I have a Gibson Golden Era Melody Maker. Its already super customized. My band calls it my bitty-banger...
Currently, it has two single coils, bridge and neck positions. As a result, I don't ever gig it. But I LOVE this guitar and I want to rock it!
I play EMG 81 85s on my other Gibsons and I love them, and want to install them on the bitty... since the guitar is so thin, and the original pickups are so tiny, will there be a lot of body surgery, to get this done? Has anyone else on here tried this on a Melody Maker before?

If it can be done, it'll be sick! Its currently, about a dozen steps better than the stock Melody Maker is, with all the work I've put into it and I want to break this baby out!
Quote by GibsonGirl90
I have a Gibson Golden Era Melody Maker. Its already super customized. My band calls it my bitty-banger...
Currently, it has two single coils, bridge and neck positions. As a result, I don't ever gig it. But I LOVE this guitar and I want to rock it!
I play EMG 81 85s on my other Gibsons and I love them, and want to install them on the bitty... since the guitar is so thin, and the original pickups are so tiny, will there be a lot of body surgery, to get this done? Has anyone else on here tried this on a Melody Maker before?

If it can be done, it'll be sick! Its currently, about a dozen steps better than the stock Melody Maker is, with all the work I've put into it and I want to break this baby out!

It will be quite extensive work for someone with no experience doing that type of wood work. You will need the right set of tools and the know how if you don't want to jack up your guitar.
Quote by GibsonGirl90

This is just Blasphemy EMG's in a Gibson is just wrong
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
This is just Blasphemy EMG's in a Gibson is just wrong

zakk wylde for the win

Quote by GibsonGirl90
I won't be doing the work myself, I just wonder how much work it'll take.

if you can't do it yourself, you're probably into "false economy" territory. you could probably buy a guitar with emgs for less, or at least not much more.

it's your money and your call, though, and if you really love it but think it'd be perfect with emgs, it might be worth it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well, I only gig guitars that I adore and guitars with EMG stock, just don't tickle my fancy much. Money isn't the issue, and I have a special guitar tech willing to do the work, he's just not very communicative O.o
Thus this thread...
But how much chopping are we talking here, do ya think? Cuz if its going to lose a lot of body, it might not be worth it at all. I have a flying V that I could rig up in stead... I just really want to play my MM at my band's shows!
I'm no luthier (!) but I'm guessing you'd need room for humbucker-sized pickups. and room for a battery (though you might be able to jimmy a battery into the existing cavities).

if you're really worried it might be better to try single coil sized humbuckers first, and see how you like the sound.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?