New player here.

Real new....as in just got my new guitar home from the music store yesterday.

I spent four hours playing with it and getting a feel for things. By the end of "session" I'd worked my way up to a level of competence on Iron Man & Rock You Like a Hurricane that was making my dogs cringe. I think the neighbors dogs were howling.

Noise, sweet noise. Big grin the whole time.

One glaring discovery.....aside from my total lack of skill....is my guitar strap. It's a $5 nylon Ernie Ball strap. My neck is not as happy as my fingers are.

I want a real deal, no kidding, proper guitar strap. The nylon job can be stashed in my gig bag if ever needed.

I'm wide open for suggestions.

I've seen models that secure nicely to the guitar and wondered if that's what I should look for.

I'd rather not have to modify the existing buttons on either guitar.

I'm looking for comfort and security.

Budget is whatever I have to spend to get a high quality comfortable strap.

I'd love to know what you have found was best for you and why.
2014 Gibson SG Special
Peavey Classic 30
Squier Standard Stratocaster HSS
Fender CD60CE
Fender v2 Mustang III
Roland Micro Cube
MXR M75
Planet Waves locking straps are probably a good place to look. People seem to like them, and they have a very good rep of being secure.
Ones currently being delivered to me actually, so I hope they are decent.

EDIT: that's a solution that wouldn't require changing strap buttons. However I think it'd be a good idea to get a set of locking strap buttons (schallers), as usually it seems stock strap buttons eventually come out of the body.
Last edited by ambler3 at Dec 10, 2013,
Leather strap and Schaller straplocks are the only way to fly.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard

+1

I have a decent 2.5" sued leather strap that is super cumfy and a 3" Italian garment leather strap that is amazing. The sued strap was <$30 the garment leather strap was $75.

I did have to have the small part of each strap remade because I like my guitars to be at waist level or a little below and the stock piece was just too short
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by ambler3
Planet Waves locking straps are probably a good place to look. People seem to like them, and they have a very good rep of being secure.
Ones currently being delivered to me actually, so I hope they are decent.

EDIT: that's a solution that wouldn't require changing strap buttons. However I think it'd be a good idea to get a set of locking strap buttons (schallers), as usually it seems stock strap buttons eventually come out of the body.

Thanks. I do like the simplicity of this and the fact that I can use my strap on other guitars with quick ease.

I wonder, however, if the strap itself is more comfortable than what I already have. I'm guessing that it'd almost have to be.

Quote by Cathbard

This may very well be the way I go, too. I looked these up on youtube. The installation isn't as involved as I first thought.

A 3" leather strap would be really nice.
2014 Gibson SG Special
Peavey Classic 30
Squier Standard Stratocaster HSS
Fender CD60CE
Fender v2 Mustang III
Roland Micro Cube
MXR M75
Quote by DubfromGA
Thanks. I do like the simplicity of this and the fact that I can use my strap on other guitars with quick ease.

I wonder, however, if the strap itself is more comfortable than what I already have. I'm guessing that it'd almost have to be.

I have a half-dozen of the Planet Waves lockers, and they are excellent! Quite soft, comfortable, secure and reasonably priced. I've never had one even hint at coming off, although let's note that I don't do guitar spins...

I also note that all of mine are patterned, I don't know if the plain ones are as comfortable/made of the same material.

I personally prefer them to straplocks at this point, although that's Blasphemy of the highest order to some.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Dec 10, 2013,
Burn your nylon straps (or atleast resort to one as spare only for new guitars you may get). Leather strap makes a huge difference.

Padded leather straps that I have tried do feel comfortable but they tend to be soft and do not offer much support much like nylon straps. So if you have bit neck heavy guitar, it stays neck heavy.

Wide, stiff unpadded leather strap helps keeping a neck heavy guitar up a bit thanks to added friction. Not as comfortable as padded but infinitely more comfortable than nylon.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Dec 10, 2013,
Quote by Cathbard

+1

Also make sure it's a padded leather strap.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Cath has pretty much nailed it on the head. Schallers and leather is exactly what you need. If I may, I would highly recommend Levy straps. www.levysleathers.com
My Name is Cameron.
Quote by Cathbard
For me, bedroom levels is a cranked plexi half stack.

Now get off my ****ing lawn.

Last edited by Maineguitarist at Dec 10, 2013,
I use nice suede leather strap on one neck heavy axe and keeps it up right with the friction and super comfy and soft. and a thick padded leather strap on a savagely heavy axe and again makes it super comfy. both on still on standard pins and neither have ever fallen off as they fit so tight around them.

Leather is the way!
I use a Levy's M7GG3 along with Dunlop straplocks. It's a 3" wide, 69" long garment leather strap (I'm kind of tall so I got an extra long one). It's very comfortable even with my 10lb+ Les Paul and seems like it's going to last forever. They run $55-$60 in the US.
"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect." -some dude
I use Dunlop D-38 straps exclusively. I have about 8 or 9 of them (and I only have 7 guitars right now!). They are thick and comfortable, and cheap. Some sort of poly material, no idea what exactly. Soft, but not shitty thin soft, they're fairly rigid. 2", because I hate the way 2.5" & 3" straps feel and look.

Those cheap thin straps will really cut into you, and that is a big fat no. These ones are just comfortable and have substance to them.

This is all subjective of course. You just gotta try some stuff out until you find something that works for you.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by flexiblemile
watch for easy strap locks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yvWZGBSNpk

Saw the same trick on Justins channel. "Buy a strap lock and get a free beer with it."

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3