Page 1 of 3
Hey folks.

Like any other guy on here, I got a little dream of mine, of becoming a musician. I write my own stuff, play guitar, sing and all that, and I'm in the dying months of my time in highschool.

I the next year or 2 i plan on moving to the UK to chase my dream, and my question to all you UG's (hopefully loads of you come from the UK) is this:

Which city is the best? I've played some gigs in my hometown (I live in Denmark, so dont say "Move to the US.. That's not really an option for me), in the local pubs and all that, and I want to know which city has the best opportunities for a young guy such as myself.

Things to take into consideration should be "How many pubs with live music are there?" and how expensive are the appartments.. Stuff like that

I'm sure this thread will also be of help to others Fire away guys.
There's only one boss I listen to, and that's why I'm unemployed.
Why not LA or New York? Assuming you're American.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Not London.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by lolmnt
Why not LA or New York? Assuming you're American.

I was going to say the same thing but he's from Denmark.
Quote by whywefight
I was going to say the same thing but he's from Denmark.
okay

Hey, why not New York or LA?
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by K'Nuckles
Absolutely not London. You'll go broke double time and have to hitch it back to Denmark. I'd say Bristol could be a shout, but the cost of living is way too high there as well. Maybe somewhere a bit further north?

Yeah, that's what i thought. It might have the best opportunities for young startups, but i'd go broke in 3 months.. Btw, I got around 2000 pounds right now in savings, for moving costs and as supplements for food and rent and stuff like that, in case i can't pay it all
London has the best scene, but the highest cost of living. Most of the South is going to be too expensive for someone looking to make a living off music. Manchester or somewhere else North wouldn't be too bad, but you will have to make sure you can get a different job to tide you by until you become the Beatles.
Quote by Baby Joel
London has the best scene, but the highest cost of living. Most of the South is going to be too expensive for someone looking to make a living off music. Manchester or somewhere else North wouldn't be too bad, but you will have to make sure you can get a different job to tide you by until you become the Beatles.

Well, I'm expecting to be living a pretty modest life for quite a while, but it's really just about being able to live off of the music if i can. You can always dream though, right
(I live in Denmark, so dont say "Move to the US.. That's not really an option for me
Why not? I'm gonna say move to NY or LA anyways just cuz.
Bristol, Manchester, Brighton, Leeds, London.
You thinking of studying music or just moving here as a muscian?
Quote by seanlang01
Why not? I'm gonna say move to NY or LA anyways just cuz.

Well, first of all, i wouldn't ever be able to afford it, and second, it would be best if I could stay close to my family. I know you gotta make sacrifices, but if I could stay close to them, that would be the preferred choice.
Quote by slayer_rule_\m/
Bristol, Manchester, Brighton, Leeds, London.
You thinking of studying music or just moving here as a muscian?

Tbh, studying music would be a waste of time for me, since on don't plan on teaching. Just want to play And I could get a free education here in Denmark, so it would be dumb to move to England just to pay for it. (i know it might be better, but still..)
Quote by MarcFlink
Well, first of all, i wouldn't ever be able to afford it, and second, it would be best if I could stay close to my family. I know you gotta make sacrifices, but if I could stay close to them, that would be the preferred choice.
I gotcha. I'm gonna go with K'Nuckles and say Sweden would be another good bet. Anything in particular the UK has about its music scene that makes it so appealing?
Quote by K'Nuckles
Hey, why don't you go to Sweden or something? Göteborg's supposedly pretty good.

EDIT: Actually no, Sweden is hella expensive.

And.. Swedish people live there... With they annoying language... It is basically danish, but even more ridiculous. God, i can't stand swedish.
manchester or leeds

london is too expensive
now extra flamey
Quote by seanlang01
I gotcha. I'm gonna go with K'Nuckles and say Sweden would be another good bet. Anything in particular the UK has about its music scene that makes it so appealing?

Well, first of all, they speak English, and i sing and write in English. Sweden is also insanely expensive. Those taxes.. jesus.. The UK is appealing because it is the only place I can see a chance, tiny and ridiculously slim as it might be, of making it. The folkrock scene has also seen a boost in the last couple of years, and the fact that Jake Bugg is making it, makes me think i can as well, y'know?

Most of my favorite artists of all time come from the UK, and my other favorite artists were all massively popular in the UK. Neil Young, Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, Queen, Jake Bugg, Oasis etc... I play something like Neil young/ Bob Dylan/ Acoustic Springsteen/ Jake Bugg.. I guess...
Quote by Ikey
manchester or leeds

london is too expensive

Can anyone vouch for these? Maybe from personal experience or something?
Quote by Soldier Poet
I'm thinking of doing this myself one day. How about Edinburgh?

Interesting. I had given it a thought myself. Like the other post i just made: Can anyone vouch for this?
Quote by K'Nuckles
This is coming from someone where rød grød med fløde comes from?

What? We're proud of our silly extra letters

And it's funny when foreigners say it :p

Btw. If anyone could please tell me how to put multiple quotes into one comment, then that would be great...
Last edited by MarcFlink at Dec 10, 2013,
Quote by MarcFlink
Tbh, studying music would be a waste of time for me, since on don't plan on teaching. Just want to play And I could get a free education here in Denmark, so it would be dumb to move to England just to pay for it. (i know it might be better, but still..)

You could study for free in Scotland.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Göteberg is mean't to have an amazing metal scene. A friend of mine is from there and she loves it.

The UK is a terrible place for all things alternative to mainstream.
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
Quote by Hydra150
You could study for free in Scotland.

I'm pretty sure thats only if you're a Scottish citizen.

Quote by metal4eva_22
Quote by lolmnt

Hey, why not New York or LA?

NY is the worst place for musicians. The cost of living is a goddamn joke, and that's not even factoring in the musician (aka unemployed) part.

LA is a lot better but the competition is insane.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Nero Galon
I'm pretty sure thats only if you're a Scottish citizen.

Nah, EU residents.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by MarcFlink

Silly.
(()____(Main Rig)____())>

Carvin CS4 Goldtop
PRS Santana SE
Carvin SC90
Washburn Taurus 5-string Bass
Peavey 6505
Carvin v3m
Carvin 2x12
Spider Valve Cab
Plenty of Pedals.
Quote by Hydra150
Nah, EU residents.

Thats pretty awesome.

Quote by metal4eva_22
Page 1 of 3