I have an old Marshall Valvestate 8280 (a hybrid between one tube and solid-state). The clean channel has gone completely silent and it may be in need of a new tube.

But with this opportunity for a potential upgrade I was wondering if buying a new/separate tube amp head (still sticking with marshall) while using the speakers on my existing combo amp would make it a true tube amp? ((Yes, I amp clueless, I thought I made this clear))... Are tube amps THAT better?

Or should I just bank on it being a bad tube and repair it because a new head wouldn't even be an upgrade from a non-tube head?
Yes you can use the speaker from your marshall combo. unplug the speaker and make sure the amp is set to the correct ohms. Then plug the speaker jack into the tube head.

DO NOT RUN THE TUBE AMP THROUGH THE COMBO IN ANY WAY AT ALL OR YOU WILL DAMAGE BOTH AMPS

Jet City JCA22h is great or Krank Jr series heads are $399 new right now at their site www.krankamps.com I have a 1980 Jr and I can not say enough good about it
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Yes you can use the speaker from your marshall combo. unplug the speaker and make sure the amp is set to the correct ohms. Then plug the speaker jack into the tube head.

DO NOT RUN THE TUBE AMP THROUGH THE COMBO IN ANY WAY AT ALL OR YOU WILL DAMAGE BOTH AMPS

Jet City JCA22h is great or Krank Jr series heads are $399 new right now at their site www.krankamps.com I have a 1980 Jr and I can not say enough good about it

1) Correct OHMS?
2) What does "run through the combo in anyway" mean? I would just hook the new amp through the speakers on the combo
Quote by Matt_Hughes614
1) Correct OHMS?
2) What does "run through the combo in anyway" mean? I would just hook the new amp through the speakers on the combo

Ohms is what the impedance of the speaker is. The tube amp will have to be set accordingly or you will ruin it. 4 Ohms, 8 Ohms or 16 Ohms are what most are

Do not connect the new tube amp to any inputs on the Marshall combo. Only directly to the speaker.
Is the speaker attached to the Marshall amp with a speaker jack?If not you will need to make one
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Dec 9, 2013,
IIRC the tube on a valvestate is only engaged on the second channel so the tube isn't the problem.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
use one of these to connect the speaker to the new head

http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Waves-Male-Spade-Replacement/dp/B001PGXKG4

Quote by Matt_Hughes614
I have an old Marshall Valvestate 8280 (a hybrid between one tube and solid-state). The clean channel has gone completely silent and it may be in need of a new tube.

possibly. anything in particular make you think it is the tube?

Quote by Matt_Hughes614
But with this opportunity for a potential upgrade I was wondering if buying a new/separate tube amp head (still sticking with marshall) while using the speakers on my existing combo amp would make it a true tube amp?

the speakers don't really have anything to do with making sure an amp is 'all-tube'. 'all-tube' is more of a marketing catch-phrase than it is a real thing anyway.

the speakers on those amps aren't all that great though.

Quote by Matt_Hughes614
((Yes, I amp clueless, I thought I made this clear))... Are tube amps THAT better?

they can be i guess. people praise tube amps pretty blindly imo, many tube amps will sound pretty good against the crappy SS practice they are compared to.

i own a couple solid state amps that i prefer the tone of over certain tube amps i have owned.

i think many people like you 8280 VS though, it has a bit of a cult following.

Quote by Matt_Hughes614
Or should I just bank on it being a bad tube and repair it because a new head wouldn't even be an upgrade from a non-tube head?

if you are willing to risk ~15 bucks on a 12AX7 to switch out on the amp then i'd say it's worth it. no guarantee that is the problem though.

edit:^oh, didn't see he was only have problems on the clean channel
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Dec 9, 2013,
Okay. I'm going to replace the tube and see if it works.

- Any advice on replacing them? anything i should know about? (i wont be offended if you say something super obvious, i will probably learn something?

- i play a LOT (3 hours a day or so) and usually pretty loud. i bought the amp and have never replaced the tube. can i feel confident that this is the issue?
Quote by Matt_Hughes614
Okay. I'm going to replace the tube and see if it works.

- Any advice on replacing them? anything i should know about? (i wont be offended if you say something super obvious, i will probably learn something?

- i play a LOT (3 hours a day or so) and usually pretty loud. i bought the amp and have never replaced the tube. can i feel confident that this is the issue?

The tube is only working with the crunch channel. If the clean channel has an issue, the tube can not be the problem.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Cathbard
IIRC the tube on a valvestate is only engaged on the second channel so the tube isn't the problem.

Quote by Robbgnarly
The tube is only working with the crunch channel. If the clean channel has an issue, the tube can not be the problem.

So the tube isn't the problem, and the IIRC (whatever that means) isn't the problem. Any idea what i should look at in particular then?

**Thank you everybody for the info so far, by the way.
http://music-electronics-forum.com/t14160/

Maybe this will spark some thought. I don't know what any of this means really though. So if anybody would like to translate a solution for dummies, it could help.

_____ ________ ________ ________

Quote by Robbgnarly

The crunch channel/effect doesnt work, the distortion does though.

Clean/Crunch: No Sound
Distortion: Perfectly normal
Chorus: Only works with distortion
Last edited by Matt_Hughes614 at Dec 9, 2013,
IIRC = If I remember correctly
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
IIRC = If I remember correctly

Whoops haha. Explains why it didn't ring a bell with my limited amp knowledge.

So it's a no-go on changing the tube?
It won't help. Your fault is undiagnosable without pulling it apart and doing the whole tech thing. It will almost certainly cost more in labor than the amp is worth. Sorry.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification