This is probably going to make me look pretty ignorant, but are screams or unclean vocals, whatever the technical term is, supposed to be in key? Like do vocalists like Ronnie from born of osiris hit notes in key? or are screams just purely rhythmic?
Usually it works in a percussive fashion. You can clearly hear the some screams are higher or lower, but you can't make definitive pitches, like with many other percussive musical sounds.

It is however possible to sing and scream at the same time, though I can't think of any examples right now.
I don't know about screams, but unclean vocals are generally still heard as notes.

This songs has growls but they are definitely still in key.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xrt5234jxy8
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
When it's pure screaming/growling that isn't supposed to have a melody, most metal vocalists do not consider the pitch. I remember some old interview with Matt Heafy from Trivium where he was asked this and said he had no idea whether he was on key or what notes he was hitting.
Thanks for the replies guys. And when I said unclean vocals I meant just screams, I just wasn't sure if screams were the correct term. I'm talking about screams like in deathcore and metalcore music, some examples would be Ronnie from born of osiris like i said, Mitch Lucker from suicide silence, or CJ from thy art is murder. So would it be ok for the vocalist of my band to just come up with a rhythm for his screams without worrying about hitting notes in key, or would that be unprofessional and sound off from the rest of the song?
Quote by FifthThirdBank
Thanks for the replies guys. And when I said unclean vocals I meant just screams, I just wasn't sure if screams were the correct term. I'm talking about screams like in deathcore and metalcore music, some examples would be Ronnie from born of osiris like i said, Mitch Lucker from suicide silence, or CJ from thy art is murder. So would it be ok for the vocalist of my band to just come up with a rhythm for his screams without worrying about hitting notes in key, or would that be unprofessional and sound off from the rest of the song?

For these types of screaming bands (well, most screaming bands), keys and notes are not a factor.

Think of it this way. Listen to any of those bands scream. Now trying to imagine their 'melody' played on a guitar or a piano or even just being sung. It can't be done. So, the same way the drummer isn't thinking about keys and notes, a screaming vocalist shouldn't be thinking about it either (unless it's one of those singy screams we've mentioned). Not that a screamer shouldn't consider when he thinks he should fall into a certain range, but he certainly shouldn't be thinking "I'm going to scream an A#."
Quote by fanapathy
When it's pure screaming/growling that isn't supposed to have a melody, most metal vocalists do not consider the pitch. I remember some old interview with Matt Heafy from Trivium where he was asked this and said he had no idea whether he was on key or what notes he was hitting.

Ok that's good to hear haha
Quote by Macabre_Turtle
For these types of screaming bands (well, most screaming bands), keys and notes are not a factor.

Think of it this way. Listen to any of those bands scream. Now trying to imagine their 'melody' played on a guitar or a piano or even just being sung. It can't be done. So, the same way the drummer isn't thinking about keys and notes, a screaming vocalist shouldn't be thinking about it either (unless it's one of those singy screams we've mentioned). Not that a screamer shouldn't consider when he thinks he should fall into a certain range, but he certainly shouldn't be thinking "I'm going to scream an A#."

Well I know you can hit specific notes with screams, like some vocalists warm up by screaming each step of a scale, I just wasn't sure if it was unprofessional to disregard hitting notes in a song
Quote by FifthThirdBank
Well I know you can hit specific notes with screams, like some vocalists warm up by screaming each step of a scale, I just wasn't sure if it was unprofessional to disregard hitting notes in a song

Consider what I said about imaging the 'melody' as being played on a guitar or piano instead. If it can be done, then there are pitches to the screams. If it can't, which is the majority of cases, then there are no discernible pitches.

Good luck.

Quote by Macabre_Turtle

So, the same way the drummer isn't thinking about keys and notes, a screaming vocalist shouldn't be thinking about it either (unless it's one of those singy screams we've mentioned).

Well I'd like to point out that in professional recording/playing situations it's actually quite important for the drums to be in tune, that's what drum keys are for. It's not something people really think much of, but there are some situations where the drums are incredibly out of tune and you can really tell because the drums just don't fit.
Quote by Br0c00ler
Well I'd like to point out that in professional recording/playing situations it's actually quite important for the drums to be in tune, that's what drum keys are for. It's not something people really think much of, but there are some situations where the drums are incredibly out of tune and you can really tell because the drums just don't fit.

I am aware that drums are tuned, but the drummer certainly isn't thinking to himself, "this progression is in the key of C, so I better avoid this tom that plays a Bb pitch, unless of course it borrows the vii chord of C minor, blahblahblah...."
Quote by Macabre_Turtle
I am aware that drums are tuned, but the drummer certainly isn't thinking to himself, "this progression is in the key of C, so I better avoid this tom that plays a Bb pitch, unless of course it borrows the vii chord of C minor, blahblahblah...."

I agree, I just wanted to add that bit though, since it seemed on-topic
Quote by Br0c00ler
I agree, I just wanted to add that bit though, since it seemed on-topic

Fair enough.
They CAN be, but mostly aren't. Here are two examples of those in key, and I should mention, I prefer those that are.

chorus at 1:16

chorus at 1:02

the verse is a duet of light growling and clean singing
Last edited by Aralingh at Dec 10, 2013,
This is pretty simple actually.
What is screaming?
Basically it's the same as singing, but with a distorted overlay. You can hear that singers like Russell Allen can both do very distorted screams, but also sing standard notes with moderate distortion using the same technique.
This means that whenever you scream you produce a note like you would with singing.
And here comes the BUT part:
It is possible to apply so much distortion that the note is almost impossible to identify, and in such cases it won't matter if it's in key since nobody can really hear the note, what is being produced is basically just "noise" like static on a tv.
However, most of the time with the use of moderate screaming they will sound just as bad as normal singing if not in key