Hi guy’s, i’m new to this forum but a loyal reader for the past years and now i need your advice..

I’m a guitar player in a metalcore band (think Parkway Drive, August Burns Red, Killswitch Engage, In Hearts Wake and As I lay dying) for two years now. (currently playing guitar over 8 year’s)

I currently own a backstar ht-5 which i use to play at home and record with and i’m pretty happy with my tone for the past 2 years or so (since i have the ht-5), my signal path is:

Guitar (Ibanez RG Prestige / RGA both with EMG 81 & 85’s > Tuner (True Bypass) > MXR GT-OD (808 clone) > HT -5 PreAmp > Noise Gate (NS-2) > Delay (DD3) > HT-5 PowerAmp. > 1x10 matching blackstar cab

i’m finally in the market for a new tube head. Due to my band having a lot more shows coming up i’m sick and tired of playing with modeling or solid state or borrowed amps.

The 5-watt HT-5 is no way keeping up with our ridiculously loud drummer. (I doubt even 50-watt’s will be loud enough for gigging, needing some clean headroom. what do you think?)

i’ve made a shortlist of amps below €800 euro’s which i’m currently interested in (www.thomman.de):

• Blackstar HT-100
  • Blackstar HT-50

• Jet City JCA-100
  • Jet City JCA-100 HDM
  • Jet City JCA-50

• Bugera 6260
  • Bugera 6262
  • Bugera TriRec

• Laney Ironheart 120

• Peavey 6505/5150 (used, pretty rare around here and i rather buy a new amp due to warranty and a shop who I can contact)

For traveling purposes i’m also interested in a 2x12 cab to match the head to. our other guitarist is currently using a Laney Ironheart 120 with the matching 2x12 which sounds pretty sweet but I prefer to differentiate our tones a little.

(both Amp & Cab will have a custom build road case for touring survivability, my father offered to build these for me he’s builds custom interiors & kitchens etc. so a few cases won’t be a problem.)

Which Tube Amps of this list would you guys recommend? (the 6505 being out of the league due to findability and price around here NL).

total budget for Amp + Cab is between €1000,- & €1200,-

Thanks in advance!
Either save up for a 6505+ or get a 6262 infinium (the infinium thing is important), and pair it with either an orange PPC212 or a mesa rectifier horizontal 2x12 if you have the money, or a harley benton g212 vintage you can get from thomann.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
For your genre, the JCAs and Blackstars may struggle to keep up (although the Blackstars may be alright, I don't ahve experience with the larger heads, and you could always through a pedal in front of it). The Bugeras come up a lot for the reliabiity issues, I certainly regret touring with mine as it broke twice. I would probably go with the Laney, I hear good things about them.
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
I think your best bet is saving up for the 6505+, either that or the Jet City. I am not a huge fan of Bugera or Blackstar, so that does leave me biased. I have heard a lot of mixed reviews on the Laney, never actually played one though. I believe that Parkway and ABR both use 6505's so that might make it more alluring seeing as how that is the tone you are after.
Not to mention, if you really want ________ then you won't be truly satisfied until you get __________. (This works for pretty much everything in life.)
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Allright, Three great replies,

Laney certainly is at the top of my list next to the Blackstar. Bugera 6262 infinium is second now since the peavey's are out of the budget and i don't have time to save up much longer.

the GT-OD is a kind of tubescreamer clone which i use to tighten up the OD channel and add some gain on my HT-5 preamp, never had problem to get enough gain just volume is a problem with the tiny HT-5.

i'm kinda shy about bugera's too because of the reliability issues you hear about a lot, is this better with the infinium models? anyone has experience with the 6262 infinium model?

6505/6505+ models kinda hard to get used around here and new their way over budget considering i'll also need a cab to pair it with

Love orange and mesa cab's but they are both quite expensive, remember i'll try to stay around €1000 for amp+cab with 1200 at absolute max.

The jim root version & open back ppc212 are a lot cheaper then the ppc212 closed back. can anyone explain why this is? does the tone justify the €190 difference?

The harley benton g212 Vintage has great value for money at first glance but what about the cab construction and overall tone? Anyone has any experience with these?

Thank you so much for the lightning fast replies! =D
Last edited by VCNT91B at Dec 10, 2013,
Where are you located? Might help with advise.

From what I hear the Infinium models are more reliable than the older amps but I still wouldnt trust them. But I do play through a Bugera V22 at home because I like the sound.

The harley bentons are great cabs, very durable for the price.

The orange cabs - open back uses less materials, the Jim root may have slighlty cheaper speakers? I haven't looked at the specs so that's just a guess.
Gear:

Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Don't get a Peavey 6505, instead look at getting an EVH 6505III 50W head. People seem to have better opinions of these compared to the 6505/6505+

They run within your budget new on thomann. They will definitely suit the tones you're looking for.

plus in my mind, the white heads look gorgeous
Last edited by ambler3 at Dec 10, 2013,
I don't think Orange is really what you want for the genre though they are awesome heads. Dark Terror is probably the best sounding out of the Terror line but it has that fuzzy tone. I personally love it but imagine a 5150 type tone is more what you want for the genre. You may not like open back either... open backs are designed more for awesome room-filling cleans IMO but that looseness doesnt work so well for metal where a tight controllable tone is probably preferable.

I'd probably go with a new Blackstar HT-50/100 and a used cab (maybe an Orange at 1/2 the price of new). A good quality cab isn't likely to ever need warranty work.
Great replies, thank you guys so much.

I'm located in the Netherlands, Europe,

The EVH's sound great indeed, got to play one last summer for 20min, shortest 20minutes of my life great amp! probably one of the best amp's i've ever played if i could afford it that time i'd probably bought it right there

Is 50watt trough 2x12 enough? / will it keep up with the 120w Ironheart (also 2x12) and our crazy loud drummer? I'm not concerned about FOH volume but on stage, in most venues we play FOH is good, but there isn't generally a good on-stage monitoring system.

I've always loved my HT-5 so the HT-50/100 sounds quite good to me, not the cheapest amps but also not the most expensive (6505/6506+). I will definitely give it a try. (A local shop is official Blackstar dealer sure they'll have em in).

I'll look into getting a used orange cab, i generally like their cab's and i think i can relate to the theory of a good quality cab ever needing warranty work.

Thanks again!
Did you even read the OP?

Edit: ^ That was to cGoEcYk.

If you think your rumemr will drown out a 50w on stage then I hope to god you're all wearing some kind of ear protection.

If youu love the HT-5 a cheaeper alternative may be to buy an extra 112 cab or something to place near you and use as a monitor?
Gear:

Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Last edited by ProphetToJables at Dec 10, 2013,
Check out the ENGL Fireball 60 or 100. Being from Europe I'm suprised ENGL amps aren't on your list if you play metal.

+1 for the Harley Benton 212 cab.
Laney Ironheart 60 may be your best bet. If I recall correctly Ironheart is exactly the amp Killswitch Engage uses. Nice cleans and br00tz and not particularly bad price. Since KE is one of the bands you listed the choice should be safe.

Also the new Randall Diavlo series (RD45 or RD100) with Mike Fortins magic pixie dust seem to be great bang for buck. Never heard one but everything I have read about them has been positive. And clips sound amazing. Not that you can judge an amp based on them but still...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHsUePS32PY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6TOfQZCowg

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Dec 10, 2013,
While his spelling may not be so spot on he is right. Headroom refers to the clean headroom amps have, often you'll find 20W amps are really loud. I mean at college we have a 5W amp that can keep up with a drummer when practicing, and just about small gigging.

It'll be loud as shit, trust me :p
Found some great resource concerning Amp power rating and matching the speakers, seems that as long as I get a speaker cab with a good sensitivity rating 50 watt's will be loud enough. Having the added (clean) headroom of a 100w will be nice to have on tap but for the two or tree clean parts we play a 50 watt head might indeed be more suitable for my purpose.

Thank you guys for all the help. I'm going to think a little about all i've learned today to make a good decision, probably somewhere early january
Quote by VCNT91B
Found some great resource concerning Amp power rating and matching the speakers, seems that as long as I get a speaker cab with a good sensitivity rating 50 watt's will be loud enough. Having the added (clean) headroom of a 100w will be nice to have on tap but for the two or tree clean parts we play a 50 watt head might indeed be more suitable for my purpose.

Thank you guys for all the help. I'm going to think a little about all i've learned today to make a good decision, probably somewhere early january

Not sure where you looked at, but stop looking there.
Speaker sensitivity is related to single speakers and not cabs, and most importantly it's not measured in watts.
The sensitivity is that Xw x 1db @ 1m thing, which in guitar speakers ranges from 85 to 100 db more or less, and most of them are higher than 94.
The watts thing is the power handling, which is about how much power can you run through them before melting the coils, and it's usually not a problem since the speakers which are considered "low power" are rated at no less than 50w, which is watt-a-plenty if you use a 2x12 cab.
Still you may have to look at different speakers if you have a more than 100w head but most of the speakers are rated at more than 50w anyway.
Also, 50w vs 100w are 3db, which is not really loud actually.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
50W is enough to shatter your windows (figuratively speaking) and make your drummer run away screaming in terror (not figuratively speaking. his ears will beg for mercy). Its loud enough I'm sure.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
If it fits in your budget, Laney Ironheart all the way.
I do own a blackstar ht stage 100. this is a ****ing loud amp (can a 100w amp could be consiedered quiet? ) and it is a great amp. The other guitarist in my band owns a Bugera 6262 and both of us prefers my blackstar. Also, Bugera is not tank built. I would not gig with this amp as it coud let me down easily. Peavey 5150 are alsways recommended by a lot of person, personnally not a fan of them, but some people are able to get some good tone out of it. Check out some used ENGL amps, they are abdass, and in Europe you could get one used under 800 ( Fireball or Ironaball). +1 for Randall too
Jackson DK2FS
Fernandes FR-65

Morley pro series pedal
BBE two time Delay
Empress Nebulus
Subdecay Quantum Quasar
Solid Gold FX Nitro

Blackstar HT stage 100
Marshal 1922 2x12 (V-30, Greenback)
Ive been in a similar boat to you OP.
From reading all this ive changed my mind about getting a JCA50h. Starting to think im better off with either an Ironheart 60h, A Randall RD45 or bite the bullet and get a 6505/+

Imo, the 6505 all the way
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals