We have recorded a new ep, we wanted to do it as simply as possible, so recorded live all in the same room, we used 2 mics for drums one for guitar and one for bass, we then did a separate track for vocals using an original neuman u47.

Http://Snakeuk.bandcamp.com

Would really appreciate feedback, whether good bad, anything. If your in to it give us a like on facebook.

Cheers

Will

Www.facebook.com/snakeuk
I don't have time to listen right now, but I was to voice my support for this to remain here in the main recordings forum. I know these things usually get moved to the critique sub-forums, but I'd like this to stay here so we can discuss the merits/practice of analog recording versus digital. I'll report back later once I can listen and discuss!
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
The quality was better than I expected, reminds me of some old-school punk. Maybe compress your vocalist a little more at the beginning of colours, other than that it's a solid jam with only 4 mics.

This might just be my opinion, but your vocals are annoying during the chorus of FAF

Did you guys consider doing drums and bass in one go, guitar with 2 mics in another, then doing vocals, then maybe even doing a full jam w/o vocals? I feel like you'd get some sweeter old-school definition that way, might just be me though
Current Gear:
New York Pro - 5 String Beaut
Some tom delonge green strat my friend made
Boss GT-6
Eden DC210XLT Metro Bass Combo 500W (if anyone else has this model and has any insight about it, do pm me)
Sounds raw. I like it!

The kick seems to be ducking the overhead(s) a bit and I'm finding it a little annoying. You could also make the kick a bit more clicky if possible. The bass is a bit all over the place level wise, could do with more compression and a bit more shaping with EQ. Also vocals feel just a tiny bit thin, add a bit more body with EQ possibly. These things are just me being picky though!

Other than that I think sounds really cool! Proof that you don't need all the mics to make a sweet sounding track. What mics did you use for the drums, was it a kick and an overhead?
Quote by Sid McCall
I'd like this to stay here so we can discuss the merits/practice of analog recording versus digital.

Done to death, entirely subjective, full of rhetoric, and in the end, there is no answer. Kinda like the debate of PC vs Mac.

My $0.03.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
I like the idea and I get what you were trying to do, as far as vibe is concerned, but levels are way off and I don't know if it's the OH mics, or just the cymbal your drummer is using, but that crash makes me want to shoot myself (no offense). There's a lot of pumping going on from the drums, as well. Those vocals are too loud, as well. They just jump out at you from the mix and actually sound kind of harsh IMO (which is weird, if you used a U47...).

Definitely sounds more raw and has a cool groove to it, but I feel like more attention to detail could have been taken.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Cheers for the replies and feedback! Iv taken everything on board and listened back through stuff with it in mind.

The drum mic wasn't and overhead it was just above the bass drum, and then another one in the bass drum.

I know what you mean about the cymbals i think that cymbal he uses just washes over things a bit much/is just too loud.

As for vocals, we have always had a problem with them seeming to harsh or loud, no matter how we record, anyone have any ideas of good ways to overcome this.

Also we did consider doing it as bass and drums and then guitar with two mics but decided against it and just overdubbed another guitar track on each instead.

Cheers for the feedback!

Will