Hi everyone

Basically, I have a ridiculous setup which I really don't need but I really like it and never want to get rid of it but I have literally no idea how to rig it up

The gear I have is as follows:
- Blackstar HT Metal 100 Amp Head
- Blackstar HT Metal 408 4x8 Cabinet
- Boss GT-100
- Blackstar HT Metal Pedal (dual stompbox)
- Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer
- Zvex Fuzz Factory
- Digitech Whammy 5
- Dunlop Cry Baby

- The Amp head has an effects loop send and return (do I need to use that???)
- GT-100 has an effects loop send and return, an amp control?? and a "SUB CTL 1.2/SUB EXP <----- What the heck is that??? (do I need to use any of these?)
- HT Metak Pedal has standard input and output, but also an emulated output.. When would I need to use this?
- Then the other pedals have the standard input and outputs

What is the best effects chain I can use for this rig?

Guitar > ???????????? > Amp
(??????????? Being all the pedals )

Is there any clever techies or musicians out there who can help a fellow guitarist out?
Than yooouuuuu

p.s Sorry for all the questions :/ :P
Regarding your "best fx chain", nobody here can just answer that imo. By the looks of things, you're a metal guy and enjoy some killer tones; why don't you plug stuff in and mess around for something YOU want to hear?

You have all of this sweet gear, why don't you actually give it a go? As for the gt-100 question, i believe its for sending into and of your amp, given that your plugged into your map, I think? I'm pretty sure I'm giving bad advice though so don't trust me on that one. I own a gt-6, but not enough effects to use the send/out effect loop thing.

You make it sound like you NEED to follow a certain setup to get a great tone. IMO I'd just go with your metal pedals first, then the TS, then the gt-100 (for any other effect than distortion) then whammys and such then into your amp. I would kill for your gear dude, seriously, get off the computer, sit down and mess with it all for days on end
Current Gear:
New York Pro - 5 String Beaut
Some tom delonge green strat my friend made
Boss GT-6
Eden DC210XLT Metro Bass Combo 500W (if anyone else has this model and has any insight about it, do pm me)
Set the multifx aside for headphone practice, plug the head into the cab using speaker cable, plug all your pedals int the front and commence headbanging or whatever you metal guys do. That's it
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by smallt15
Hi everyone

Basically, I have a ridiculous setup which I really don't need but I really like it and never want to get rid of it but I have literally no idea how to rig it up

The gear I have is as follows:
- Blackstar HT Metal 100 Amp Head
- Blackstar HT Metal 408 4x8 Cabinet
- Boss GT-100
- Blackstar HT Metal Pedal (dual stompbox)
- Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer
- Zvex Fuzz Factory
- Digitech Whammy 5
- Dunlop Cry Baby

- The Amp head has an effects loop send and return (do I need to use that???)
- GT-100 has an effects loop send and return, an amp control?? and a "SUB CTL 1.2/SUB EXP <----- What the heck is that??? (do I need to use any of these?)
- HT Metak Pedal has standard input and output, but also an emulated output.. When would I need to use this?
- Then the other pedals have the standard input and outputs

What is the best effects chain I can use for this rig?

Guitar > ???????????? > Amp
(??????????? Being all the pedals )

Is there any clever techies or musicians out there who can help a fellow guitarist out?
Than yooouuuuu

p.s Sorry for all the questions :/ :P

Sounds like you need to read the manual that the amp came with.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
What do you mean by"4x8 cab" if it is four 8' speakers you need a cab with 12" speakers.

Look up the four cable method. That should help you out too
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Dec 10, 2013,
Be careful your cab is rated at 60 watts but the amp is 100 so it will be very easy to blow the cab if your not extremely careful (and I mean very easy to blow). I'd take the cab back and get a 2x12 cab at least.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Be careful your cab is rated at 60 watts but the amp is 100 so it will be very easy to blow the cab if your not extremely careful (and I mean very easy to blow). I'd take the cab back and get a 2x12 cab at least.

+3.1415.

Take the grill off of the back. I want to watch the speakers blow.

Seriously you have no idea what you are doing and wreck something
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I'm going to go under the assumption that you have a 4x12 cab, not a 4x8. Also, I can't stress this enough, READ THE MANUAL FOR THE GT-10. With any effects processor, and especially if you're new to multi-fx, you need to read the manual.

As far as set-up, here is how I'd set this up:

1) Obviously, set up your amp. Head into cab. Nothing fancy.

2) Run your dirt pedals, wah, and whammy into the input of the amplifier. The order of these will have an effect on your tone, and on how the pedals function. To start, here's how I would have the signal chain: Guitar>BS HT>Zvex>TS>Wah>Whammy>Amp.

3) Run the GT-10 into the amp's effect loop. Obviously, you need one cable running from the GT to the amp's loop input, and then one running from the loop's output back to the GT.

That's the easy part. Now, let's talk tone and functionality.

You have a ton of tonal options because of the pedals you have, the GT, and the fact that you have a 3 channel amp. If you don't know the uses of overdrive, distortion, and fuzz, do a google search and learn.

As far as the GT goes, turn off amp modelling on ALL the patches. You'll only be using the GT for it's effects, not it's modelling. So, your GT will be where all your delay, chorus, reverb, modulation, etc. comes from.

I'm going to assume you're probably going to be playing heavy rock and some variants of metal, so here's a brief rundown of how I'd use this setup:

1) Set your clean channel to your taste for the type of clean sound you want. Now, adjust the settings on the Blackstar Distortion to taste. With this, you'll go from clean to dirty using the pedal.

2) Channel 2 will be your "crunch" channel. Set it to your main dirty rhythm tone. Now, to the Tubescreamer. Crank the volume, set the tone to taste, and turn the gain knob to little to nothing. Using the TS to front-end a dirty signal will tighten up the low end, and add some mids.

3) The Fuzz is really the wildcard here. You could set it to be used in conjunction with your clean channel (which I would do), or you could set to it be more subtle.

4) Set channel 3, your "lead" channel, to be a volume boost for leads. I'd use mainly the same settings as channel 2, with maybe a little more mids and gain.

5) Back to the GT-10. Set up patches for any delays, chorus, reverb, and other non-gain effects you want. You could, instead of using channel 3 of the amp as a volume boost for leads, you could use the GT as a volume boost as well.

Hope this helps, but in reality, I have only hit on a few options you have. If you're confused by any or all of my suggestions, get online and start reading. Read the GT-10 manual, too.

And if you don't know how to use all the gear you have, just how and why did you acquire all this stuff?
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
Last edited by sjones at Dec 11, 2013,
Quote by sjones
I'm going to go under the assumption that you have a 4x12 cab, not a 4x8. Also, I can't stress this enough, READ THE MANUAL FOR THE GT-10. With any effects processor, and especially if you're new to multi-fx, you need to read the manual.

As far as set-up, here is how I'd set this up:

1) Obviously, set up your amp. Head into cab. Nothing fancy.

2) Run your dirt pedals, wah, and whammy into the input of the amplifier. The order of these will have an effect on your tone, and on how the pedals function. To start, here's how I would have the signal chain: Guitar>BS HT>Zvex>TS>Wah>Whammy>Amp.

3) Run the GT-10 into the amp's effect loop. Obviously, you need one cable running from the GT to the amp's loop input, and then one running from the loop's output back to the GT.

That's the easy part. Now, let's talk tone and functionality.

You have a ton of tonal options because of the pedals you have, the GT, and the fact that you have a 3 channel amp. If you don't know the uses of overdrive, distortion, and fuzz, do a google search and learn.

As far as the GT goes, turn off amp modelling on ALL the patches. You'll only be using the GT for it's effects, not it's modelling. So, your GT will be where all your delay, chorus, reverb, modulation, etc. comes from.

I'm going to assume you're probably going to be playing heavy rock and some variants of metal, so here's a brief rundown of how I'd use this setup:

1) Set your clean channel to your taste for the type of clean sound you want. Now, adjust the settings on the Blackstar Distortion to taste. With this, you'll go from clean to dirty using the pedal.

2) Channel 2 will be your "crunch" channel. Set it to your main dirty rhythm tone. Now, to the Tubescreamer. Crank the volume, set the tone to taste, and turn the gain knob to little to nothing. Using the TS to front-end a dirty signal will tighten up the low end, and add some mids.

3) The Fuzz is really the wildcard here. You could set it to be used in conjunction with your clean channel (which I would do), or you could set to it be more subtle.

4) Set channel 3, your "lead" channel, to be a volume boost for leads. I'd use mainly the same settings as channel 2, with maybe a little more mids and gain.

5) Back to the GT-10. Set up patches for any delays, chorus, reverb, and other non-gain effects you want. You could, instead of using channel 3 of the amp as a volume boost for leads, you could use the GT as a volume boost as well.

Hope this helps, but in reality, I have only hit on a few options you have. If you're confused by any or all of my suggestions, get online and start reading. Read the GT-10 manual, too.

And if you don't know how to use all the gear you have, just how and why did you acquire all this stuff?

For all you who keep thinking 4x12 here's the web address for the 4x8
http://www.blackstaramps.com/products/ht-metal-408/

It's irrelevant now though, I'm gunna sell it and get this
http://www.pmtonline.co.uk/blackstar-htv-212-guitar-speaker-cabinet.html

Because of what Robbgnarly said.. I don't wanna break it haha...

Sjones. I Love You. Thank you so much Appreciated
Quote by smallt15
For all you who keep thinking 4x12 here's the web address for the 4x8
http://www.blackstaramps.com/products/ht-metal-408/

It's irrelevant now though, I'm gunna sell it and get this
http://www.pmtonline.co.uk/blackstar-htv-212-guitar-speaker-cabinet.html

Because of what Robbgnarly said.. I don't wanna break it haha...

Sjones. I Love You. Thank you so much Appreciated

Do you have to order from that site/store? the Harley Benton G212vintage from Thomann is a better cab, better speakers and <200GBP
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The real question I ask myself is how/why did TS end up with all of that gear when he seems to not have the foggiest idea of what he's doing...

That's like someone wanting to get into sailing and somehow they end up with a nuclear submarine.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Last edited by KailM at Dec 11, 2013,
Quote by KailM
The real question I ask myself is how/why did TS end up with all of that gear when he seems to not have the foggiest idea of what he's doing...

That's like someone wanting to get into sailing and somehow they end up with a nuclear submarine.

SO IT WAS YOU THAT STOLE MY SUBMARINE!
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
In terms of the GT-100, you want to use the 4 cable method. To set it up, you want these connections:
1. Guitar to the input of the GT-100
2. Send of the GT-100 to the amp's input
3. Return of the GT-100 to the amp's send
4. GT-100 output to the amp's return

On the GT-100, when routing effects, the send/return will be your amp. Make sure the send/return are turned on. You can move it around. Anything before it will go into the amp's input and anything after it will go into effects loop. If you use a preamp on it, you want to turn the send/return off on the GT-100 so that the actual amp gets no signal and you just get the preamp from the GT-100.

In terms of the other effects, there are really no rules. Just put them somewhere in any order and see what you like. Experimentation is key. For example, some people prefer the drives before wah and some people like it after. But they will most likely go before the amp. Before the GT-100 would be between the guitar and input of it and after it would be between the send of the GT-100 and the amp's input. You don't need the HT-Metal pedal since it's basically what the pedal version of the amp. The only way I can see the HT-Metal being useful is if you want to get adventurous and use it with one of the GT-100's preamps.

Don't worry about anything else. This setup is going to be overly complicated especially if you don't know what you're doing. I would honestly just get to know everything individually before trying to combine everything together. The single pedals won't be that difficult but the GT-100 will be very intense if you don't know about effects and effects routing. When figuring out the GT-100, only use that with the 4-cable method. Unplug everything else until you know how you want to everything. The best advice I can give for setting up the GT-100 is to change the phrase loop from performance to patch edit and record something. That way you can edit parameters and the chain more easily.
Quote by KailM

I know exactly how to use them etc.. I have made loads of sounds and stuff and set each of the pedals to how i want them. I just didnt think I was using the GT100 to its full potential and therefore I wanted to know how to use the Send/Return function properly
Then read the manual. That's what it's there for, it would be kind of silly for us to rewrite the thing for you here
Sell your digital multi-FX, buy boutique analog effects, post in the Post-Rock gear thread, grow your hair out, get mad that all your friends don't know who This Will Destroy You is, develop very serious opinions on which GSY!BE album is the loneliest...
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by smallt15
I know exactly how to use them etc.. I have made loads of sounds and stuff and set each of the pedals to how i want them. I just didnt think I was using the GT100 to its full potential and therefore I wanted to know how to use the Send/Return function properly

If I were you I would also take the HT metal pedal back, your amp has the same circuit built into it, so it is kinda pointless having it, I'd look at a Tube screamer OD type pedal but your GT100 should have that covered also
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate