Seriously, this amplifier can not be real, it sounds pretty sweet. Considering it's less than a Vypr at a decent wattage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaxesJLSI3k

Anyone tried them, they're like £70 from Dawsons. I'm tempted but it's more of a non metal vibe. I might get confused why it doesn't have much gain.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Hit it with a TS and your in 80's metal territory
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Hit it with a TS and your in 80's metal territory

I am so going to try this after Christmas.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Tiny tube amps are getting cheaper and cheaper, it's not surprising they've come out with what looks like a hotrodded Valve Junior for slightly more than the VJr cost five years ago when it was new. Good for these guys for being early on the market with a cheap, small amp with some gain, but I don't think this is "can't be real" territory.

Can't say I thought it sounded good
I'll just copy and paste what i posted in another thread about these:

Quote by Dave_Mc
I haven't tried the redwood, but they came up on the fretboard forum (basically it's the musicradar forum since it went defunct). There's a guy there who's an amp tech who knows what he's talking about and he was saying he couldn't see how they could make a decent amp for that kind of money.

If anyone cares I'm sure I can find the original thread on the fretboard for you.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Judging from the video only, I'd say a blackheart BH5 sounds a whole lot better, though this little boy has a gain control which often is a big up.

It seems to me more like a pocket toy to play with at home when you don't have your big amp, or as a support for a gig just in case.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
the other concern is whether it's actually all-tube or not. though it doesn't sound like it has a ton of gain so it may well be.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
the other concern is whether it's actually all-tube or not. though it doesn't sound like it has a ton of gain so it may well be.

Ship one to me as a Christmas present?

Or send it used with a £20 value?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
I don't think anyones tried them apart from the dude in the video aha but yeahh i'm thinking of getting one too, great for the price

Epiphone Wilshire
Orange Rocker 30
Harley Benton 212 (w/Greenbacks)
Ernie Ball Vp jr
Swollen Pickle fuzz
Maxon OD808
Danelectro Vibe
Line 6 Tap Tremolo
Line 6 Verbzilla
EH Memory Man Hazarai
Boss RC20XL

Last.fm
Check out my band haze
I'd throw the money at it, less than 100GBP for a JCM-ish amp. OK
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Arby911
Ship one to me as a Christmas present?

Or send it used with a £20 value?

hehe

the stepdown transformer might cost you more than the amp

Quote by Robbgnarly
I'd throw the money at it, less than 100GBP for a JCM-ish amp. OK

to be honest that's kinda what i thought before that fretboard forum thread put a bit of a dampener on it. and as they said, they had sorta dialled in the marshall to sound like the redwood, not the other way round. which is kind of concerning. you can make a yugo seem a lot closer to a porsche if you do the course first in the yugo and try to duplicate the yugo's run in the porsche

it has that slightly honky tone that my VJ has that i wouldn't be that fond of, too. EDIT: the gain channel didn't actually sound too bad, though. I preferred the tone of it to the clean channel cranked up

admittedly for what it costs that's probably not the end of the world. but i already have a couple of cheapos and don't need any more
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Dec 10, 2013,
The Valve Junior was massively popular for a couple of years, and now they don't even make them any more. Blackheart staked most of their business on their 1- and 5-Watt heads and they came and went within 5 years, despite being owned by the same company that owns Ampeg and Crate and having a very aggressive ad campaign. Blackstar had a similar run out of the gate with the HT-1 and HT-5 but their popularity seems to have cooled off significantly too.
Very few of these "5 watt Miracles" are actually impressive once you get past the price, and beyond an initial surge of curiosity and "I've bought crappy pedals for less" sales, they don't seem to have much staying power.

In the long run they don't actually sound great and do you really need a "just ok" sounding 5 watt amp sitting around, no matter what it cost? If you're just starting out, do you really want to buy a $120 amp and still need a cab, or can you just go for that $120 Vypyr? Maybe it doesn't sound quite as good but neither of them are top of the line anyway and the Vypyr at least has a lot of models and effects you can experiment with. Then when you're ready for a "real" amp, are you looking at the $120 head that acts like a cheap SS amp anyway once you get past 2 o'clock on the volume, or are you looking at that $250 firebreather from Randall or the $500 monster from Bugera?

Perhaps you heard something I didn't, or perhaps I'm being too picky, or just don't like the recording. But I can't help but think that "Seriously, this can't be real" is exactly what the marketing team wants you to be saying, and that maybe we'll be having a less enthusiastic conversation in a year or two after the hype has died down and realize it was just another 5W amp built as cheaply as possible, with a few more features than the one we were going nuts over last year.
All I hear is guitar strings and mic distortion.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
At the price I've gotta be concerned with the reliability of the amp... But I can't deny that it sounds good!
I wouldn't expect much. A decent output transformer costs more than that. However, as a starting point from which to mod with better quality components (tranformers, capacitors, pots, etc) they are probably a fine thing.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I was gonna say, I do wonder how easy they are to mod.

Not get like 6505 gain from it, but a bit more punch would be nice
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Quote by Dave_Mc
hehe

the stepdown transformer might cost you more than the amp

I have 220 available. I'm semi serious, at least maybe after the new year some time, assuming I haven't pissed you off too bad?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
To me it sounds exactly like what it is, way better than a MG but not as a good as a JCM 900. If you're into bluesy rock and the like then I'm sure this amp is fine, even for gigging, but it's nothing too special (other than its price).
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
Quote by Roc8995
The Valve Junior was massively popular for a couple of years, and now they don't even make them any more. Blackheart staked most of their business on their 1- and 5-Watt heads and they came and went within 5 years, despite being owned by the same company that owns Ampeg and Crate and having a very aggressive ad campaign. Blackstar had a similar run out of the gate with the HT-1 and HT-5 but their popularity seems to have cooled off significantly too.
Very few of these "5 watt Miracles" are actually impressive once you get past the price, and beyond an initial surge of curiosity and "I've bought crappy pedals for less" sales, they don't seem to have much staying power.

In the long run they don't actually sound great and do you really need a "just ok" sounding 5 watt amp sitting around, no matter what it cost? If you're just starting out, do you really want to buy a $120 amp and still need a cab, or can you just go for that $120 Vypyr? Maybe it doesn't sound quite as good but neither of them are top of the line anyway and the Vypyr at least has a lot of models and effects you can experiment with. Then when you're ready for a "real" amp, are you looking at the $120 head that acts like a cheap SS amp anyway once you get past 2 o'clock on the volume, or are you looking at that $250 firebreather from Randall or the $500 monster from Bugera?

Perhaps you heard something I didn't, or perhaps I'm being too picky, or just don't like the recording. But I can't help but think that "Seriously, this can't be real" is exactly what the marketing team wants you to be saying, and that maybe we'll be having a less enthusiastic conversation in a year or two after the hype has died down and realize it was just another 5W amp built as cheaply as possible, with a few more features than the one we were going nuts over last year.

+1 (and I like the little 5 watters, for what they are).

To me they're good if you already have some idea about amps and know those little amps' limitations, and already have a few pedals and cabinets to play with. Or if you want a different tone from your bigger amps and/or the ability to get some power tube distortion at loud-but-not-crazy loud levels.

For a beginner, not so much.

Quote by Arby911
I have 220 available. I'm semi serious, at least maybe after the new year some time, assuming I haven't pissed you off too bad?

Don't worry about that.

I just don't think it'd be economical- I'm sure I've checked Dawsons before and they charged extra postage to Northern Ireland. And postage from the UK to anywhere outside the UK is crazy expensive (my sister has a friend in germany, more than once the postage cost more than the present inside it And it's a lot cheaper to send to germany than the USA).

I'm not sure it'd be economical anyway- your best bet would be to find someone on here who's in england/scotland/wales, that way at least you wouldn't be paying the premium on postage to NI. Or better yet, see if dawsons ships worldwide, at least that way you'd only be paying postage once and if you're lucky they might subsidise postage.

But don't hold your breath even if Dawsons does subsidise it, as I said, postage costs here (especially international ones) are ridiculous. I'm used to them and I can barely believe them most of the time, I can only imagine what non-UKers think of them. For example, Thomann will ship to me from Germany for less than most shops in England will ship to me. I'm sure that's subsidised, but still, far as i'm aware the costs are lopsided.

Actually your best bet would likely be to keep an eye out locally, with your bigger chain stores etc.. I doubt dawsons is the only shop with that amp, it may well be a rebrand (I know gear4music here did a similar thing with belcat), as far as I'm aware dawsons isn't that big. I'm not sure it's big enough to get its own amp designed (but I could well be wrong on that).

EDIT: they seem to ship internationally, but the usual "not all brands" thing applies. I would guess their own brand would be exempt from that, but you never know.

The other thing I just remembered as well is that if you're outside the EU, you shouldn't have to pay 20% VAT. That'd save you ~£12. That'd be another advantage to just ordering it yourself frome them- they might not use the absolute cheapest carrier but that £12 is going to help, at least.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Dec 11, 2013,
Quote by Dave_Mc
+1 (and I like the little 5 watters, for what they are).

To me they're good if you already have some idea about amps and know those little amps' limitations, and already have a few pedals and cabinets to play with. Or if you want a different tone from your bigger amps and/or the ability to get some power tube distortion at loud-but-not-crazy loud levels.

For a beginner, not so much.

I bought a 5w amp because I wanted something to play with until I'll get THE amp, which costs about 15 times what I got.
Was it that bad of an idea?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I mean, it's your choice. The point isn't that these amps are awful and nobody should buy them. If it fits your needs, it's a good amp for you.
^ agreed.

just you need to watch you don't end up throwing enough money at them that'd just buy you a better out-of-the-box amp.

but yeah i mean i'm not saying they're a bad idea in all cases. just they're kinda advertised wrongly, if you ask me. they're always advertised as "power tube distortion at bedroom levels", and that's a crock of shit (cathbard's bedroom, maybe ). my own ears can't stick how loud they get in a small enclosed room, let alone worrying about neighbours or other people in the house.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I actually think the Vjr Head is the way to go with a 5 watt amp. The clean headroom is as good as you can expect and they are cheap. You'll get the major tone from your pedals and the Vjr will do a good job of making them sound as decent as your cab will allow. I can imagine that they come and go because the economic returns on such cheap amps is probably always less than predicted.
I'm not sure. they're a pretty nice pedal platform, but without pedals they sound mediocre at best (IMO, obviously)- pretty dark and a bit honky.

That's based on the V2, though- the V3 supposedly fixed a number of the earlier versions' problems.

Something like the vht special 6 sounds better out of the box, but maybe doesn't take pedals just as well (at least without a speaker swap).

It just depends on what you want, really. As usual
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?