I always wondered if touch typing could be considered the same mental discipline used when improvising and shredding on a guitar.

Would you think so? Obviously you need to practice and focus until it becomes natural.
Sure. How on earth are you supposed to think and play guitar at the same time?

This is true for everything really. The whole goal is to make playing second nature, but that does not come without long periods of intense training and focus. No one improvises without preparing.
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
Last edited by Jet Penguin at Dec 10, 2013,
Touch typing is a skill which can be picked up naturally by just looking at the screen and not the keyboard every time someone uses a computer. The only discipline required is the ability to press the backspace button every time you mis-spell a word. It's not the same as improvising on a musical instrument.
Quote by kingking22
Touch typing is a skill which can be picked up naturally by just looking at the screen and not the keyboard every time someone uses a computer. The only discipline required is the ability to press the backspace button every time you mis-spell a word. It's not the same as improvising on a musical instrument.

When you touch type it's basically like having the ability to type what you're thinking without thinking about what keys your pressing. It's virtually gone after you have the mentality of just knowing what key's you're pressing. You're typing in real-time.

I would of thought that it would be somewhat similar on improvising on a guitar.
You can't stop and think about what fret's you're messing with or else you're doing just that, stopping and not playing.

While there is some stream of thought in the process, it's more automatic reactions to what you're doing than concentrated thought.
Quote by Clay-man
When you touch type it's basically like having the ability to type what you're thinking without thinking about what keys your pressing. It's virtually gone after you have the mentality of just knowing what key's you're pressing. You're typing in real-time.

I would of thought that it would be somewhat similar on improvising on a guitar.

Depends on what someone is touch typing. If someone is touch typing and at the same time thinking of an interesting story or rhyme or something to type. Then it can be slightly comparable to improvising on a guitar. But Touch typing by itself is just a motor skill, it requires no creative thinking. I can touch type up a shopping list right now and it's not going be anything remotely close to improvising.
Last edited by kingking22 at Dec 11, 2013,
They are kinda the same, but there are big differences. Touch typing involves fairly symmetric movements of fingers, where as guitar have two very different finger movements on each hand simultaneously. Good touch typing involves typing several letters at a time as a 'primitive'. A bit like licks maybe. But the rules for stringing together primitives and letters are more strict than music, since you are normally trying to put together words that make sense. So I think there are a lot more finger movements in typing than in music just to play/type a phrase.
Most touch typing does not require bends and vibrato, unused key muting, harmonics, hand position changes, and dynamics are rarely considered.
Last edited by innovine at Dec 11, 2013,
Quote by Clay-man
I always wondered if touch typing could be considered the same mental discipline used when improvising and shredding on a guitar.

Would you think so? Obviously you need to practice and focus until it becomes natural.

Shredding is just a generic term for fast, accurate guitar playing. However playing the guitar is again playing music, sp whilst there's no composition element you're still having to pay attention to things like your timing and note articulation.

You can't stop and think about what fret's you're messing with or else you're doing just that, stopping and not playing.

Actually thinking is EXACTLY what you should be doing, improvising comes from the guitarist, not the guitar. You don't just move your hands and hope for the best, you have to have an idea in your head of what it is you want to create. Great musicians still think, they're just that good that they don't need to stop what they're doing to do it. Typing is purely a mechanical process, move finger press key so they're not related at all. Improvising is like writing a book, and nobody ever wrote one of those just using their physical abilities.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Shredding is just a generic term for fast, accurate guitar playing. However playing the guitar is again playing music, sp whilst there's no composition element you're still having to pay attention to things like your timing and note articulation.

Actually thinking is EXACTLY what you should be doing, improvising comes from the guitarist, not the guitar. You don't just move your hands and hope for the best, you have to have an idea in your head of what it is you want to create. Great musicians still think, they're just that good that they don't need to stop what they're doing to do it. Typing is purely a mechanical process, move finger press key so they're not related at all. Improvising is like writing a book, and nobody ever wrote one of those just using their physical abilities.

I know, but that's not what I mean. Of course you have to think, but I meant your thoughts shift focus from finding the notes you want to only thinking about what notes you want to play.
Quote by Clay-man
I know, but that's not what I mean. Of course you have to think, but I meant your thoughts shift focus from finding the notes you want to only thinking about what notes you want to play.

In that regard, yes it is a lot like touch typing. In the same way that once you know what you're doing with a keyboard you don't think about the letters or even necessarily words any more you think about the expression, so with playing guitar you end up not thinking about the process of playing notes; you end up thinking about the musical ideas you want to express.

That's what all this practice is about:

We practice so that we can forget we have practiced.

Obviously there's a lot more to do in order to get to that point with playing guitar, it's not just about hitting the note like you simply hit a key, but that basic idea; the idea that you spend all this time practicing so that you don't have to think about the process of playing, is very much the same.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Sit on the fence time: I'd say in some ways it's the same (muscle memory etc.) but obviously with music you want it to be musical as well.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Sit on the fence time: I'd say in some ways it's the same (muscle memory etc.) but obviously with music you want it to be musical as well.

With typing you want them to be good words; either way it's a mechanical skill that allows you to get your ideas out

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I'd have thought touch-typing was a kind of secretarial skill- can lots of writers actually touch-type? I could be wrong, maybe they can.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I'd have thought touch-typing was a kind of secretarial skill- can lots of writers actually touch-type? I could be wrong, maybe they can.

Now you're just being obtuse on purpose

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have a job where I write/type all day and I love to equate it to playing my guitar. (Mainly because i daydream about playing all day.) I like to listen to music while I write and then type along to the beat of the song.
Quote by Dave_Mc

Definitely. I just imagine notes being like the words you're trying to type in real time though. At least, that's how I type mostly. I type in real time without pre-thinking about what I want to type, and then I check it afterwards to see if everything is proper and got the message through.

Doing this on a guitar is definitely different though, at least a different mental region perhaps, since thinking of words and thinking of the notes you want to play require different parts of the brain, or I could be wrong and they are close together. Either way, I know it's not exactly the same, but it helps to know what mentality to have.

I can't even remember how I got to touch-typing stuff. I guess being a computer nerd for over 10 years it just comes in over that period of time.
The more you practice, the more "automatic" your motor skills. Like driving or typing. You become more dexterous with focus and repetition. You think when you type and drive still but the better description is it becomes more of an impulse - less taxing on your brain and you are free to think more musically instead of more mechanics.
I suppose this issue here is largely down to semantics....touch-typing is a skill, improvising is the application of a skill.

Shredding on the other hand is a largely meaningless words that people use to refer to all sorts of things.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com