys I know with the endorsements, two of them are in a buttrawk band and only use the instruments to bang out generic drop-tuned rubbish, so their opinions carry about as much weight as a post-it-note to me. However, the third is in a couple different touring bands and is a very good guitarist. He seems to like his guitar a lot, but I've also seen him continue to use some of his older favorites quite a bit too. I'm under the assumption that he's using his s2 (I think it's the 24) for a specific tuning and not so much as a "go-to" axe. The next time I get to chat with him in person, I plan on asking him for his more in-depth thoughts

Even Buttrawkers can attest to things staying in tune or taking a beating, though. They'll have very solid opinions about frets 3-6.
Quote by gregs1020
nope.

Where are you seeing otherwise? Because Ebay buy it nows say so.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

i watch the forum classifieds and craigslist locally. i saw a CE24 for $875 last week. (maple top version from 90s). i see mccartys and 24s for under $1500 regularly.

ebay this time of year is messed up. it's literally the best place to sell this time of year as people still think it's the best place to score cheap, when it's exactly the opposite.

watch tgp and hc classifieds, it's a buyers market for anything more than 5 years old PRS.
Quote by gregs1020
i watch the forum classifieds and craigslist locally. i saw a CE24 for $875 last week. (maple top version from 90s). i see mccartys and 24s for under $1500 regularly.

ebay this time of year is messed up. it's literally the best place to sell this time of year as people still think it's the best place to score cheap, when it's exactly the opposite.

watch tgp and hc classifieds, it's a buyers market for anything more than 5 years old PRS.

Oh ok, I didn't know that.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

yeah it's the xmass factor.

it's helped me dump a couple quick this year. people see the forum price (usually a bit lower) and get on the "let me think about this" train of thought.

then they see it on the bay and realize, it's not going to sit out there very long this time of year priced to move. so they jump on the forum price.

seriously, i moved two $1200-1500 guitars in the past month that way. normally a shit time of year to sell in the forums. ebay gives them a nudge.

OT the S2 guitars.
flat SE tops
scarf joint
thick poly finish.

:thumbsdown:
Last edited by gregs1020 at Dec 10, 2013,
Quote by gregs1020

Might be regional. My CL has CEs for $1200+ like the other guy said. Dumb prices, defeats the point of the CE.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by RBM01991
CE's are still at 12-1500 bucks for something alder bodied from the early 1990's. Custom 22's and 24's are still 15-1700 used. I love em but I simply can't spend that much on a used guitar. I'd rather have a Carvin but that's just me

Not really. www.guitarcenter.com/usedgear has them starting at $900ish
you can get a CU22/24 or a standard 22/24 for $1500ish like greg said
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
TGP is where I scored my MiM Nashville loaded body for $150.
Quote by Offworld92
Might be regional. My CL has CEs for $1200+ like the other guy said. Dumb prices, defeats the point of the CE.

oh mine does too. if you watch adhuntr.com for them when the occasional one pops up for less it sells pretty quick, usually within a week.
I'm gonna sound like a PRS snob but i find that the S2 series kind of tarnishes the PRS exclusivity/reputation.

You know, the PRS guitars are those gorgeous and magnificent guitars you want to have but can't afford and you tell yourself "one day i'll have a real one". The day you buy your first real PRS feels like heaven
The S2 have the PRS look but feel like glorified SE guitars, in my mind.

I'll have to test them though, and i'm sure they are of very high quality.
Gear:
PRS custom 24 (2000)
PodHD500x (cause i'm poor, upgrade soon)
Custom power amp
Homemade 2x12 (celestion V30 + G12H creamback)

HORSES BLEW FIRE (My band)
I tried a S2 C24 at my local shop and I loved it, blew away any LP Standard I've tried, maybe I just got a great playing one but it was awesome
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Seagull S6
Laney Lionheart L5T

and a bunch pedals...
I think folks are getting caught up on the spec sheet. They sound pretty darn good and play better.
Quote by JustRooster
I think folks are getting caught up on the spec sheet. They sound pretty darn good and play better.

The flat top kills it for me. and at that price point all the hardware should be made in USA. Besides the CE22/24 line are better and cheaper second hand

Yes they were decent playing and sounding guitars, but they are a little over priced IMO and I love PRS
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate