the highs and mids are really fuzzy and harsh sounding.
i actually changed the cab to an oversize mesa can with v-30s that helped
i got a ts9 kinda helped

when i record on my phone is sounds good but in person the harshness bothers me.
i don't want to sell the amp because i do like but i have to tame the harshness.

Maybe an eq pedal?

i have played with the eq and channels on the amp a billion time and still cant get rid of the highs. My guitar is an jackson rr1 with a dimarzio evo 2 in the bridge.

let me know please and thank you.
6505's are a fizzy amp to begin with, no surprise there. And the Evo 2 is a pretty forward sounding pickup. An EQ pedal is a good place to start though. You might try rolling some preamp tubes through it, JJ's should help with the fizz and brightness to an extent.

EDIT: The sheffields that come in the 5150 cabs aren't highly regarded either, and V30's have a prominent mid spike that you may not be liking as well. That's a pretty common rig... 6505 with V30's.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Dec 9, 2013,
Have you tried changing preamp tubes yet?
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
6505's have 6 preamp tubes right? That comes to like $60. That may or may not help you out though, so I'll allow a 6505 owner to chime in. If you wanna go with an EQ pedal, Dan'o Fish N' Chips is only $30 and kicks ass.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
Tubes will be a more subtle change, while an EQ pedal can be a big change.

For tubes, I was recommended a 5751 for the V1 slot and a 12AT7 for the phase inverter slot. I did that and really like my tone. It's still pretty harsh, but that's what 6505's are.

If you want to try changing tubes here is what I recommend (I use JJ Tubes):
V1 - 12AT7 or 5751
V2, V3, V5 - 12AX7
V4 - 12AT7

As far as where those tubes are located, looking at the back of the amp it should be like this:
{Power Tubes} {V4} {V3} {V5} {V2} {V1}

I would suggest picking up a couple 12AT7's and/or a 5751 and trying them where I suggested because that is a relatively inexpensive (albeit subtle) tone adjustment.

If you go for an EQ pedal, I like to use my MXR 10 band to cut the 16khz frequency almost all the way and the 8khz about halfway.

Remember though, standing right in front of your cab will still sound pretty harsh. When micing for recording or playing through a PA, the tone will be much more like what you hear on recordings with proper mic placement.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
Quote by Tremolo Bum

For tubes, I was recommended a 5751 for the V1 slot and a 12AT7 for the phase inverter slot. I did that and really like my tone. It's still pretty harsh, but that's what 6505's are.

V1 - 12AT7 or 5751
V2, V3, V5 - 12AX7
V4 - 12AT7

As far as where those tubes are located, looking at the back of the amp it should be like this:

I would suggest picking up a couple 12AT7's and/or a 5751 and trying them where I suggested because that is a relatively inexpensive (albeit subtle) tone adjustment.

If you go for an EQ pedal, I like to use my MXR 10 band to cut the 16khz frequency almost all the way and the 8khz about halfway.

Remember though, standing right in front of your cab will still sound pretty harsh. When micing for recording or playing through a PA, the tone will be much more like what you hear on recordings with proper mic placement.
ill look into this thanks. Would it be worth investing into some rack stuff? Also I want really smooth out the tone if possible
Last edited by IhaveAnAlexi600 at Dec 10, 2013,
Quote by Tremolo Bum

V1 - 12AT7 or 5751
V2, V3, V5 - 12AX7
V4 - 12AT7

Everything here. Especially the part I bolded. I do the exact same thing with my MXR 10-band EQ to eliminate upper-register fizz. I've also done those tube changes. By FAR, the MXR 10-band was the most effective at getting rid of the fizz. The tubes are just the icing on the cake...
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Your guitar is part of the problem too, that bridge pup specifically. Try playing with the neck pickup and/or rolling off the tone knob, might save you from buying an eq pedal. But the eq pedal will help you more, good luck!
in terms of tubes, I've heard that ECC803s do a good job instead of, or in conjunction with a 5751

Also, my question to you guys (sorry to hijack, but it's on topic) What is the Dano fish&Chips like in comparison to the MXR10 when it comes to getting rid of fizz? My main concern is that the Dano only comes up to 6k, where as the 10 goes to 16k.
How are you running the TS9? Running it right makes a massive difference.

Throw JJs in the preamp, at least an ECC803 in V1 and an ECC83 in V2 & V3. They don't make a huge difference tonally, no, but they're still important to have fresh as they affect the noise floor and the liveliness of the amp.

After that get an EQ in the loop. EQs are total game changers. The MXR 10 Band is the industry standard. If you want to save money and don't mind losing versatility, the Danelectro Fish & Chips is an excellent value. The switch & housing isn't gig worthy, but for just around the house it's phenominal for the price. Quieter than the Boss 7 Band at less than 1/3 the price.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by ambler3
in terms of tubes, I've heard that ECC803s do a good job instead of, or in conjunction with a 5751

Also, my question to you guys (sorry to hijack, but it's on topic) What is the Dano fish&Chips like in comparison to the MXR10 when it comes to getting rid of fizz? My main concern is that the Dano only comes up to 6k, where as the 10 goes to 16k.

For dealing with fizz, I don't think the Danelectro would cut it (pun intended ).

Most of the fizz on a 6505 is in the 16k range. That's the slider on my MXR that gets cut the most. I do a mild cut on the 8kz slider, but any lower than that, you're getting into the frequencies that help cut through a mix and make the guitar sound more full. I actually BOOST my 2kz slider a bit to get more "grind."

That said, I'm sure the Fish and Chips would give you control over a lot of the other aspects of your tone -- I just don't think it would be ideal for taming upper-register fizz.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by KailM
For dealing with fizz, I don't think the Danelectro would cut it (pun intended ).

Most of the fizz on a 6505 is in the 16k range. That's the slider on my MXR that gets cut the most. I do a mild cut on the 8kz slider, but any lower than that, you're getting into the frequencies that help cut through a mix and make the guitar sound more full. I actually BOOST my 2kz slider a bit to get more "grind."

That said, I'm sure the Fish and Chips would give you control over a lot of the other aspects of your tone -- I just don't think it would be ideal for taming upper-register fizz.

Hmm, sounds like I should just go the extra mile and pick up an MXR, if anything just because of the quality of construction
I mean aside from the 16k, it also has more low-mid controls than the Danelectro. The size of it is a lil bit daunting though, considering I have a small pedalboard plus I couldn't chain it, as it needs an 18V PSU
Putting a Tubescreamer into the mix and dropping the preamp gain a few notches helps clean up the harshness of the gain a lot, I just tested this recently, Noise Suppresor, EQ, Tubescreamer, pretty much the fundamentals for a 6505, just go into a shop and play around with these 3 things, you should be able to sort out a tone you like.
Tung Sol RI in V1
JJ EC 83 and/or EC 803 in the rest of the gain stages