I am wondering if it's possible to combine two of my favorite amps, into "one." I have a Marshall Valvestate and a Peavey 6505 112.

What I am wanting to do, is run both amps, but have the combined sound come out of ONE speaker. (The 6505) is there a way to do this? Both amps have an effects loop, and I also have a "Y" cord.

Again, I want the COMBINED sound of both amps coming from only ONE speaker.

Thanks for any input!
yep.. a "Y" cord isn't your answer though

An A B Y box is what you need...
you can find one Here

[Edit]
Ok.. just read the part about 2 amps into one speaker... not sure about using this for one speaker.... I know there are "Stereo" Cabs that are wired to input 2 amps... but they have 2 speakers ... You'll probably blow the speaker inputting the combined wattage of both speakers, if it'll even work... I'm not an expert, but I'm not the expert

The box is more for one guitar into two amps...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Last edited by Papabear505 at Dec 10, 2013,
No no no, don't use an ABY box into one speaker, you'll blow up both amps. You cannot connect both amps to the same speaker and have them both on at the same time. Well, you could, technically, but it would be way more expensive than this idea is worth.

You could plug into both inputs, then use a Y-cable or ABY from both "send" jacks to one amp's "return" jack on the effects loop. If one of the amps has a parallel loop instead of a series you could just use one cable from the other amp's send to that amp's return. This method bypasses the power amp of the "send" only amp, but there's really no reasonable way of getting two amps through the same speaker.

Usually the entire point of using two amps is to get a nice stereo image, or to blend the amp's sounds, and running them this way makes it hard to blend them nicely, and of course removes that stereo effect. Try it if you like, I just don't see any benefit or point in doing this.
Quote by Roc8995
No no no, don't use an ABY box into one speaker, you'll blow up both amps.

AHA!! the expert I mentioned has arrived...

didn't think that would work..
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
What Colin said. You need two speakers, one for each power amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Designing a power amp section that would blend both signals from the fx loop or preamp outputs would be feasible, but it would not sound great:

1- if it is a Do It Yourself amp it would likely introduce a lot of noise due to the quality of components and connections made by a DIYer with no previous experience

2- Both signals from both amps "contain" a different frequency spectrum, even if the same note or chord is sent through them (mix of low, mid and high frequencies) that gives them the character you like in the sound you hear and that makes the differences between each amp model, brand, and even factory runs. Combining two outputs from 2 different amps (so with 2 different frequency spectrums and different analog microdelays (the very short time the signal is sent through the amp and gets out to the speaker)) in a mono signal would result in some frequencies cancelled, other amplified: the resulting sound would sound nothing like the individual amp sounds that you like or the stereo combination with two speakers.

If you are interested in this kind of knowledge, you need to learn about electrical engineering
AGEGBand
Guitar / Bass / Keyboard / Back Vocals

Sterling JP50, Fender CP Jazzmaster, Danelectro Danoblaster 12 strings, Aria 5102T, Epiphone LP STD 7 string => Carvin V3M

Peavey Cirrus BXP-5 => Trace Elliot GP7SM250

Korg X50
Quote by Anthoje
If you are interested in this kind of knowledge, you need to learn about electrical engineering

wish i didnt switch to civil while i was still in elg :P I tried getting into building my own tube amp and amps this summer until i was confronted with sooo many schematics and readings upon readings regarding electronics and such (that all seemed too familiar to things my friends are all doing for homework) that I felt stupid for switching in the first place. And thanks to you, that same feeling has come back to me.

TS, there's so much more to this than you'd think. Just stick to playing out of one at a time if youre on a budget, bud
Current Gear:
New York Pro - 5 String Beaut
Some tom delonge green strat my friend made
Boss GT-6
Eden DC210XLT Metro Bass Combo 500W (if anyone else has this model and has any insight about it, do pm me)
[quote="dudester410that I felt stupid for switching in the first place. And thanks to you, that same feeling has come back to me.

[/QUOTE"]

I did Mechanical engineering and I am now doing a master in Acoustics and learned electronic stuff in parallel by myself: if you are interested enough in a topic (virtually anything), have some spare time and have high speed internet, there are practically no limits to what you can learn today.

TS & others: there is this free online course that you can follow online if you have some time this winter. Coursera offers a lot of high quality, university level, free courses, with technical support. There are dedicated forums for each courses, an assignment system so you are motivated to read or watch each week's material and apply your learning to develop your skills. I followed a music programming course (Chuck) this semester and it was really fun! I encourage everyone to try one of these courses.
https://www.coursera.org/course/audiomusicengpart1
AGEGBand
Guitar / Bass / Keyboard / Back Vocals

Sterling JP50, Fender CP Jazzmaster, Danelectro Danoblaster 12 strings, Aria 5102T, Epiphone LP STD 7 string => Carvin V3M

Peavey Cirrus BXP-5 => Trace Elliot GP7SM250

Korg X50