Hey,

first, i did do a search on this-but as you can guess when you search vanhalen you tend to get a ton of random results haha.

ok, so here is my scenario, i'm interested in getting an early vanhalen brownsound (I have no idea why-seeing how my band does not in any way need it! I guess its for my own fun).

After doing some research, it turns out i already have an amp that can do a ton of the work (marshall vintage modern), and when i play around with the suggested settings others recommend I can tell that I'm headed in the right direction. However, my guitars in no way help me in my search (gibson les pauls and strats mainly).

So, I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on some budget guitars that might be a good starting point (as much as I'd like to get a music man axis, or a evh wolfgang I'm not interested in spending that much cash).
Cream fan club member #11.
The sterling axis are extremely affordable, apparently the trems on them arent great from what ive read, but if you want that shape then its well within reach.
Eddie played LPs and strats (with a humbucker) for some of that. He grew up here in SoCal and played in bars in the area. It's not your guitars that are holding you back in the least. Don't bother buying a guitar to get the sound; you're not going to find it there.

I'd suggest that you invest in a Wampler Pinnacle instead. http://www.wamplerpedals.com/aiab/pinnacle.html Give the videos and sound files (done with several different kinds of guitars) a listen and tell me what you think.
after doing some research, its likely my pickups that i'm having trouble with.

might grab a seymour duncan 78 custom-but i've still got to find a guitar i want to drop it into!

anyways, with this new found info, I can likely find something that suits my needs, but any further advise would be appreciated.
superstrat is the usual thing

as dspellman says the main thing is being able to play like eddie. but a superstrat with a not-too-hot bridge pickup will help if you can.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
true but you can get an approximation with a highish gain amp if you're ok with preamp distortion. an od pedal used as a boost will likely help, too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm telling ya, look at that Wamper Pinnacle pedal.

While you're there, if you're a Marshall fiend, check out the Plextortion as well. Severely cranked marshall sounds out of a Fender HRD...
I'm spent some time at that wamper pinnacle, very entreating.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Dec 13, 2013,
Superstrat with a hotter pickup (think SD Custom, Full Shred, Screamin' Demon or like a Dimarzio Super Distortion or Super 3), plus a Marshall.

In terms of sounding like him, you won't. But the tone will be close to achieving.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Quote by Snake™
Superstrat with a hotter pickup (think SD Custom, Full Shred, Screamin' Demon or like a Dimarzio Super Distortion or Super 3), plus a Marshall.

In terms of sounding like him, you won't. But the tone will be close to achieving.

Of those, the Screamin' Demon is the closest. A Pearly Gates might also work.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
You don't want a kramer striker, those are the made in korea, plywood bodied ones.

You'd want a Focus, if you want a budget kramer, as they were made in japan by the ESP company, and are really really good players. The necks on those guitars are to die for, and come with OFR, which probably sell for more than the guitar itself. The pickups could probably use an upgrade though.

If you're looking for a Van Halen style guitar, and a Van Halen Esque tone, a good kramer will definatly get you in the ballpark. The Pacer series and the Barrettas came stock with Duncan JB's, which are arguably some of the best PAF like pickups out there. Nice chunking mid range and some good screamin' highs.

Ah love kramers, and currently own 3. A striker 600st that ah've upgraded the wizzoo out of, a Focus 3000 with a JB in the bridge and various other wiring mods, and a 1986 Pacer Deluxe flip flop blue guitar with a maple neck.
Quote by mcraddict81592
If you need to kill a man with a 9v adapter? I say strangulate. Or swing the heavy end around and aim for the temple, all depends on your style.

FrankenBee Build
santa please give a stealth wolfgang with a killswitch.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by Jarrodthebobo
The Pacer series and the Barrettas came stock with Duncan JB's, which are arguably some of the best PAF like pickups out there.

They're way, way hotter than pafs. And way middier.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?