Page 1 of 2
What are some of your hobbies that challenge you intellectually?
On a day-to-day basis I feel like I'm not stimulated enough and I'd like to know what some of your hobbies are.
I like to read on astrophysics and such, but I'm looking for something else.
Listening to and writing moosics

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
cup and ball on a string
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
music is a pretty intelectually challenging hobby

i also do woodworking and at one point building electronics was a hobby now its my major...so yeah

reading anythign really try reading some ol philosophy stuff makes you think about stuff
puzzles too

vidia games not as intelectual depending on what gme but still plenty of fun(becomes more intelectual when you attempt to make your own)
Programming.
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
Quote by muffinduck01
Programming.

This

██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Music is intellectually challenging, or at least it is with me. Iv been listening to nothing but Mozart, Beethoven, Chopin, and Jason Becker lately. Analyzing it. Thinking about what is happening musicially. Why it souds good. Keeping track of themes and alterations of themes. All that fun stuff.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
Music is intellectually challenging, or at least it is with me. Iv been listening to nothing but Mozart, Beethoven, Chopin, and Jason Becker lately. Analyzing it. Thinking about what is happening musicially. Why it souds good. Keeping track of themes and alterations of themes. All that fun stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueZ6tvqhk8U

It's Beethoven. His name has three syllables.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Come on Jason Becker is amazing. His music takes me on a journey that is just as exciting as Mozart. Well i guess more like paganini, someone i nee to get into. The cool thing about becker is it is on the instrument i play best, but it sounds like something a violin or piano player would write. And he has god chops lol
I'm a resource person for a k-12 TAG program. The varying topics I have to learn faster than the kids keeps me more than stimulated and generally on the verge of a stroke.
Quote by seabear70
I'm a resource person for a k-12 TAG program. The varying topics I have to learn faster than the kids keeps me more than stimulated and generally on the verge of a stroke.

i thought you dove for dead bodies for a living
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
i thought you dove for dead bodies for a living

No, that's a, Hobby? I guess you'd call it. Regardless someone has to do it.

I run a small computer service company for a living.

One of my main clients is a K12 School, hence the connection to the TAG program.
I read a lot. I've started painting 40k models badly for fun.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by seabear70
No, that's a, Hobby? I guess you'd call it. Regardless someone has to do it.

Is that for the Police or Archaeology?
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

hey look everyone im a cultured white kid
Quote by Malchius
Is that for the Police or Archaeology?

It's a volunteer group.
Woodworking and chef-istry. I used to write, but I've kind of fallen out with it.
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Messiaen is Magical

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.
Quote by Rossenrot

If he was cultured he would listen to exclusively to Scarlatti played by his family's private harpsichordist. But he's obviously poor if he listens to that riffraff.
masturbating
Guitars:
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Jeff Loomis 7 string
Ibanez RG370DXGP2
Some cheap Cort Acoustic

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60

Effects:
Line 6 Pod HD500

Keyboard/Piano:
Yamaha YDP161 Arius Digital Piano
i have a mix of board games and rock climbing
seems pretty good.
now extra flamey
Rock climbing. Seriously, that will stimulate and challenge you mentally and physically. It is one of my favorite hobbies.
YELLOWFRIZBEE s FreezerBurn

Stepco's Master
|Colowomble 2016|PSN=yellowfrizbee| + UG Community Radio|
I recently got into mycology - growing mushrooms.
I'm already a grower when it comes to veggies and shit, but mushrooms require legit knowledge, patience and can be very rewarding in the long run; as opposed to plants that can sprout just about anywhere with some adequate amount of water.
It's pretty sweet imo, others laugh at me but f*** I'm the one munching on some super anti cancerous shroomies along with many other benefits.

I really want to start reading but all the reading I do is engineering-course related - so it leaves me unmotivated to do anymore. Regardless though, I don't know where to start, what interests me, what to look for ... My friend passed on his "Freakonomics" to me and I loved it. To anyone who hasn't read it yet, giv'r
Current Gear:
New York Pro - 5 String Beaut
Some tom delonge green strat my friend made
Boss GT-6
Eden DC210XLT Metro Bass Combo 500W (if anyone else has this model and has any insight about it, do pm me)
+1 Programming
+1 Rock Climbing

Both awesome. Also, if you really want a challenge, you should learn some math. Like abstract algebra and some number theory. And of course then you'd need to learn to write proofs. Its actually pretty cool.
Quote by Trowzaa
what specs is your pc? like how much ram?

Quote by Hydra150
[IMG]http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large-5/three-rams-steve-mckinzie.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by eGraham
3 ram, nice

Quote by Danjo's Guitar
+1 Programming
+1 Rock Climbing

Both awesome. Also, if you really want a challenge, you should learn some math. Like abstract algebra and some number theory. And of course then you'd need to learn to write proofs. Its actually pretty cool.

You make me wish I chose the math-ier path than the engineering path. +1 for studying math, used to be my hobby in high school
Current Gear:
New York Pro - 5 String Beaut
Some tom delonge green strat my friend made
Boss GT-6
Eden DC210XLT Metro Bass Combo 500W (if anyone else has this model and has any insight about it, do pm me)
Quote by dudester410
You make me wish I chose the math-ier path than the engineering path. +1 for studying math, used to be my hobby in high school

Thats sorta how I feel around my friends, except that I am actually a math major, haha. But they're always like "Yeah, I've been looking into Galois theory and number theory a lot the past week, and I decided I want to try to prove that pi+e is transcendental. Also, I found a really interesting analogy between Gödel's incompleteness theorem and computer science." And I'm just like "Yeah, I wish I knew that stuff. Did you get problem 3 on the homework?"
Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by Hydra150
[IMG]http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large-5/three-rams-steve-mckinzie.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by eGraham
3 ram, nice

Quote by Danjo's Guitar
+1 Programming
+1 Rock Climbing

I used to love math. Then I bombed a statistics course in first year university, and never took a math course again

The path not taken....
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
I used to love math. Then I bombed a statistics course in first year university, and never took a math course again

The path not taken....

To be fair real math is not that much like any of the math you probably took. I decided I wanted to be a math major because I loved calculus, but what I'm doing now is not like that at all. (Which is funny because one of the classes I'm taking right now is a proof based calculus, which you'd think would be similar.) I still enjoy it though.
Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by Hydra150

Quote by eGraham
3 ram, nice

Quote by Rossenrot

He is very very cultured indeed...

...at making me cringe.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Danjo's Guitar
Thats sorta how I feel around my friends, except that I am actually a math major, haha. But they're always like "Yeah, I've been looking into Galois theory and number theory a lot the past week, and I decided I want to try to prove that pi+e is transcendental. Also, I found a really interesting analogy between Gödel's incompleteness theorem and computer science." And I'm just like "Yeah, I wish I knew that stuff. Did you get problem 3 on the homework?"

It sounds like your friends are doing the extra math on their own time, usually engineering majors learn just the practical parts of math.

I'm sure you can find plenty of courses from MIT online for free that you can go through to at least properly learn the math. Or just pick any course that they offer and go through it.
Page 1 of 2