I've been invited to jam at a holiday party. There, that is one reason for this post, but probably not the most important one. I thought I could hang for one or two songs, simple solos, classic rock chords, your mellow "few drinks" office party at a hall.

If I haven't mentioned it before, I had a cerebellar hematoma and lost the use of my right side. It's almost been 2 years and my checkup today went very well. I still don't have full control of my fretting hand (I'm a lefty) and some days I can play good enough, and days like today I can't play for JACK...my percussionist buddy is named Jack and he would probably cry, too.

Anyway, I plugged my little Randall 25w into my 2x15 Dual Showman cab to test my home-made and modded Bluesbreaker pedal on a rechargeable 9v. I only had the pre up to about 9 o'clock and the post to 12 in a 9x11 bedroom, I moved out to the hallway, and I think the volume was actually messing me up. And then I turned the OD on...

I might have to be drugged-up like a rockstar to do this party. I don't drink, and I play pretty bad on painkillers. I have doubts about my endurance of pain AND performing. I've been to quite a few concerts since the injury - Rob Zombie, The Killers, some local bands to name a few. I used to play loud and wanted it LOUDER. I've done car, Pro DJ, and home audio (acoustical engineering, cabinet and horn building). I think I can hear different tones and frequencies better as I go deaf.

Should I practice really loud so I can get it? My neighbors will love it! Is this a symptom of getting old? I'm not even 40 yet. How do the "old guys" do it? I'm having anxiety, not about performing, but maybe not being able to? I don't even know what I'm asking...

Get some good, flat frequency response earplugs. You'll be fine, stop worrying.
It's the vibrations in my SKULL that hurt, not my eardrums.

The brain can't feel, I'm told... :duh:
I think I'd be talking to my doctor....

Just sayin... I'm damn near 50 and loud doesn't affect me like that.. so it's not age..
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Thanks for the confidence, Papabear!

Doctor: What did the neurologist say?
Me: "Here, try these pills."
Doctor: I'll give you more painkillers just in case.

I've been thinking about just doin' what I can, like I've been doing. The hall should be big enough to disperse waves and has some sound deadening. I might be able to handle the noise if the drummer isn't playing like Animal. Bass shouldn't be a problem - I've experimented with subsonic to midbass test tones at 300 watts in my small car and 1200 watts in my Jeep to test a theory that pain will cancel pain out...at least for a while, sort of like a loud massage. I made it part of my therapy. My skull resonance frequency is somewhere between 29-33Hz, and I have a huge problem with vacuum cleaners, leafblowers, and those farty Honduh cars. I've already made it clear if I can't handle it I won't play.

I do want to get up onstage and make everybody laugh at my Marty McFly impression.

Oh, and BTW - painkillers can make you oversensitive to pain. So don't do drugs, kids. I still don't see how people get high off this stuff...
Last edited by 1152 at Dec 12, 2013,
get a baffle, trust me. even if you just made a cardboard one, it works wonders in making your tone more consistent, and you don't get blasted with sound because the baffle diverts the sound upwards. that should probably be enough for your size of amp and the volumes you are using. i use bigger amps, and non master volume tube ones as well. i have to crank mine up in order to get any gain, and my lead amp is 100w cranked to full, so i still wear ear plugs usually or i'll play in the hall while the amp stays in the room :P

i think you should play loud every now and then to get used to playing at those levels. it does *feel* different. i find the baffle helps with this too. sometimes you can be too hesitant to really dig in because all your mistakes are now amplified a lot more as well as the good stuff. for some reason i lose some of this hesitation with the baffle. the baffle also helps even out the tone so you can move around the amp and the tone stays the same. you also don't get as much treble blasted at you. i find the treble frequencies are the ones that hurt your ears the most and they are usually the ones you start losing hearing for as you age.
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
get a baffle, trust me. even if you just made a cardboard one, it works wonders in making your tone more consistent, and you don't get blasted with sound because the baffle diverts the sound upwards. that should probably be enough for your size of amp and the volumes you are using. i use bigger amps, and non master volume tube ones as well. i have to crank mine up in order to get any gain, and my lead amp is 100w cranked to full, so i still wear ear plugs usually or i'll play in the hall while the amp stays in the room :P

i think you should play loud every now and then to get used to playing at those levels. it does *feel* different. i find the baffle helps with this too. sometimes you can be too hesitant to really dig in because all your mistakes are now amplified a lot more as well as the good stuff. for some reason i lose some of this hesitation with the baffle. the baffle also helps even out the tone so you can move around the amp and the tone stays the same. you also don't get as much treble blasted at you. i find the treble frequencies are the ones that hurt your ears the most and they are usually the ones you start losing hearing for as you age.

Thanks! Yes, the high frequencies do the most damage, even though it takes more wattage to produce bass frequencies at the same volume level. More waves, faster vibration, eardrums get pounded more. I already made shims to angle my cabinet, but I didn't even think of using a baffle. I was thinking more about "hiding," standing in a neutral or a less compromised spot on stage. Got any pics of how you did your baffle?

I haven't had a chance to do a soundcheck, but I might just get by with micing my GDEC 3-30. The hall has a decent PA and if the party changes to the ballroom there is an overkill JBL system with wireless. Don't really feel like loading/unloading the big cab and head for a couple of songs. The setlist hasn't been finalized, but the selections are pretty tame, nothing heavy, mostly cleans. I think I'll get more of a headache dealing with drunks.

"HEY! Play Freebird!!! *hic*"

"I got a free bird for you right here..."